Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:27 am

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by Ginger Blue Today at 9:13 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy Today at 8:59 am

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by Mimi2 Today at 8:30 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Mimi2 Today at 8:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Mimi2 Today at 8:23 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Today at 6:40 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Senseless Banter...
by Kelejan Yesterday at 11:16 pm

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 8:33 pm

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» compost thermometer
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 1:58 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 12:37 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 9:29 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 9:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 6:07 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma 9/25/2016, 4:04 pm

» mulching
by dstack 9/25/2016, 12:27 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's doin' in May?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What's doin' in May?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/21/2011, 10:59 pm

@MasonGarden wrote: I did notice though that one of my boxes has quite a few ants, but I'll look on the forum to see what to do about that.

IMO, they are nature's aerators. They don't eat living plants. Some actually farm aphids....therefore, shouldn't let them get to be a big problem on one plant since the ants are constantly moving the aphids. And, ants eat scraps of decomposing matter, like earthworms. When they die, as most of them do, they are automatic food for bacteria and other scavengers already in your garden. In other words, as long as they aren't chewing on your plants, I just can't see any reason for concerns.

@MasonGarden wrote:I did take a welcome break this afternoon to meet up at a local Panera with Glendale-Gardener and WolfHeart, a couple of other Cincinnati SFG'ers, for a transplant and seed exchange! I love the camaraderie and spirit of fellow SFG'ers! WolfHeart brought his family along too, and they were very patient with us as we rattled on and on about our plants, our mix, yadda, yadda!

A good days work! Everything in the SFG is looking good! I'm loving this!

I LOVE this and wish those of us STL could meet. I just don't have the time to organize it with a growing family at this point. Comradarie is right! The vast majority of SFGers are fabulous people.

Oh, and "you 'yadda yaddad' over the best part."

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 5/22/2011, 1:37 am

Finaly enjoying the first of my harvest in May the last cucs Sad , ichaban eggplant, tomatoes patty pan squash

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 on 5/22/2011, 8:10 am

so the "other half" gos to lowe's yesterday an brings home 2 sweet patato vines a basil and oreginal plant AND 8 brussel sprout transplants and i'm thinkin to myself WTH am i gonna put these???? shes like how bout we put them here ?? i'm like thats where the other 9 pepper plants are going and she's like oooook so where do you think we should put them ?????? and before my brain could tell my mouth not ta say it out poped "BEND OVER". for witch i got the "LOOK" the "FINGER" and a few words i can't type here w/o getting booted off the forum such is life i guess

boog

Last edited by middlemamma on 5/22/2011, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : improper use of language)

boog1

Male Posts : 260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v on 5/22/2011, 8:41 am

@boog1 wrote:so the "other half" gos to lowe's yesterday an brings home 2 sweet patato vines a basil and oreginal plant AND 8 brussel sprout transplants and i'm thinkin to myself WTF am i gonna put these???? shes like how bout we put them here ?? i'm like thats where the other 9 pepper plants are going and she's like oooook so where do you think we should put them ?????? and before my brain could tell my mouth not ta say it out poped "BEND OVER". for witch i got the "LOOK" the "FINGER" and a few words i can't type here w/o getting booted off the forum such is life i guess

boog

Its ok breathe in, breathe out, wax on, wax off Smile Plant the vines in a bucket, I have some purple majesty potatoes in a tote bucket from lowes (pink Im a girl). The basil will do well in a gallon pot, not sure what an oreginal plant is, brussel sprouts well Im not sure but Im sure someone will give you an idea, I myself would make a new bed for them Smile Some how some way Smile
Ha-v-v

Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 5/22/2011, 8:54 am

MasonGarden, if those ants do get out of hand and start biting you cinnamon wll do the trick, just sprinkle and leave.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden on 5/22/2011, 9:19 am

BBG and FarmerValerie - Thanks for the advice about the ants. I'll keep an eye on them and if they don't prove to be a problem, I'll let them be. They are in the box that I've used to plant my Sugar Babies watermelons and some marigolds, so we'll see.

BBG - Regarding getting local folks together, I can appreciate how busy you are, but if it helps any, it didn't take much effort at all! I just posted a message on our "Cincinnati Folks" thread letting them know that I had some extra packages of seeds (I had more than I could use from the Seeds of Change giveaway) and seed potatoes, and that if anyone was interested to just send me a PM. Several people responded so I just picked a central location and we met there for about 45 minutes (a couple of us enjoyed a late lunch while we met). I'd just pick a date & time that works for you, a central location if possible, invite folks and trade stories with whoever shows up!
smiles

MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/22/2011, 10:05 am

Thanks for the encouraging word. We'll see. You Cincy folks are really inspirational to watch. I am hoping to foster the same sense of togetherness here in STL in the future. I think you guys outnumber us, too.....Sad

Well, sweep or not, I think we still hold 1st place in the baseball season. Muwahahahahaha.

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden on 5/22/2011, 6:54 pm

Sorry, you can't bait me with that. I'm not much of a baseball fan. Not enough action for me compared to other sports! Laughing

MasonGarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/22/2011, 8:56 pm

@MasonGarden wrote:Sorry, you can't bait me with that. I'm not much of a baseball fan. Not enough action for me compared to other sports! Laughing

LOL. The other Ohioans will jump on that nugget. Plenty of you on the forum.

Here is a pic of my garden this week. The detailed update is on my blog in my sig. I don't want to refer away, but I don't want to retype all that stuff, either.

Happy Gardening!

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kjenkins82 on 5/22/2011, 9:24 pm

After all the rain last week, the sun is back and things are taking off:

This bed has a couple kinds of lettuce, beets, carrots, onions, arugula, eggplant, and broccoli rabe. I harvested enough this evening for a nice salad and a side dish of broccoli rabe.

Here are the greens after a whirl through the salad spinner. Clockwise from top left: spinach, arugula, beet greens, black seeded simpson, and romaine. It was delicious with the radishes and green onions.

Loving my SFG!

kjenkins82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden on 5/22/2011, 9:35 pm

Lookin' good (and tasty) BBG! I visited your blog. Everything is growing in well and I'm loving the cages for your boxes. Cute kid, too! Very Happy I don't have chipmunks, but we do have some pretty large rabbits. They haven't discovered my SFG yet, but I've noticed that the birds in my yard perch themselves on the edges of my boxes "keeping watch" - Sigh!

Kjenkins82 - Your harvest looks great as well! I can't wait until my boxes catch up.
hungry

MasonGarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/22/2011, 10:11 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it. We have rabbits all over the place here, but their numbers have really dropped over the past few years. I have yet to see one in my yard and we moved over here in September. Squirrels by the bushel. And, the one chipmunk.

In other parts of the same suburb (I've lived here since '86, and so did my grandparents and my wife and her parents), rabbits are still pretty common. I don't know what it is about our little pocket. But, I'm ok with it. They wreak havoc on a garden harder than any squirrel or chipmunk ever could.

Kjenkins, those radishes look like the size of apples to me. They are huge!

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kjenkins82 on 5/23/2011, 12:20 pm

Thanks Mason! I'm sure it won't be long. The anticipation makes everything taste a little sweeter. Smile

BBG- They were the last two radishes from round 1 and I'd been out of town for a week, so they were a little on the big side. Surprisingly not too hot though! They are Champions so 2 inch diameter is normal. Round 2 won't be ready for another week and half but I am ready for a radish break anyway. Smile

Glad your rabbit numbers have gone down. My yard was overrun with them just last year and this year I haven't seen a single one. I wonder how that is possible?

kjenkins82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/24/2011, 10:04 am

A couple more shots for you...

Look down in there and you will see a cauliflower head forming. Time to blanch that guy. I should harvest him next week....or sooner...

Head of broccoli. It actually is slowly increasing in size. I will have to grab it in the next couple of days, though. I don't want to risk the chance of him bolting on me after all this waiting...

And, the critter entrance. That danged chipmunk just waltzes in whenever he feels like digging. I love my peas, but I also can't wait to get them out of the garden a bit and cut that chipmunk off. If lucky, I'll trap his booty inside for awhile and teach him a lesson. Evil or Very Mad

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 5/24/2011, 1:44 pm

BBG says:And, the critter entrance. That danged chipmunk just waltzes in whenever he feels like digging. I love my peas, but I also can't wait to get them out of the garden a bit and cut that chipmunk off. If lucky, I'll trap his booty inside for awhile and teach him a lesson. Evil or Very Mad

I'm afraid if you trap him inside the bed, he will teach you how much damage one frightened and frustrated chipmunk can do,

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/24/2011, 2:23 pm

I thought of that right after I clicked "send." And, I agree. He'll tunnel out for sure. And, he will pick the square I am most interested to tunnel in. Murphy's Law.

Ooooh! That's what his new name is: Murphy.

Murphy the Chipmunk. Now, I have MY mascot. And, if you think about it, he's so much like me. Gets in there once in awhile, stirs the pot, ticks of the OP, and leaves without notice. The second you drop your guard, he's back. Nice and cute to look at, has a family and kids he's teaching to do the same to everyone else. He's funny when he works, but gets under your skin when you don't see it coming!

Perfect. I am seeing Murphy in a whole new light, suddenly.

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 5/24/2011, 6:54 pm

BBG funny post

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/26/2011, 2:17 pm

Went out just before lunch and grabbed my cauliflower and broccoli heads. Couldn't let them bolt on me after seeing that I actually got some to grow well. Don't want to tempt fate too much, ya know?

Next garden update will have the pics. I got two great carrots today (from 2/23 planting!), the broccoli head (about 3 inches) and the cauliflower (huge...about 6-8 inches).

Such a shame I don't like cauliflower. But, the wife does. Maybe she'll give me an extra slice of her pizza next time.

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 on 5/27/2011, 2:09 pm

went to tsc(tractor suppy com.) yesterday for a lady up the street to buy her a battery for her 90# boxers shock collor took the other half with me we came home with the batterys PLUS 2 packs of half doz. 6 foot bamboo poles no clue why we hada have them, these see pic she wanted 2 yellows and a red one so i gots ta plant them yesterday. i went to their website mus not been around that long will have ta see how they do this year.

boog

boog1

Male Posts : 260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/27/2011, 3:33 pm

Please let us know, boog. I saw this brand at our local ACE Hardware this year. I know nothing about them. I've been sprouting my own and/or using a local nursery for the past few years.

BackyardBirdGardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 5/27/2011, 3:37 pm

May has been like April; wet, wetter, and wettest! One foot of rain since April 1 here. But I have gotten a good radish harvest and still have a few left to continue to mature, the salad greens are doing well as is the Swiss chard. I do need to replant the kale though; not sure what happened to it. Kohlrabi, garlic and onions looking good. I hope to plant tomatoes, peppers and annual herbs this weekend.

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 5/31/2011, 8:10 am

Is everyone in SD, MN, NE, IA, KA okay after last night's severe storms?

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick on 5/31/2011, 5:14 pm

Yep. It just grazed us. I was up until 12:30 am watching the radar (figured I might as well as I wasn't going to sleep with the weather radio going off). Just a lot of 40 mph straight line winds here and about 1/2 inch of rain. On the plus side, my newly installed rain barrels are now both 2/3 full! I'll post pics in the June thread as soon as I get them loaded.

Smartchick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  unmadecastle on 5/31/2011, 6:44 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:Is everyone in SD, MN, NE, IA, KA okay after last night's severe storms?

I have to say that the storm in SD last night was crazy! The sky just kept getting darker and darker,then the wind blew in and it started to rain. I had covered my gardens shortly before the rain came. Then we had some pea size hail but that didn't last long. I was watching out the kitchen window when something hit our house. My first thought was a tree came down but when I looked out the living room window I saw it wasn't a tree. My kids trampoline had been picked up by the wind and slammed into the house. ( Just missed a window.) While I was still looking out the window the wind picked up the trampoline again. It was crazy, like a kite! It went up and over the trees to the east of us (thank god nobody lives that way). We found the trampoline a block away in the ditch. Didnt find all of the springs though.

On a happier note my gardens came through the storm just fine.

unmadecastle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 5/31/2011, 10:08 pm

@unmadecastle wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:Is everyone in SD, MN, NE, IA, KA okay after last night's severe storms?

I have to say that the storm in SD last night was crazy!

The wind has finally died down to a tolerable level here, but get ready for round 2 tomorrow!

My only casualty in the storm last night was a lost rosemary. I do mean literally lost - I didn't have my 2 newest herbs put in the ground yet, and this morning I found the little 3" pot of oregano laying out in the yard on a stepping stone, but I have no idea how far the rosemary was blown! I searched the whole yard and it was nowhere to be seen. At least I didn't have to dodge a flying trampoline affraid !

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:55 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum