Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by Yardslave Today at 8:01 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 4:32 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 3:55 pm

» Ayrshire Newbie
by robert1938 Today at 12:17 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by robert1938 Today at 12:02 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:53 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:53 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Yesterday at 5:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:34 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 10/16/2017, 8:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Upper South: May Day 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Upper South: May Day 2011

Post  pattipan on 5/2/2011, 1:44 am

"April showers bring May showers..."

No, that is not a typo! What a wet spring we've had! But despite all the rain I've managed to get a lot of things planted and they are up and growing. Some more sunshine would be a most welcome sight though!

I've been talking with a lot of the locals who have traditional row gardens and many have said that it way too wet and muddy to even think about tilling their gardens. I genuinely sympathize with them because I remember what that was like and I know that many families depend on that produce to help feed their families. Between my husband and I, I think we've convinced several to try SFG'ing so they could at least get some early crops planted.

All this rain has made me doubly thankful that we are square foot gardening! With everything above the ground in a nice loamy Mel's Mix it's possible to plant between rain showers. Once advantage is you do NOT have to worry about keeping those seeds moist! In fact, I was afraid some of them would wash away. After one really bad hail storm, I thought for sure my challenge carrots would be growing in the aisles, but they have sprouted. They're a little displaced in the squares, but they are there!

In between downpours I've gotten several lettuces planted, carrots, Swiss chard, radishes, arugula and broccoli. I'll plant more lettuces soon to keep that salad coming as long as possible! The grid squares make organizing successive plantings easy. I can honestly say too, that I think my salads are the most colorful around -- and yes I am bragging! tongue

Tonight we had a salad meal - spinach and red lettuces with some cut up rotisserie chicken. Now if I could just have some fresh cherry tomatoes and cucumbers with that! I should mention that the spinach, royal oak leaf and red romaine lived through the winter and took off again this spring, so we are getting some salad early this year! We've also been eating on the broccolini we planted last fall, but with only three plants, the pickin's are slim.

Garlic is getting HUGE. And the sugar snaps are vining up the trellis now. Strawberries are covered in bloom and I've even seen a couple of berries forming. I'll try to run out tomorrow between showers and take a photo. I have my tomato plants nearby hardening off, but we're prepared to bring them in if necessary because our last frost date is officially May 15. I have the flats sitting on pallets straddling a new 2 x 8 box across the fence. If it should get too cold we can cover both the tomato plants and the strawberries at once with a big piece of plastic straddling the fence.

Let's see. I think that's about it other than repotting a few herbs and planting some new ones. Oh yeah, and I've had to cut back the sage again. Wow, that herb grows fast!

So what's up in you SFG? Some of you I know have been getting more rain than we have here in WV, so have you been able to get some things in your SFG? Do tell!

Warmer days are ahead I am sure of it -- oh yeah!
sunny
Your regional hostess, pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum