Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by sanderson Today at 3:27 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 12:15 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 6:24 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

rage at my dog.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

rage at my dog.

Post  MomofOz on 5/3/2011, 10:46 am

the dog squeezed through the bottom of the gate to the garden and made easy work of many squares this morning. - I left him alone for 30 minutes so I could take my girls to school. He was sleeping upstairs and I didn't want to wake him to just put him in the crate. Well my niceness was a big mistake.
I never thought I'd get into gardening much less cry about it, but his has me so upset.
you can see pictures here: http://rubyslippersx3.blogspot.com/2011/05/depression.html

MomofOz

Female Posts : 9

View user profile http://rubyslippersx3.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: rage at my dog.

Post  dixie on 5/3/2011, 10:57 am

Oh, how terrible! At least he didn't ruin everything and it is early in the season, so you still have time to plant, except for your cool weather crops. I've experienced doggie/wolf damage, but nothing like that.

dixie

Female Posts : 754

View user profile http://www.zibbet.com/dixiedazzletoo

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom on 5/3/2011, 11:03 am

The nice thing about gardens are they are very forgiving and will heal. It's really heart breaking when you've worked so hard to get things going. It will get better~hugs~

stripesmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/3/2011, 11:09 am

I feel your pain. Yesterday I was unraveling two nylon trellis from last year. I had one all unwound so laid it across my computer chair back to go pick up grandson and 2 neighbor kids from the bus.

When I got home 15 mins later, Penny, my corgi, had someone got herself tangled up in it. What a job getting her free with as little damage to the trellis netting as possible. I ended up having to only cut 2 strands after several minutes of struggle. I never thought to take a picture. I was too upset.

The trellises are both up now and I just retied the damages. So all is well.

Your problem is much more severe. I would have sat down and cried.

I'm so sorry.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Square 1 on 5/3/2011, 1:13 pm

Last year I tried growing watermelons and canteloupes in containers with trellises. As the watermelons got going - about the size of a baseball, a couple of them came up missing. I thought it was a rabbit. I moved the container to a safer location. The canteloupes got to about the size of softballs and were fenced in. I went to check on them and noticed my dog was eating something. Yup, you guessed it - she had already eaten every canteloupe and was the culperate behind the missing watermelon. She even managed to eat a couple peppers. She was nice enough to pick them off the vines - no other damage. Needless to say, the melons are getting moved this year! My husband kept the dog away from me for a little while - probably a good thing. She an industrious old lady!

Square 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 on 5/3/2011, 1:41 pm

This is what I did to my SFG to keep my dogs out. This is from my last post:
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t6769-hello-from-louisiana

@NAR56 wrote:

SFG with Dog Protector

NAR56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 5/3/2011, 1:42 pm

Oh MomofOz, do I FEEL you? We have six (dogs that is - five of our own and one that we are "doggysitting" for my stepson who was transferred with his job) ranging from a very energetic 2 year old black lab (who yesterday chewed up my cell phone which I left on the dining table overnight - luckily I was due for an upgrade - I'm still not speaking to her), to a 13 year old low key corgi/heeler looking mix who LOVES to nose in the MM of my beds. We have two bichons (ages 11 and 12) who are too small to get into much, but the littlest one finds a way out of the fenced yard even if you are out there and turn your back.

I was thinking of the post above because several posters had good ideas for "doggie-proofing" your beds - various fences and frames - some put cayenne around the squares to keep doggie from nosing in them - getting nostrils full of cayenne is always a surprise. Smile Do a search and see what you find. I have raised my beds with bottoms up a bit using cinder blocks and that makes it harder (but not impossible) for them to do quite as much digging in them. Hang in there! BIG hug

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom on 5/3/2011, 4:48 pm

((HUGS))) I do feel your pain/frustration. So you really made up some new bad words? Can't you clue me in? I need some new ones. rofl

madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/3/2011, 8:51 pm

Ugh! How frustrating!

My black lab mix is a saint when I'm home. BUT I have caught her, when we drive out of the driveway, she gets up and watches out the window till we leave, and then jumps on my bed where she knows I won't let her go. She does this every single time we leave the house, because I feel the warm spot when I get home. One day my husband left and I was still in bed. I saw her jump up to the window, watch him drive away, and then she jumped on the bed, not knowing I was there. HA! I caught her red-handed.

Boy do they know how to get in trouble when we dare to leave them alone. They're not as dumb as they look. Smile

Oh well. Replant. What else can you do? Tie him up when you're not there. If it makes you feel any better, those of us up here in the frozen tundra haven't even past our frost date yet, so haven't planted the summer veggies yet. AND you can have staggered veggies, like Mel recommends. Smile

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 5/3/2011, 9:08 pm

OH NO! I'm SO sorry.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1869

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/3/2011, 10:11 pm

I still have my netting on my garden because of my....mutt. That crazy dog knows I love my garden and she's the jealous type. When I don't let her inside right away....the SFG gets it. If I respond within a couple of minutes, she patiently waits at the top of the deck. It's when I don't know if she's been barking long...and I can't see her that I get really nervous now....lol.

I really like the dog protector.

I have so many birdies I want to have access to my SFG that I need to get that netting off soon. But, I blew the budget on setting up new SFG boxes this year. Hmmm, what to do.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 5/3/2011, 11:11 pm

@MomofOz wrote:I never thought I'd get into gardening much less cry about it, but his has me so upset.

I'm so with you. I was just telling my hubby today that I never would've thought 3 months ago that I'd be looking foward to lining the rest of our empty beds around the house with pretty little boxes. I've only ever kept one plant alive in my life until now - the Mother's Day impatiens that my 7 year old gave me last year. The stakes were just higher this time...

Anyway, I can't imagine the heartbreak of what you came upon today. I almost cry when I see a bug in my bed. Wink Sorry for your loss.

Tracy

jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 5/15/2011, 2:10 am

I am sorry about your loss. It made me remember when my now gone dobie was just a pup and I built my first SFG. She was a very good dog and it was pretty easy to teach her to stay out of the garden beds. Her favorite toy was the tennis ball and yes as soon as the geen toms got to be tennis ball size she would neatly snip them off with her teeth and toss them around the yard. I think she thought that was where the tennis balls came from they grew on vines. Silly dog, I still miss her. Sad

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum