Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:49 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sfg4uKim Today at 3:52 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My compost was HOT!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My compost was HOT!

Post  Aub on 4/24/2011, 10:22 pm

For the first time ever my compost was HOT! I started a 2nd pile in a sunny area. It has grass clippings, chicken poop and pine shavings, and a little bit of kitchen scraps.
Madame Heap never got hot. I think it's because she's under a tree and doesn't get any sun. I think I will slowly start mixing the old pile into the new one.

Aub

Female Posts : 283

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My compost was HOT!

Post  AZDYJ2K on 4/25/2011, 2:17 am

I had a compost pile last year and it never really got "hot". Granted, I did have it under a tree also,however, I live in scorching Chandler, AZ. This year, I have it in the sun and hope it get's hot. I want to make sure all the nasty bad things get killed off.

AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/25/2011, 7:56 am

@Aub wrote:For the first time ever my compost was HOT!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec on 4/25/2011, 8:26 am

Congrats on hot compost! The reason your compost is hot though is because of the ingredients. It can be in the shade and if it has the right ingredients it will still get hot. Mine is in the sun too but is currently not hot - because of the ingredients. It also has worms though, which I am thrilled about. If it was hot the worms would be killed off (which has happened before). Heat is good for killing off weed seeds but worms are good for lots of other things, including worm castings. Grass clippings will make your compost hot in a flash. (That is what killed of my worms last year.) I think chicken poo will create the heat too. Regardless - you're on the way to some good compost! cheers

Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 4/25/2011, 12:21 pm

After reading this, decided to check mine this morning. It was warm in the center for the first time. I poured a gallon of compost tea in it last Thu. Smile

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 on 4/27/2011, 11:33 pm

@Bec wrote:Congrats on hot compost! The reason your compost is hot though is because of the ingredients. It can be in the shade and if it has the right ingredients it will still get hot. Mine is in the sun too but is currently not hot - because of the ingredients. It also has worms though, which I am thrilled about. If it was hot the worms would be killed off (which has happened before). Heat is good for killing off weed seeds but worms are good for lots of other things, including worm castings. Grass clippings will make your compost hot in a flash. (That is what killed of my worms last year.) I think chicken poo will create the heat too. Regardless - you're on the way to some good compost! cheers

How long does it take for compost to get hot? What can I do to get my compost to get hot? Should I not turn it as much? I have been turning it 5-6 times a day.

buttaflie143

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/27/2011, 11:40 pm

Congrats on Madame Heap's twin! You need to take note of what you did right.

When it comes to mulch, there is a such thing as spontaneous combustion. Rare, but it can happen. Spread it out for awhile or really wet it before putting it near your house. Just sayin'.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub on 4/27/2011, 11:45 pm

Once when I was a kid I went to throw something in to my dad's compost pile, which was just all of the lawn clippings and sticks we picked up, and it BLEW UP! It was scary! I don't remember what I put in but I know it wasn't a match. Just as I turned my back the whole thing went up.
My garden and compost piles (and various other piles) are at the end of our yard next to the chain link fence. It's a good stretch to the house. Plus we have had a lot of rain.

Aub

Female Posts : 283

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Make use of it

Post  NaturesApprentice on 4/28/2011, 2:04 pm

I think I saw a post in here about a guy in France or Begium back in the 70's that was in charge of a forest and had to keep the brush trimmed to avoid flash fires.

He turned the brush into a "fine" mulch, and then created big piles of it to compost into soil, but he did two really cool things...

1. He ran a coil of hose throughout the piles that he used to heat the water for his house.
2. He fermented a compost tea and trapped the methane it produced in old inner tubes. He then was able to transfer that to a pressurized cylinder that powered his jeep for the trips into town.

Seriously fun stuff. I love this place.

NaturesApprentice

Male Posts : 53

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yaffley on 4/28/2011, 3:48 pm

@buttaflie143 wrote:

How long does it take for compost to get hot? What can I do to get my compost to get hot? Should I not turn it as much? I have been turning it 5-6 times a day.
5-6 times a day is a little too much turning! Lots of oxygen in there, which is a Good Thing(tm) but too much for you to sustain. I'd leave it be and give it a turn once a week at the most. Oh, things like manure and grass get hot, and keeping it covered traps the heat in.
The rest of the time you have just saved, spend admiring your sfg.
All the best from Blighty
Y

Yaffley

Male Posts : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/28/2011, 4:05 pm

Yaffley, to the SFG Forum!! I agree with you about the amount of turning. I tend my compost pile about once a week. LOL, No worries Buttaflie, Compost is a process, not an event. Hang in there Woman!!
OH Yaf, I love your avatar!!!

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 4/28/2011, 5:56 pm

Welcome to Yaffley. Don't be a stranger, ya here? Jump over into the Welcome Mat so we can welcome you properly.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fiddleman on 4/28/2011, 6:03 pm

@buttaflie143 wrote:

I can read this question two ways: One- you rotate the drum once a day five or six revolutions, or,
Two- you rotate the drum one revolution 5 or 6 times a day.

First statement is okay, it will be fine. Second probably is too many times to get really nice colonies of bacteria working together.

Mark

fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/28/2011, 6:08 pm

I built my first compost pile of the year this past weekend. It is an open bin type. I just went out to check to see if it is heating up... sure enough, about 6" down the temp is about 135*F, or so my ancient meat thermometer says. Very Happy I am going to pick up a digital thermometer this weekend because I want to get an accurate reading of the pile's internal temperature.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v on 4/28/2011, 6:12 pm

@camprn wrote:I built my first compost pile of the year this past weekend. It is an open bin type. I just went out to check to see if it is heating up... sure enough, about 6" down the temp is about 135*F, or so my ancient meat thermometer says. Very Happy I am going to pick up a digital thermometer this weekend because I want to get an accurate reading of the pile's internal temperature.

I sit here laughing, all the years Ive had thermometers, for the children, for the adults, for the meat, for the candy and now I need one for the compost. I love it!!! Thats being well rounded thermometer wise dont you think?
Ha-v-v

Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 on 4/28/2011, 6:41 pm

@fiddleman wrote:
@buttaflie143 wrote:

you rotate the drum once a day five or six revolutions

Mark

You got it right the first time, sorry my post was so ambiguous. I rotate the drum once a day five or six revolutions and I was thinking that maybe I should let it sit awhile before giving it a whirl.

buttaflie143

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:51 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum