Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:46 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fire Ants in SFG

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fire Ants in SFG

Post  westie42 on 6/5/2011, 7:55 pm

In my more reckless past I would have two of everything out there just in case it was needed. I would certainly study the terro carefully considering your intended destination of strict organics. The above Aspertame/Equal post looks pretty good for a first effort. Since you are not in normal fire ant territory lots of what mite work well unfortunately just would not sell well enough to be in stock locally. Have you tried other garden forums like Daves or GardenWeb. If they are fire ants and not yet built the castle mound then just enough deterrence to make them choose to move on to an easier existence mite be all you ever need.

westie42

Male Posts : 512

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Homekeeper on 6/5/2011, 8:03 pm

@westie42 wrote:In my more reckless past I would have two of everything out there just in case it was needed. I would certainly study the terro carefully considering your intended destination of strict organics. The above Aspertame/Equal post looks pretty good for a first effort. Since you are not in normal fire ant territory lots of what mite work well unfortunately just would not sell well enough to be in stock locally. Have you tried other garden forums like Daves or GardenWeb. If they are fire ants and not yet built the castle mound then just enough deterrence to make them choose to move on to an easier existence mite be all you ever need.

We went out to spread the terro by the fence (a few feet away from our garden) and there was a mound and hundreds of fire ants all over the yard and guess where they are coming from? The neighbors yard! There are definitely more in their yard than my garden beds but they are marching into our yard and then our beds. So I guess now my goal is to keep them OUT of our yard......does this change things now?

Well we did the terro along the fence line and then on top of the small mound in the neighbor's yard, which is actually right under the fence-line. We are going to grab some of the Terro baits tonight and put them around the fence-line as well.

To add......the neighbor's haven't mowed in weeks - their grass is almost knee-high but you can still see its full of these red ants. Not sure if that has anything to do with them coming to my garden?

Homekeeper

Female Posts : 70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 on 6/5/2011, 8:07 pm

I had a similar experience with termites when a neighbor had to have his house tented, fumigated and the ground around it pumped full of poisons. About two months later the Orkin man and with a big smile offered a free no obligation termite inspection. He knew what he was doing they usually just move to the house next door and so there was a mud trail half way up my basement wall. I appreciated his effort but decided the price was out of my reach just to move them again the next house on down the street. I nuked them seriously and they went away somewhere else never to return. Like with my termites you have an excellent chance to just encourage them to move on.

westie42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 on 6/5/2011, 8:13 pm

Wonder if since they are new to your area you could get the county to investigate and possibly help or put pressure on the neighbors to remedy their problem. The county mite get real concerned about helping to prevent an invasion.

westie42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Homekeeper on 6/5/2011, 8:23 pm

@westie42 wrote:Wonder if since they are new to your area you could get the county to investigate and possibly help or put pressure on the neighbors to remedy their problem. The county mite get real concerned about helping to prevent an invasion.

I plan to call the extension office tomorrow and tell them and see what they say, hopefully they will do something about it. Everywhere my husband and I looked, we saw them all over the grass in the neighbor's yard just making their way into ours. There are probably thousands, I had never seen them like this before. Some are all red, some are red in the middle with dark ends and others are dark on one end and red in the middle and other end. All are variations of fire ants from the pictures I've seen online, but I'm no expert.

Homekeeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 on 6/5/2011, 8:33 pm

Good plan you mite call upon the SFG Sage of Washington Boffer to help get the best assault going. Good luck, when I lived in Texas I stepped or sat in enough of those raskulls.

westie42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dmsandlin on 6/6/2011, 11:28 am

There's an easy way to tell if they're fire ants: stir the mound and stick your foot in. If it feels like Satan himself is chewing on you, then you have fire ants. Not that I have purposefully tried this method of identification but I know from accidental experience that it does work. Evil or Very Mad

It also sounds like you need to put on your ninja suit and make a few midnight forays into your neighbor's yard and use extreme prejudice against the mounds there.

Try Amdro.

Good luck!!

dmsandlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Homekeeper on 6/6/2011, 12:02 pm

@dmsandlin wrote:Try Amdro.

I was going to get Amdro at Wal-mart and the guy next to me told me Terro is the way to go and it works, so I got Terro. What is the difference with the Amdro? I'm willing to keep trying things - I guess they are asleep this morning because I didn't see one in my gardens but I did see one in the neighbor's yard. We plan on using some Terro baits too - they have a high success rate from all the reviews I've read.

Homekeeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dmsandlin on 6/6/2011, 12:10 pm

Amdro's what I hear of and see most down here. But if someone up there recommended Terro because it works, then listen to the local expert.

On the bright side, maybe they'll keep the slug population down a bit. I bet one banana slug can make a big dent in the garden faster than you can say Snoqualmie.

dmsandlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie on 6/6/2011, 1:57 pm

You can also line your yard with sulphur, which will also help keep snakes out of your yard, which if your neighbor is not mowing is a possibility. This will help keep the ants from coming in your yard, notice I said help, not stop, but the goal here is not to make them move, but to EXTERMINATE & ELIMINATE them, because they will come back one day.

FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

View user profile http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Homekeeper on 6/6/2011, 6:56 pm

@dmsandlin wrote:On the bright side, maybe they'll keep the slug population down a bit. I bet one banana slug can make a big dent in the garden faster than you can say Snoqualmie.

This is so coincidental! I had never heard of a banana slug until I read this yesterday - so I googled it and was like wow, never seen of those. Today, as I'm watering the sugar snap peas - there was a yellow slug! I was like, get out of here....that is so crazy. Had to call over my daughter (who is homeschooled) to see it before we got rid of it - awesome science lesson! Razz

Homekeeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Homekeeper on 6/9/2011, 6:41 pm

It has been about 5 days since sprinkling the Terro along the fence a few feet away from our garden beds and I've only seen one or two ants the past few days in my garden! So either its working, or they are hiding from the rainy weather. It seems to be doing the job! cheers

Homekeeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 6/10/2011, 12:01 am

Great those guys are murder.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hkovach on 1/11/2012, 5:01 am

Here are some interesting methods...I am in SWLA and we battle fire ants year round. Tried all kinds of methods, usually just makes them move, but these we have not tried before. I thought the grits & ACV ideas were especially interesting.

hkovach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v on 1/11/2012, 7:52 am

I live here in southwest Mississippi. I use an organic fire ant killer that has spinosad in it. I also bought orange guard an orange oil based liquid that can be used for many things, one of them being ant killer. I also have pure orange oil in my arsenal. The orange oil is new to the arsenal so I cannot give you my results. The organic fire ant bait >> http://www.fertilome.com/product.aspx?pid=2afe2dd9-79e6-45ea-a776-deb675b131c9
This works !! I hate fire ants I dont know how many times Ive been standing watering and look down and there those creeps are and when you go very slowly to start wiping them off.. someone bites you ack !!
I am sharing a couple more links for fire ant control the first is from MSU http://msucares.com/insects/fireants/organic.html

This one is I found for the "Texas Two Step" method to killing fire ants using greenlight fire ant killer and orange guard. http://msucares.com/insects/fireants/organic.html

Dislikes fire ants immensely !!
Ha-v-v

Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry on 1/11/2012, 8:41 am

We've had good results with DE, but it has to be food grade. The swimming pool grade is polished and won't kill them. We also use it around the inside of the house to kill scorpions. It's the only think we've found that really works on those nasty creatures. What a Face

We lived on the Medina River several years ago, and one year when it flooded over into our field, the balls of fire ants were floating in the water, waiting for the field to dry up. They are terrible.

But DE works well. And you don't have to worry about it hurting your animals, etc.

TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hkovach on 1/11/2012, 8:59 am

@hkovach wrote:Here are some interesting methods...I am in SWLA and we battle fire ants year round. Tried all kinds of methods, usually just makes them move, but these we have not tried before. I thought the grits & ACV ideas were especially interesting.

sorry, forgot the link! http://crazyhorsesghost.hubpages.com/hub/Fire-Ants-And-How-To-Declare-War-On-Them

hkovach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort on 1/11/2012, 9:53 am

I just use Amdro type product - put it out twice a year and I have had no issues for two years now... I am going to do the neighbors yard for free next year - keep building out that fire ant free zone....

ashort

Male Posts : 520

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:02 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum