Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/7/2016, 9:41 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan 12/7/2016, 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The latest report from the CDC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The latest report from the CDC

Post  FarmerValerie on 5/23/2011, 8:48 am

Keep in mind I am posting this in the off topic-out of the box-everything else spot. I heard about this the other day, and thought about sharing, but did not have time, and was a tad bit afraid of political comments getting out of hand. After going through my email this morning, I could not resist. Let's not get political, let's read and enjoy this with tongue in cheek humor.

The CDC, your online source for credible health information (that's what their site says) released a report the other day on their blog. It is an emergency preparedness post, for a zombie appocolypse. Now I have not read the whole thing, but what I have read IMO is tongue in cheek, using a zombie invasion as an "example".
Article: http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp
While it may be a good thing to get some motivated who otherwise would not be so motivated, I have to wonder if maybe it's not like what those of us who taught young children would do to "motivate" them.

Okay, so what made me want to share this today?
http://www.thereadystore.com/emergency-preparedness-basics/1903/zombie-apocalypsehas-government-agency/

Please check out the Grab and Go Kit, this one has a video too, and read the comments!!!
&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ep101&utm_content=vid&video=1]http://www.thereadystore.com/ultimate-zombie-apocalypse-72-hour-survival-kit-1-person?utm_source=rne_ep101_20110523--[referralsource]&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ep101&utm_content=vid&video=1

Let's have fun with this! I do believe in being prepared, and am currently taking measures to stock up and be more self sufficient, however I do have a sense of humor, and have had more than a good laugh about this one. Maybe if you have a "brother-in-law" who just does not believe the worst could happen, and won't prepare for an emergency to make sure your sister and her family are taken care of, you could show him this and "motivate" him to be ready.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The latest report from the CDC

Post  acara on 5/23/2011, 9:27 am

Bring it baby !!!!

I haz my zombie-preparedness kit ready !!!!

acara

Male Posts : 1012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 5/23/2011, 9:29 am

lol!
I was roflmao before I read your post, all I needed to see was that you responded to this, I will pass this along to my son when he returns from training with the AR Army National Guard in CA. He may just be called up to protect us from the impending Zombie Appocolypse and need one of these.

FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual on 5/23/2011, 9:38 am

Now I'm prepared for the inevitable hurricane/flood AND reanimated corpses. I wonder how many people are going to freak out and believe that there are zombies walking about right now?

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 5/23/2011, 9:46 am

Unmutual, how's the water level down there in NO? I head today they finally evacuated the rest of Angola, they had left 2500 or so to fill sandbags, and that they were moved out this weekend as most of it was now underwater.

FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual on 5/23/2011, 10:17 am

@FarmerValerie wrote:Unmutual, how's the water level down there in NO? I head today they finally evacuated the rest of Angola, they had left 2500 or so to fill sandbags, and that they were moved out this weekend as most of it was now underwater.

17ft give or take a 10th(It crests in my area today I think). It was expected to get to 19.5ft, but they opened the morganza spillway(last time it was opened was in the 70's) which is flooding out about 30,000 cajuns from their homes/farms/fishing camps(my heart goes out to them). We're protected to 20ft, but apparently the government chose not to risk it in case of levee failure. I guess the only good news is that the water moving out through cajun country is only expected to be about half as high as originally thought(10-15ft instead of 20-25ft) and that people are ready to move in to see how much new land was created by the river silt(I think it's for data in regards to coastal restoration projects). The proverbial silver lining I guess.

And how did I forget to ask this question:

Hey Acara, is that attachment government issue? tongue I think I'd have a hard time deciding between an M203 grenade launcher and a chainsaw.

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  acara on 5/23/2011, 10:31 am

@Unmutual wrote:And how did I forget to ask this question:

Hey Acara, is that attachment government issue? tongue I think I'd have a hard time deciding between an M203 grenade launcher and a chainsaw.

Why decide, when you can have both ???

Rocket-Propelled-Chainsaw;

acara

Male Posts : 1012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual on 5/23/2011, 10:45 am

@acara wrote:
@Unmutual wrote:And how did I forget to ask this question:

Why decide, when you can have both ???

I won't feel totally secure until I get one of those now. Keeping up with the Jones-es has never been so much fun. I wonder if emergency preparedness items are tax deductible...

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 5/23/2011, 11:37 am

Even more handy than a Swiss Army Knife!!!

I saw on the news the other day where they were interviewing the locals in LA, most of them were upbeat, they said they knew the risks when moving there. One guy, a crawfisherman (is that even a word???) said he was expecting a good haul this year and the next 4-5 years. Crawfish were scarce last year and this year, too dry, next few years should be like after the flood in the 70's, he had 5 good years. Reminded me of how Bubba Gump Shrimp came to be. I'm keeping my eye on that news, we love some crawfish here!!! Shrimp right now is still a good price when they bring it up to Shreveport (an hour away), I'm hoping crawfish will be too. Those cajuns are a hardy stock, I'd love to spend a summer with some and learn a few things, course I may not be able to repeat some of what I learn, but boy talk about survival skills. We have a few in the family, they are a hoot. Oh, boy all this cajun talk and now I am wanting some gumbo and ready to have a crawfish boil.

Farming/Fishing in a flood plain may be the best land/water to do it in, but boy the risks are high, but then so is that type of life anywhere. Here's hoping we find the silver lining soon, and the MS & LA economy snaps back real quick like, oh and that there is no Zombie Apocolypse attack from this.

FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum