Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Live and learn
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:01 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by bigdogrock Today at 5:55 pm

» New England, December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:52 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 2:42 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:08 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 2:04 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 2:01 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are you seeing bees?

Page 22 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Are you seeing bees?

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/22/2014, 11:09 am

Yes, I've been seeing and hearing bees lately, now that my borage, purple basil, and salvia are in full swing.  

The salvia and basil are planted right next to some of my squash, and the bees get riled up whenever I try to check the appearance of Molly's Mystery Squash.  I may have discovered the trick to good squash pollination.

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1921

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/21/2014, 6:57 pm

Found an interesting online article about bees and another reason why they might be disappearing:

http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/natural-remedies/honey-as-medicine-zm0z14ndzhou.aspx?PageId=1#axzz3Gp5h6qMN

Beekeepers:  Your thoughts?

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3767

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Bees

Post  RJPugh on 10/23/2014, 9:02 am

This year I saw a small, but consistent population of bees.  Both honey and carpenter varieties.  My SFG never attracted any, mostly because I wasn't growing things that they favor.  But the wildflowers on my property frequently had the little striped visitors.

Their numbers seemed to be up from previous years, which I found encouraging.

RJPugh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/23/2014, 4:13 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Found an interesting online article about bees and another reason why they might be disappearing:

http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/natural-remedies/honey-as-medicine-zm0z14ndzhou.aspx?PageId=1#axzz3Gp5h6qMN

Beekeepers:  Your thoughts?

It's a bit of a romanticised blurb and not really accurate for many reasons .

Bees will take what ever honey pollen & nectar they can get ,when it's there .
The MONO agriculture practices used in the USA are causing big problems  because it tends to end up that there are long periods when very few plants are in flower , consequently thousands of hives starve or succumb to sickness.

Once the nest/hive knows that there is a nectar flow on they virtually abandon all other nectar sources and go for the one that is nearest and/or most prolific as nature has imprinted in them the need to get the most of the best with the least effort .

If bees find a weak or badly defended nest they will rob it of all honey  , killing many of the home team and like as not bringing disease and sickness  back into their own nest from the one they are robbing out.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm on 10/23/2014, 4:16 pm

Nature, red in tooth and stinger...

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked

My garden progress:
MyFolia.com - Garden Tracking Community Find more about Weather in Las Vegas, NV

brainchasm

Male Posts : 463

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 10/25/2014, 11:12 am

YES, on the Clara Curtis and Sheffield chrysanthemums

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 10/25/2014, 11:31 am

I have those chrysanthemums, love 'em.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/26/2014, 11:41 am

Thanks, Plantoid!

CC - are those a really light pink?

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 10/26/2014, 1:02 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Thanks, Plantoid!

CC - are those a really light pink?
Yes, the Clara Curtis is light pink with white around the center, which for some reason isn't showing up in the photo above. The Sheffields are light peach...

The bees love them! They grow like weeds, and transplant easily. This Sheffield hedge was started with one little plant 2 yrs ago, and was trampled on horribly when I was building my asparagus bed behind it this spring. But they bounced right back.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/26/2014, 4:14 pm

Slightly amusing , yet sad & off topic thing (  I'll just have to go for forgiveness on this one ).

In the early part of our courting / living together in a small block of apartments days 30 odd years ago I often brought home a box of choc's and some flowers for Alison .  I knew she had a fondness for the " Mum's" so often took the trouble to find out places that grew and sold them as cut flowers .

I too like the spicy scents of the home grown ones , however one day I started sneezing & sneezing like a demented idiot . Come the 19 th sneeze I was on my knees unable to see for tears and gasping for breath .
 I almost crawled out of the lounge and into the fresh air out on the balcony .
 Then as soon as I got back inside again the sneezing & runny eyes kicked off again. Come the eight or ninth time of this happening things quietened down for me.  I went to bed early feeling absolutely lousy , with a headache that truly deserved to accompany a very heavy session on the ale .

I thought nothing more of it till the next week with " Mum's"  in my hand and a bottle of St Pante Lemoine ( SP?)  sweet Cypriot white wine , it kicked off again about half an hour after the flowers were placed in the vase and put on the dining table.

Not linking it to the flowers ,this continued for a couple of months. Then one day our cat received a broken leg & other injuries after being hit by a car as he crossed the road to come home and a result spent three days at the vets.

Al was distraught so to cheer her up she got an extra big bunch of ragged Mums with some peacock eye sort of coloured ones.
 The mums were given along with choc's and there was no reaction to the flowers.

That really puzzled me till a few months later when Alison received yet more MUM's & wine from me & had put the flowers in a vase on the dining table .  Half an hour or so after the flowers were put on the dining table , I spied out of the corner of my eye as I was sat doing my home work for my electronics engineering exams ,  "  OSCAR " our cat jumping up onto the dining table , backing up to the flowers in the vase and peeing all over them with the accuracy of a sniper ,  within seconds I was reduced to the sneezing jelly once again.

For the next 12 years till he died we never had Mum's in the house or garden , even now I some times see a tear of sadness in Al's eye's when I give her any flowers with Mum's in the bunch . For Oscar was a rather special tom cat that we'd trained to  perform quite a few tricks if he knew he would be rewarded.

Perhaps one day in the future , we will actually go & grow some in the front raised beds.  But I don't think we'll ever have another cat due to the emotional attachment we /Alison  had for Oscar.  She sobbed for a couple of days after me finding him curled up & stiff as a board by the dust bin one day .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/27/2014, 9:15 am

Sigh....  Fur-kids....  I miss mine horribly!  So does DH.  When the first one passed, I cried every day at some point for over a year.  Wasn't much better w/ the others.  So we've decided that we're done being parents.  So I feel your pain, Plantoid.

CC, I really like those Clara's.  I'll have to see if I can find some seeds...  That may be one my neighbor has blooming right now....

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 10/27/2014, 12:17 pm

Just a gentle reminder and a thank you; This thread is about seeing bees and other pollinators and the environment... Thanks for keeping it on track.  Very Happy

For otherdiscussion see the Senseless Banter thread.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 on 2/23/2015, 4:01 pm

Down here in Southern Louisiana it has been a warmer Winter than last year. Some of our Broccoli heads stayed small and went straight to flower. I always let a few go to flower after I harvest the main head for the Bees, hoping they will come back in the Spring. Yesterday I was "mowing" the back yard due to all the clover, all the grass is dead. As I passed by the Broccoli bed, I noticed about 20 Bees enjoying the Broccoli flowers. 

Ryan

NAR56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 2/24/2015, 1:13 pm

Our Japenese plum trees have been literally buzzing now that there are small plums they seem to have moved to feed on our ceders, noticed this morning citrus buds on the trees so they will be there soon.  I leave a patch of clovers for the bees and the dogs to frolic in.  I am down da river from you and have cut our grass twice already.

Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 521

View user profile http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 2/25/2015, 1:54 am

@camprn wrote:Just a gentle reminder and a thank you; This thread is about seeing bees and other pollinators and the environment... Thanks for keeping it on track.  Very Happy

For otherdiscussion see the Senseless Banter thread.
We do tend to wander off topic don't we?  I think I only notice it when I start a thread and suddenly everyone is talking about something else.
I appreciate your gentle reminders, camprn.
Oops! this is OFF TOPIC.  Sorry! Embarassed

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4488

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 2/25/2015, 1:59 am

I noticed today that my "lawn" has lots of flowers in it, violets, clover, etc. I keep the mower blades high all the time so I am hoping there will be flowers for the bees. 
In addition, I will let some of my veggies go to flowers and seeds as well.

For the last two years I have let the grass lay and last year I had a lovely green lawn, unlike my neighbours whose lawns stay green because they water them yet they still go brown in the heat. I think of all the dead soil under their "green" lawns and I know that the creatures under mine are happy.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4488

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 2/25/2015, 2:43 am

Thanks to this Forum, I'm more considerate of the pollinators and try to leave bolting veggies and embarrassing flowers alone until the last moment.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12255

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 4/28/2015, 4:55 pm

I'm not good at close ups but here are 2 bees and some wanna-Bees on the early bolting/flowering Coriander cilantro.  It's a winner.  They are fighting over it! I'm going to try to seed some more.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave on 4/28/2015, 7:23 pm

I haven't seen a honey bee this spring until this morning. It was feasting on my patch of golden poppies. Usually the pepper trees, wax leaf privet hedges, and potatoe vines are humming with millions of bees, but not this year. I've only seen bumble bees working the few flowers and fruit trees that blossomed before a frost zapped them. I'm beginning to think the area vineyard's may be responsible. I'm hopeful that the bees are just slow in getting to work, but I'm surprised that they haven't kept up with our spring flowers- they bloomed 2 months too soon!

Yardslave

Male Posts : 260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 4/28/2015, 8:25 pm

I can see your bees Sanderson, happy little things!

Yardslave, that bee will probably let the others know and you will get plenty soon!

I have been seeing lots of bees this year. It is nice to know of their importance and instead of worrying about being stung, I just give them their space and am grateful for them visiting my yard and garden.

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate on 4/28/2015, 9:56 pm

I haven't seen many here for several years, until last year, when I had marigolds growing in my backyard planters.  Then I saw more than I had seen in several years combined.

CitizenKate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 4/28/2015, 11:33 pm

For those of us in bee-barren areas, it is such a joy to see a bee on something we planted. One flower, one bee at a time. Very Happy

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 4/30/2015, 10:33 am

Yeah!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 6/9/2015, 1:47 pm

The bees are loving the chives that are in bloom.  I don't think I have seen this many and such a variety for quite a while.  Hope they stick around for when the bee balm blooms about the time the plants are in bloom and need pollinators. 

Some of the bees are very small, some are honey bees and there are quite a few bumblebees.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 6/9/2015, 1:49 pm

@sanderson wrote:For those of us in bee-barren areas, it is such a joy to see a bee on something we planted. One flower, one bee at a time. Very Happy

Yeah, I get a kick out of it. Like I'm being a successful foster daddy to the bees.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:25 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum