Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» last chance to pre-order baker seeds-rare seed catalog
by sanderson Today at 1:22 pm

» What's eating my plants
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:30 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by AtlantaMarie Today at 12:26 pm

» Straw Bales with Seeds?
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:26 pm

» Bountea Compost Tea - Got it!!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 12:25 pm

» Shallots, Prisma
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:59 am

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by llama momma Today at 5:35 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 12:39 am

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:16 pm

» Peas and cucumbers: Trellis position and plant spacing
by yolos Yesterday at 8:32 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» California's Drought
by Kelejan Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» Garlic
by recoush Yesterday at 5:15 pm

» Mason bees
by recoush Yesterday at 5:08 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» Hello from central Massachusetts!
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 10:52 am

» Indian Solar Gardening Calendar
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:50 am

» New England October, 2016
by Scorpio Rising 10/20/2016, 8:56 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by Scorpio Rising 10/20/2016, 8:38 pm

» Thin Crust Pizza
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 11:34 pm

» Our Newest Regional Hosts!
by Scorpio Rising 10/19/2016, 8:10 pm

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 10/19/2016, 2:15 pm

» November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 10:27 am

» Winter Hobbies and Crafts
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:48 pm

» Cucumber plant visitor
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:31 pm

» Hello all
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:16 pm

» The Most Annoying Pest In The Yard
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 6:45 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson 10/18/2016, 4:32 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/18/2016, 11:17 am

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG in India
by rajmahendra 10/18/2016, 7:50 am

Search SFG Forum

Howdy from Houston

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Howdy from Houston

Post  Menditha on 5/11/2011, 1:21 am

Hi my name is Mendi, and I'm already a SFG addict. What a Face I live in Spring just to the north of Houston. I've been lurking for a long time, just finally got around to introducing myself. I've been inspired by all of your ideas, installed a worm tube like Josh's, prayed and crossed my fingers for Acara and his wife and baby, and experienced SFG box lust over jazzymaddy's boxes.

Here are pictures of my current gardens. Many thanks to Boffer for the How To tutorials. I never would've tried posting without their help.

The first is a bookshelf that was going out with the trash until I retasked it. I drilled holes in the back (now the bottom) for drainage.

Guess it probably wasn't the greatest idea, since as you can see the paint is peeling and the top bowed out before I applied some corner braces from a big box store. Not before it screwed up my grid. Better luck next time. Guess I should have at least lined it with plastic or something. It has my green onions, 1015 onions, some cauliflower, and the last of my lettuce.

Obviously this one isn't a true SFG, but I would like to convert it sometime. It is 8' x 8' with a tree stump in the middle. It is reinforced by brick, because the timbers are old and rotting and I wasn't entirely sure how they were going to hold up for the season. My choice was plant here or miss out on planting for the spring season. The latter wasn't really an option in my book. Sorry about the exposed newspaper - I forgot I hadn't finished mulching in this picture. geek This bed has eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, bush limas, some herbs, milkweed for butterflies, cucumber, and watermelon.

I have most of the stuff for a new 8 x 4. You guys have renewed my determination to search out at least 5 different types of compost. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Female Posts : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Howdy from Houston

Post  middlemamma on 5/11/2011, 1:23 am

YAY! Glad to have you here!

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 5/11/2011, 2:19 am

I think the idea of repurposing a book case is a great one. It is too bad this one needed a little more support.

With all the effort you have put into beginning, I am sure you will get your 4X8 SFG up and running with Mel's Mix before too long.

Keep us posted.

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 5/11/2011, 7:55 am

I love your resourcefulness, I too have a book shelf I am eyeballing, but hubby wants it. I also love the stump in the middle of your other garden, it gives it character!!! We absolutely love pictures, thank you for sharing! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort on 5/11/2011, 9:45 am

Welcome Mendi! How are things in my old stomping grounds? I used to work in Humble, just down 1960 from you. Great idea with book case. Hmm.... I have been selling some books and may have an extra before too long...

Great pics and welcome!!

Male Posts : 520

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Menditha on 5/11/2011, 3:57 pm

Thanks so much everyone! This is such a neat group to become a part of.

Ashort, I travel 1960 to Humble often! We are all praying and doing rain dances, rather hot and dry at the moment. It gives me a very good excuse to visit my garden often. The weather forecasters say it’s been our driest spring on record. A friend from Humble got rain this morning though, and it has looked promising so here’s hoping. At least the plants are getting a little break from the hot sun.

I think I failed to mention that the pots sitting on the stump are container blueberries. I got them late in the season last year, so we’ll see how they are settling in. I’ll be excited if they do anything. Last summer they lost all their leaves, so I wasn’t sure if something was eating them or if they just do that when recovering from shipping stress.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HoosierPlanter on 5/11/2011, 5:03 pm

I love the idea of repurposing bookshelves! I have three or four from my early grad school days that are too craptacular even to give away. (Is craptacular OK to say? I heard it on The Simpsons.) It would be wonderful to use them instead of sending them to landfill.

What I wonder is how to protect my MM from what must be treated wood. Line them with heavy duty landscape fabric? Are there any food-safe lacquers available?

Giving credit where credit is due, of course, I may end up asking this in another forum thread. Thanks so much for the food for thought!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Menditha on 5/11/2011, 11:51 pm

Thanks for the new word HoosierPlanter! Craptacular. Personally I like it.

You posed a good question. After it was too late to do anything about it, I wished I had done something to protect my MM and veggies from the treated and/or painted wood. I wonder if using something like a pool liner would have worked? But I would have needed to poke holes in it for drainage, and would something like that leech unwanted chemicals into the MM as much as treated wood would? For future reference, anyone who knows please chime in and enlighten us.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 5/12/2011, 9:19 am

I made a couple of boxes from bookcase shelves last year. But they were the el cheapo kind (particle board?) and fell apart in under a year.

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum