Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Live and learn
by Mikesgardn Today at 4:22 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 2:42 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:08 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 2:04 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 2:01 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 1:56 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie to the Forum, but not to SFG

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbie to the Forum, but not to SFG

Post  HoosierPlanter on 5/11/2011, 3:45 pm

Hi, folks!

This is my third year doing SFG. I love fresh vegetables—can't get enough of them—but for years gardening struck me as drudgery, and an enormous time sink. On top of that, the neighborhood is situated on a slope and I live downhill from some serious lawnheads; I didn't like the idea of eating their chemical runoff. So about six years ago my husband and I started doing container gardening on the deck: tomatoes and herbs the first year, and the following year we also grew okra successfully enough that I was encouraged to branch out and try more things. I ordered a book on organic container vegetables, and Amazon also recommended All New Square Foot Gardening. I looked at the overview, was intrigued, and
ordered a copy. When it arrived, I read it in one sitting, and it appealed to my sense of logic and my desire not to spend a lot of time and energy tending a garden. I built one bed that summer, and two more the following year. This year I built a strawberry bed.

Now that the beds are built, I truly don't need to spend much time working in the garden, although I visit the beds each day to check up on all my plants. But, ironically enough, I find I enjoy spending time planning bed layouts and crop rotation, learning about composting and how to extend the growing season with seed starts and succession planting. I tweak my system each year based on what did and didn't work the previous year—every year is an experiment, after all. My lawnhead neighbors looked askance when I first started building my beds and trellises, and I feared being the hippie scourge of the neighborhood. But over the last couple of years, several of them have begun talking to me about my garden, and what I'm growing, and how it's doing. If the vertical crops really take off this year, I expect to surprise a few people!

I'm looking forward to talking and learning with all of you.

HoosierPlanter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie to the Forum, but not to SFG

Post  Old Hippie on 5/11/2011, 7:30 pm

Welcome from the forum's "hippie scourge"!! Old Hippie's my name and I wear it proudly both here and in my neighbourhood. LOL! I am in BC, Canada. We are just getting started on some of our planting here.

So glad you found SFG and this forum. SFG really does make a lot of sense. It is so much easier than row gardening. I am in total agreement with you on the drudgery and counter productiveness of row gardening. Digging up the entire garden bed, only to turn around and walk on all that nicely plowed soil, never made sense to me even as a kid. I remember asking my mom why we couldn't just dig the parts where we planted stuff but don't remember her answer. All I know is that we always had to dig the whole thing. And then hoe all the weeds in the pathways all summer too. Sheesh!

Make sure you hang around here enough to let us get to know you. Post comments and questions and photos too. And even the odd joke now and then. We are kind of like a family and like to kid around some. Hope you will feel at home.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/11/2011, 10:18 pm

And, we look forward to learning from you, too! Welcome aboard, Hoosier...lol...love the name.

My neighbors are also starting to stare in this direction. I have a neighbor across the street building an SFG as we speak. I have another two doors down asking me questions every time we get together. And, even my 80 year old neighbor bought tomato and pepper transplants for the first time in several years due to watching my SFG take off.

If folks just take the time to follow the system...by the book...it becomes a movement. People catch on and want to learn because you spend very little time in the garden "working." I literally come out in the morning and give it a spritz, maybe plant a few squares on a weekend, harvest on a weekend, and weed while I'm poking around harvesting or planting. The rest of the time I am within a mile of my SFG, I am only obsessing.

Hope to see you around and active. Any question is fair game, and if you have experience to offer, don't hesitate to jump in.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 5/12/2011, 4:17 am

HoosierPlanter

First of all, What is that amazing thing you used for your avatar? Such an interesting fruit.

It is great to have another member with a couple of year of SFG experience. We look forward to you sharing with us.

Hope your vertical gardens are a wonderful success this year. What plants do you intend to trellis?

Keep us posted on your progress.

Again, Welcome.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 5/16/2011, 4:32 am

HP, Happy you'er here. Proud to say I'm second generation "hippie scourge",and there is no hiding it even if I wanted to. My garden is in the front yard/drive way.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum