Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost
by SeanM Today at 4:20 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Today at 4:01 am

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP Today at 2:38 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Today at 1:04 am

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by landarch Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» New England September 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 11:23 pm

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by yolos Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:36 pm

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Hand Pollination ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:57 pm

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by llama momma Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 4:53 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:09 pm

» compost thermometer
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:37 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:00 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 9:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 6:07 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma 9/25/2016, 4:04 pm

» mulching
by dstack 9/25/2016, 12:27 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Cajun Cappy 9/25/2016, 11:45 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt 9/25/2016, 9:32 am

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by MrBooker 9/25/2016, 6:05 am

» NEW ENGLAND OCT 2016
by Scorpio Rising 9/24/2016, 10:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garden doing good

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Garden doing good

Post  CindiLou on 5/15/2011, 11:01 pm

Garden doing good! I have been picking radishes, lettuce, and arugula for a couple of weeks now. Not washed away yet! Will be planting tomatoes (might wait another week),squash, zucchini, beans, cucumbers, and more peppers this week. We finally got past the last frost date and weather supposed to warm up to the 70s by mid week.

broccoli-garlic-onions-bell pepper..spots for nasturtiums and calendula left

lg brussel sprouts-cauliflower, and my two nantes squares (poor things)..spots for nasturtiums, pole beans, cucumbers and calendula left

peas-arugula-radish-lettuce..spots for asian beans, bell peppers, nasturtiums and calendula left

salad lettuce...spots for asian beans and bush beans left

Spent a few minutes between rain showers to clean out the maple seeds lol...

My orchard...peach, red apple, yellow apple, nectarine, apricot, cherry, three cherry bushes. The trees are the dwarf variety. This is the second year for them, just planted the bushes last week. No fruit yet of course but looking good!

CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden doing good

Post  quiltbea on 5/16/2011, 9:29 am

Hey, its lookin' good.
You might be surprised on the dwarf apples. My Honey Crisp last year gave me 3 apples and it was only its 2nd yr here. The Granny Smith is still holding out, no apples. The apples were regular size and DELISH!

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4610

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 on 5/16/2011, 11:45 am

i gets ta pick pine needles out my table top every morning, got 6 of them over 25 foot tall, all of them less than 30 foot away from the garden i can live with the needles. sence the boxs are at the more optimum sun spot in the yard. sides it gives me an excuse ta go out an see whats poppin outta the soil. Razz

boog

boog1

Male Posts : 260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/16/2011, 2:58 pm

Cindi it is looking fabulous! I am thinking about putting in some dwarf fruit trees as well, but that is going to require cutting down some well established maples and I am not ready for that yet. When did you put the trees in ('09?) and when do you expect fruit? It's all looking fabulous! Is that a huge rhubarb patch I see? cyclops

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13979

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick on 5/16/2011, 4:19 pm

You might be surprised on the dwarf apples. My Honey Crisp last year gave me 3 apples and it was only its 2nd yr here. The Granny Smith is still holding out, no apples. The apples were regular size and DELISH!

Oh, Quiltbea, I hope you are right. We planted two dwarf apples (one winecrisp and one golden delicious) and a dwarf sweet cherry this year. If I get even one apple next year I'll do a happy dance!

Good lookin' garden, Cyndilou!

Smartchick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/16/2011, 4:59 pm

Looks great! Gotta love those helicopters...I am still "weeding" the sprouts.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/16/2011, 5:31 pm

I put some of my dwarf trees in spring 09 (Granny Smith, Fuji and Honey Crisp apples and Almaden Duke cherry)and a Fuji replacement had to go in last year because a deer ate it down to nothing. A New Haven Peach went in this spring.

Mine are along our long driveway. The one furthest away is a crab apple that's been here for years but its a good pollinator for other apple trees. After the deer damage done in 2009, I now hang anti-perspirant soaps (Irish Spring) in mesh bags around my trees to keep away the deer. It works for me.

The cherry has a lot of blossoms this year so I think its recovered from its brush with deer demise and maybe I'll see cherries this year. I planted it 2009.

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 5/16/2011, 10:36 pm

@camprn wrote:Cindi it is looking fabulous! I am thinking about putting in some dwarf fruit trees as well, but that is going to require cutting down some well established maples and I am not ready for that yet. When did you put the trees in ('09?) and when do you expect fruit? It's all looking fabulous! Is that a huge rhubarb patch I see? cyclops

Rofl..yes the rhubarb patch is the envy of a lot of people. I do share when someone asks. No way I could use it all. I am going to try canning some this year. I had two other small plots in different spots in my yard, but after 15 yrs I FINALLY dug them up and gave them to others.

And that patch makes awesome (and potent according to hubby) wine. I can't drink it because I am allergic but I have used it in cooking Very Happy

I put the trees in in April? of last year. I hope I get an apple! I would be just tickled to say I grew my own fruit lol...

But I am patient. I know trees take time. I may not get peachs very often. I guess Iowa is known for frosts that kill the blossom buds. Thats ok. I will keep it anyway because WHEN I do get some it will be worth it!

CindiLou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom on 5/17/2011, 8:25 am

CindyLou, I'm envious of your garden. It looks great!

I did put my tomatoes and peppers in last week. So, they suffered from the cold and the rain. I had them covered all the time when it rained and then just uncovered them yesterday. They seem ok and no blossom drop so far. Then covered last night and was glad I did. Even though it was in the mid 40's, there was frost on top of the cars this morning. Will have to cover again tonight and after that, it looks like the weather will warm up. I'm always too eager to get things in the ground-I guess I should say box now, lol.

stripesmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 5/17/2011, 10:49 am

Your garden is doing wonderfully well! Keep up the good work.

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1860

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 5/17/2011, 12:13 pm

@stripesmom wrote:CindyLou, I'm envious of your garden. It looks great!

I did put my tomatoes and peppers in last week. So, they suffered from the cold and the rain. I had them covered all the time when it rained and then just uncovered them yesterday. They seem ok and no blossom drop so far. Then covered last night and was glad I did. Even though it was in the mid 40's, there was frost on top of the cars this morning. Will have to cover again tonight and after that, it looks like the weather will warm up. I'm always too eager to get things in the ground-I guess I should say box now, lol.

I am going to put in my tomatoes and peppers and seeds today or tomorrow. Would be moving right now but put my back out last week and had to baby it...then yesterday forgot and twisted it again....Goddess bless Darvocet!

Unfortunately when this bottle is done they will have to find something else that will help without making me groggy! Darvocet is not going to be prescribed anymore...grrrrrr....I have the prescription due to M.S. pain. I hate most pain pills because to even help the pain they make me sluggish.

CindiLou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom on 5/17/2011, 5:45 pm

I hope your back is doing better soon. I use to take oxycontin for about a year. I finally had to quit it, even though the pain is still there. I was just too groggy all the time. Drs don't want to prescribe pain meds no matter how much pain your in it seems. On the other hand, I've found that pain meds don't really help like they should.

It's just as well that your tomatoes aren't in, it's still a bit cold for them. Mine are doing ok, but not jumping. The only one that is really doing great is the cherry tomato, it's about double the size of the other ones.

stripesmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 5/19/2011, 12:56 am

I got a lot of planting done and it is not all done yet!

Alex and PaPa....great way to kill the grass before planting...storing some supplies in the box till ready

NaNa, get out of the way!

My zucchini and butternut buckets and trellis

Ben made me two of these cages for my tomatoes. I had borrowed one last year to see if I would like them
I planted two purple cherokees in one and a beefsteak in another. I have a bush Early Girl in a blue barrel by the house

I planted this for my daughter's apt., tomato, basil, oregano, rosemary

My dad makes these and I got one dumped at my house a couple of weeks ago! I planted tomato, basil, oregano, rosemary, and sweet potato vine in it.

This bed now has blueberries and asparagus in it. I figure if the blueberries don't make it the asparagus will!

Pretty calla lillies

Butterfly Bush

I also got my peppers up potted till my box is finished. I don't know what I have forgotten
but that is enough to make me exhaused!

All this while babysitting grandkids, weedeating, and then topped it off with
some time with hubby with a fire in the firepit.

Then down to earth with having to do homework rofl....

CindiLou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/19/2011, 11:05 am

CindiLou....
Everything is looking great. You did a terrific job.

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 5/23/2011, 10:55 pm

Today my back is better so I CAREFULLY played in the yard.

Salad Bed I
I took out the lettuce that was not doing much…it is getting late for it to try. I planted sweet peas there.I will plant more of them when the peas are done.
In the spot where my first planting of radishes were, I planted Swiss Chard. The arugula was an experiment that I liked (thank you, pattipan, it is great on ham sandwich instead of mustard!) so I will try the chard this year. It is supposed to do well in hot weather also.

Salad Bed II
I planted Asian beans in the two empty squares in back by the panel.
Nasturtiums are planted in the corner, bush beans in two of the spots in the front row.Still have to plant the marigolds.
[/ur
I love the cattle panel trellis! I bet the beans and sweet peas growing up it will make a great hiding place for the grandkids this summer!

Bed I
Bush beans in where I took out the bell peppers that got frost bit..
Nasturtiums in the front right corner. Still need the marigolds lol..

Bed II
Cucumbers and pole beans in the back row waiting for Ben to put up a trellis.
He still has a couple of weeks till I can fuss…ok maybe three, depends on how fast they grow!
Nasturtiums in the front corner with marigolds still waiting!

I planted three giant sunflowers in the back of the blueberry/asparagus bed.
If they grow it will look cool! You can't see them but the blueberries are still alive!

Zucchini and butternut growing fast! I can’t wait to see if they grow up the panel!

The tomato sauce basket is doing great!

CindiLou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 5/23/2011, 11:20 pm

Looks amazing! You may have just inspired me to plant callas...

Maybe you mentioned this and I missed it, but what are those white rings around some of your plants? And are you growing something in the holes of the bricks, or are they serving some other purpose?

jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 5/24/2011, 12:06 am

Jazzymaddy, they are there for cutworm prevention. The idea was snagged from Acara's beds! Some use paper tubes and different things. I liked the idea of reusable. I will bundle them on a rope this fall and keep them hung on a shed rafter till next year.

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t6563-cut-worm-protection

Forgot to take a picture but there is a little bitty head forming on a broccoli!

Last edited by CindiLou on 5/24/2011, 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : put in link)

CindiLou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:59 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum