Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by sanderson Today at 4:06 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:03 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:59 am

» Amaranth
by sanderson Today at 2:45 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 2:29 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:03 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Showing off!

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Showing off!

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/19/2011, 6:34 pm

Close, Josh, but no cigar. The turkey vulture you photographed is a raptor, but not Buteo buteo, the Eurpoean Buzzard, which is a variety of hawk. Yes, both birds eat meat, but only the hawks, eagles, falcons kill their dinner, while vultures look for something someone else killed. Having said that, an ex-family member once raised a baby turkey vulture. They fed it only cooked meat, and it never learned to eat road kill. Funny thing, it bonded with his young rescuer, and would follow him to the school bus stop until the bus came, then the bird would return to the farm house. But it knew when to return to the bus stop to welcome his master home. They're smarter than they look. We love to sit on the deck and watch them soar over the valley below our house. Sometimes they roost in the trees behind the house, which is a sight when 7 to 12 choose various limbs to sit on. We tell them: "We're old, but not THAT old."

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips on 5/19/2011, 10:09 pm

Simply "Beautiful" Pictures

CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 778

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/20/2011, 9:18 am

Yup, you're right. He's not on my list. I haven't ever seen a buzzard in my backyard. However, it reminds me of a joke...

Two buzzards sitting in a tree out in west Texas. One simply looks at the other and says, "Patience, hell, let's kill something."

I see them circling around from time to time, but haven't had the chance to grab an image yet. All birds have their places....like you and me and the guy we don't understand.

The small town I used to live in had them in huge flocks. They would hang out on the rip-rap of the resevoir and sun themselves. I've seen hundreds of them at a time. Mother Nature can be really strange sometimes.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh on 5/20/2011, 5:41 pm

Thanks for the correct name Nonna, I can't imagine having one for a pet, and following me to school!
There is only one other thing I can think of that's uglier and that's a coyote, and I've never seen one till this morning while waiting for the bus to pick me up for school, across the street this one was sitting there. I hear them at night, but haven't seen any. This one was hurt, it was limping, maybe a car had hit it.

cyote2

I have a prettier picture I took today, it's a Eastern Bluebird,
Josh Greene Eastern Bluebird

Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

View user profile http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/20/2011, 6:48 pm

Josh, you're getting good fast. Keep up the practice!! Great bluebird shot. The composition is very nice. And, your depth of field is excellent.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/20/2011, 8:39 pm

Josh, your picture of the Eastern Bluebird is wonderful! I've never seen one in real life. But then, I've lived most of my life in Idaho, Oregon, Texas and Alaska....not part of Eastern Bluebird habitat. But we do try to maintain the local birds with three seed/suet feeders, and three hummingbird feeders. I also throw out baby chick scratch for the Towees and other ground feeding birds. Feeding birds, and living next door to coyotes is why we never allow our cats outdoors. BTW, we just recently visited the High Desert Museum near Bend, Oregon, which has an active raptor rescue program (the eagles, owls, falcons and, yes, "buzzards" they have on display are all rescue birds with enough permanent damage to prohibit their being reintroduced to the wild. Exhibit birds like the falcon with only one eye, the golden eagle missing part of a wing, etc. You may be interested in Googling "turkey vulture" which is a different species from the vultures revered in many Asian countries--I mainly think of India's appreciation of the vultures' place in the ecosystem. Keep the pictures coming, we enjoy them.

Nonna.PapaVino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 5/20/2011, 8:57 pm

Awww....I think coyotes are beautiful, espeicially in winter when their coat is full. Funny how these have never bothered me. We have some on the back half of the property and they keep the rabbits and voles outta my garden, they may stay as long as they like. Smile When I lived in AZ I used to think I would like to snag a coyote pup and raise it...LOL. Of course the snagging proved difficult. 13 years and I never saw a "pup".

middlemamma

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/20/2011, 9:04 pm

MidMomma, I know this is off topic, but I've often noticed your quote from the Kris Kristoferson song: Bobby McGee, which Janis Joplin made famous, "Freedom is just....etc." Always liked that quote, too. We will be seeing a play next week entitled, "A Night with Janis Joplin." It's a new play, using some of the information contained in letters Janis wrote home while she was living in California. The Portland Center Stage snagged the play with the blessing of the Joplin family, and we understand the singer playing Janis has a similar, powerful, voice. I regret I never made it to one of her concerts in Austin back in the 60s, when she and other Texas "outlaws" were performing at Armadillo World Headquarters. Saw some of the others, but not Janis. How old does one have to be to enjoy nostalgia?

Nonna.PapaVino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cynergist on 5/21/2011, 11:33 pm

@BackyardBirdGardner wrote:

Oh, and all you guys with your Orioles are KILLING me. I'd almost give my right arm to have one in my yard.

I wouldn't worry too much about not seeing an oriole. You have soooo much more than what goes on in my yard. Your pics are stunning!

I was lucky to see a blue jay a few days ago. We used have loads of blue jays and cardinals, and now I almost never see them.

The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

View user profile http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 5/22/2011, 1:08 am

@Nonna.PapaVino wrote:MidMomma, I know this is off topic, but I've often noticed your quote from the Kris Kristoferson song: Bobby McGee, which Janis Joplin made famous, "Freedom is just....etc." Always liked that quote, too. We will be seeing a play next week entitled, "A Night with Janis Joplin." It's a new play, using some of the information contained in letters Janis wrote home while she was living in California. The Portland Center Stage snagged the play with the blessing of the Joplin family, and we understand the singer playing Janis has a similar, powerful, voice. I regret I never made it to one of her concerts in Austin back in the 60s, when she and other Texas "outlaws" were performing at Armadillo World Headquarters. Saw some of the others, but not Janis. How old does one have to be to enjoy nostalgia?

Smile I guess old enough to have a memory?

middlemamma

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/22/2011, 1:13 am

Love it, MidMomma! Guess I still have some memory. BTW, when you hear them singing, wave at your coyotes for me. From the high-pitched yapping heard the other morning, we have a new batch of coyote pups in the forest down below the house. Haven't looked for their den, but the sounds are like those heard last year. I love listening to them when the young song dogs first start to learn the howling protocols.

Nonna.PapaVino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:28 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum