Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by sanderson Today at 4:06 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:03 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:59 am

» Amaranth
by sanderson Today at 2:45 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 2:29 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:03 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 4/29/2011, 9:30 pm

Heretofore (since January), I've been using a 1981 edition of Square Foot Gardening, but with the New SFG, I'm even more energized! See where I could have better done what I've already done, and decided on what I'm a'gonna do next better. (Not sure that makes sense.) Will expand the salad garden close to the kitchen, and make dedicated beds to produce vegetables especially for canning and freezing (we use lots of tomato sauces--various varieties. Will build and dedicate 4x4 beds just for garlic, selecting varieties to extend our harvest and provide a "flush" for spicy pickled garlic. Need a new 2 x 14 bed running along the fenceline for various beans and peas for both fresh and canning use, which will become the tomato bed next year, etc. Only things I've not decided on: how best to plant the three sisters (corn, beans, squash)...do I really need to make a 4 x 10 foot bed for this purpose? Whadda y'all think?

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Got my All new Square Foot Gardening book

Post  Furbalsmom on 4/30/2011, 2:07 pm

I hope boffer can jump in about your corn. Corn just doesn't like my little part of the coast, and the two years I tried it, absolutely nothing Evil or Very Mad I did have nice corn shocks to display over Halloween and Thanksgiving though.

So glad you got the new book. The ANSFG method is so much easier than the old. No digging or double digging to mix amendments into your native soil.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 4/30/2011, 7:20 pm

@Nonna.PapaVino wrote: Only things I've not decided on: how best to plant the three sisters (corn, beans, squash)...do I really need to make a 4 x 10 foot bed for this purpose? Whadda y'all think?

I don't think there are any benefits to growing corn in a box of MM when you start talking about more than a 4x4. For one thing, it would take forever to break even on your startup investment.

That being said, I grow my corn in the same 5 way compost that I make for my MM. And I usually stick a few squashes at one end of the corn patch, just because they're out of the way. Since part of the benefit of the three sisters is that the beans help fertilize the corn, it would be interesting to divide your patch in half to compare a 5way compost mix to, I dunno, something less nutritional?!

Let us know how it goes. There's always lots of talk by folks who are going to do it; there's seldom any feedback from folks who have done it.

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

All New SFG book

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/1/2011, 11:10 am

Boffer, you've now got me thinking about taking some of those old hay bales down in the barn, putting them in a rectangle and filling the center with Mel's Mix, where I will plant the corn. Then, perhaps dig out some holes in the bales, fill with compost mix and plant the squash. Beans, of course, will be interplanted with the corn. It would be easy to sink four stock fence posts at the corners of the "box" and string cord around the perimeter of the thing to help support the corn (considering the loosness of the MM, shallowness of corn roots, and vulnerability to wind being much taller than usual). Except for the new MM, no expense, which is a very good price.

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/1/2011, 11:18 am

@Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Boffer, you've now got me thinking about taking some of those old hay bales down in the barn, putting them in a rectangle and filling the center with Mel's Mix, where I will plant the corn. Then, perhaps dig out some holes in the bales, fill with compost mix and plant the squash. Beans, of course, will be interplanted with the corn. It would be easy to sink four stock fence posts at the corners of the "box" and string cord around the perimeter of the thing to help support the corn (considering the loosness of the MM, shallowness of corn roots, and vulnerability to wind being much taller than usual). Except for the new MM, no expense, which is a very good price.

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:25 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum