Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:35 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:09 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Weed Mat: Is is Necessary?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weed Mat: Is is Necessary?

Post  Beth.2 on 3/25/2010, 8:32 am

Hello Everyone!! I'm new the grand world of Square Foot Gardening, and have a question. Is the weed mat underneath the SFG box really necessary? Is its only use to keep out weeds? Because it appears that it would really be useless as weeds wouldn't survive under 6 inches of dirt, correct? Also, is 6 inches of soil enough for the plants roots to survive in, even if the soil is perfect? Because I've read that roots need up to 3 feet of cultivated soil to reach peak growth. What are your thoughts and discoveries?

Beth.2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weed Mat: Is is Necessary?

Post  boog on 3/25/2010, 9:21 am

a weed barrier is a definate thing, yes weeds will grow and thrive even under that amount of soil. plants are know survivers if the roots can't go down they go sideways to find water/food to survive. case in point b/h hada rose of sharon bush in front of the house last spring i dig it up the root "ball" was only 6 inchs deep cause who ever planted it did so on top of a chunk of old concrete 14 inch wide need less ta say the roots grew down, out and around it. hope this helps

boog/mike

boog

Male Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell on 3/25/2010, 3:12 pm

@Beth.2 wrote:Is the weed mat underneath the SFG box really necessary? Is its only use to keep out weeds? Because it appears that it would really be useless as weeds wouldn't survive under 6 inches of dirt, correct? Also, is 6 inches of soil enough for the plants roots to survive in, even if the soil is perfect? Because I've read that roots need up to 3 feet of cultivated soil to reach peak growth. What are your thoughts and discoveries?
Hi Beth,
Welcome to SFG. To answer your questions...
Yes, the weed barrier is necessary. Weeds and grass are amazingly resilient and don't go away without a fight. For this reason some SFG'ers even dig up the grass before putting in their raised beds. My raised beds are 1' deep and were originally filled with soil (good 'ol dirt), with a weed barrier AND many layers of newspaper underneath. I STILL had bermuda grass making it's way to the top. ARGH!

Yes, 6 inches of soil are enough - especially if the soil is perfect. Mel Bartholomew spent over 15 years perfecting his methods. He's done all the experimenting, trial, error, success and failure so we don't have to. You're life (and your garden) will be so much easier and more successful if you take the plunge and follow the system described in Mel's book "ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING." I know it seems counterintuitive in many ways but it does work.

Yes, you will read and hear that gardens need a foot or more of well cultivated soil. That would be true if you were doing a traditional "in-ground" row-type garden. But that's not SFG. (Thank Goodness!). You're not growing in soil. Soil is dirt. SFG doesn't use dirt. SFG uses a customized "growing medium" (called planting mix or potting mix in the stores - as opposed to potting soil which contains dirt). This growing medium (Mel's Mix of 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, & 1/3 blended compost) provides your plant roots with all the nutrients and moisture they need to reach peak growth as sooooo many here on the Forum will happily attest.

Best of luck with your garden. Keep us updated on your progress and please post some photos once it's up and going.

timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

View user profile http://www.timwardell.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 3/25/2010, 8:57 pm

Some kind of weed barrier is needed, but not necessarily the commercial kind. I used 4 layers of cardboard -- it's what I've used for the lasagna layered beds and works as as far as I'm concerned, works as well as commercial weed barrier. NOTHING will keep out Bermuda grass or yucca -- absolutely nothing. Well, except maybe a 6" deep concrete slab.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:47 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum