Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by Kelejan Today at 12:53 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:30 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:25 pm

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:20 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

disappointed and discouraged

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

disappointed and discouraged

Post  buttaflie143 on 5/27/2011, 2:15 pm

Sad Every since I planted on 4/26, it's been one thing after another. Sad I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get anything more than the bit of lettuce I harvest a couple of days ago. Sad

buttaflie143

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: disappointed and discouraged

Post  boog1 on 5/27/2011, 2:32 pm

nobodys ammune to everything, we can only do what we can an hope for the best an learn from it and strive ta do better next time. sides theres allways the serinity prayer used it more than once myself Wink

boog

boog1

Male Posts : 260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec on 5/27/2011, 2:44 pm

That's the way my gardening season went last year. I'm hoping for a better year this year. What's been going on?

Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 5/27/2011, 3:18 pm

Buttaflie, that's gardening. It's a constant battle against bugs and weather. Something is always trying to outsmart you.

New gardeners beware!! SFG does NOT make your gardening life easy. It only makes it easiER. SFG is NOT a system by which you just stick seeds in the mix and they turn into 20 foot tomato plants that bugs hate and thunderstorms dodge. It just doesn't work that way.

Experience, though, will teach that there is NO better way to garden than SFG. This is the simplest, least efforted way to garden there is.....that's successful.

Try not to get too down on yourself or the garden. You'll get there soon enough. And, it's still SO SO SOOOO early in the season.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 5/27/2011, 3:21 pm

Keep going! And trying things; only be doing so will you find what is successful for you in your space. I think Central OH has been teleported to Seattle; we have had 12 inches of rain since April 1 and so little sun we have forgotten what it is called!

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 on 5/27/2011, 3:27 pm

@Bec wrote:That's the way my gardening season went last year. I'm hoping for a better year this year. What's been going on?

1st it was the unusually cool weather
then nitrogen issues, had to replant most of my transplants
bugs eating my okra
some kind of animal dug up my seeds like three times and was the death of one of my tomato plants
too much rain (and its raining now)
this morning the animal dug up my carrot seedlings (I cried. I had to remove the cage b/c it was time to train my tomato plants to the trellis)
and something (looks like black spot) is all over my zucchini leaves.

Sad I just don't know what to do.

buttaflie143

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy on 5/27/2011, 4:12 pm

Sounds like it's been rough. Sorry.

Can you cover your boxes with tulle to keep the bugs and animals out?

jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom on 5/27/2011, 5:38 pm

I just covered my potatoes yesterday with more MM (they are in tires). I went out to show off to the DH and some animal had dug most of the new MM out of the tires. I figure it's cats-we do have 6 of the little beasts. If you know anybody that has a live trap, that might be the answer. You might try red pepper or some other animal repellent.

Buttaflie, I don't remember how many boxes you have. You might try a box of just lettuce and such that can stay covered and then your tomatoes and trellising things in a seperate box. I planted my carrots in a big old deep planter this year. It's getting late for the salad stuff anyway, so maybe just concentrate on the tomatoes.

Last year, we had so much rain, we couldn't mow the lawn. Ok we did a few times. That will encourage fungus to grow, which might be what is going on with your zucchini. I swear, zucchini use to be so easy to grow, but lately, I can't get it to grow worth a darn.
If you can cover with plastic when it rains, it might help to keep things dry.

It's been so cool here the last few nights, I've been covering every thing. It's crazy at this time of year to have to do that.

Hang in there and I'll be thinking of you Smile

stripesmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 on 5/27/2011, 6:41 pm

Thanks. I really needed the hug. How can I cover them with plastic? Do you have pics you can share to give me a visual?

buttaflie143

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom on 5/27/2011, 7:00 pm

I have hoops, so if I were to use plastic, I'd drape it over the hoops and clip it on. I have been using old tents for mine, since I have only used them for short periods of time. My camping gear was in the basement and got moldy. Yep, every thing is wet here, lol. Anyway, I saved the tent material and also some canvas I had from a metal/canvas gazebo that I put up on the patio a few years ago. That gazebo lasted 2 weeks and we had a wind storm that ripped it up, even though it was anchored into concrete blocks with gigantic nuts and bolts, and tossed it at the garage like a toy. So, I kept the canvas and it finally has come in handy. You might check out garage sales for old tents if you want to go with that. But plastic is transparent, so it would let in light. I only use the canvas for night time and think it will come in handy when winter comes and it's really cold. Some people use clamps to hold plastic on, but I found binder clips at Walmart in the stationary section (you might find them cheaper at Staples). They came 4 in a package for $1.88. They are 2 inches and go around the 1/2 inch pvc pipe perfectly, holding the canvas/tent or plastic in place.

I haven't got a digital camera, but did take some pictures using a disposable. I'll have the pictures back tomorrow. If I took pictures of the covers, I think I did, I'll post them tomorrow. Sorry I'm running on here, lol. Too much caffiene this late in the day for an old lady, lol.

stripesmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 on 5/27/2011, 7:18 pm

Thank you so much. I'll check back for the pics tomorrow.

buttaflie143

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 on 5/27/2011, 8:34 pm

Sad I went out after the rainstorm that came in from the west to find one of my pepper plants laying down, one of the zucchini plants almost uprooted, some onion tops broken, and holes throughout many leaves. What if I just don't go my boxes for a while or until around the time to harvest (plant maturity dates)?

buttaflie143

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WendySue67 on 5/27/2011, 8:46 pm

I have been having trouble too, but I have managed to lick both the animals and the rain. I used 10 ft. PVC pipe just like in the book--they bend corner to corner and cross in the middle with a zip tie to hold them in place. Over the PVC I have bird netting that stays there all the time to keep the animals out (I actually watched a cat run into it the other day--quite funny) and I also bought 6 mil. plastic sheeting to help with the rain. I hold it down so it doesn't blow away with bricks on three corners, leaving one corner folded up to keep everything from getting too hot. I know plants can grow in the rain, but we were getting torrential rain and it kept coming and coming, and then came the hail...so I was VERY GLAD I had covers on everything! At night our temperatures have STILL been dropping too low for comfort (about 40 degrees) so I close up the corner overnight and everything stays warm. The covers have saved me...and while a lot of family and friends are complaining about how the weather is killing their gardens, mine looks great right now.

Good luck... I started early with frustrations but now things are better (this is my first year with SFG). They will get better for you too.

WendySue67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/27/2011, 9:56 pm

buttaflie, you know what I would do at this stage?

Get some beautiful plastic vegetables and place them nicely in your boxes. And then visit the farmer's market, and eat those vegetables while looking out over your beautiful boxes.

rofl

Just kidding. I hope it gets better. I was thinking today - maybe the first year, it's best to just let the soil settle and mix and age and finish composting, and then plant the 2nd year. I wonder if that would help at all. My newly hatched greenbeans that were so beautiful yesterday are now a little yellowish... hmmm...

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 5/27/2011, 10:46 pm

Hey! Where did my reply go??? Mad I hate it when I hit a wrong button and things disappear.

So, Buttaflie, if you look around the forum, you will see a lot of people struggling with a lot of different types of challenging weather. You have been putting a lot of time, thought and effort into your garden and it is hard to have problem after problem after problem.

NH Gardener, MM shouldn't need to settle the first year - it should be ready to go. If one is using homemade compost or animal manure, one certainly needs to make sure everything has aged.

But B'flie, my suggestion is that you do whatever is going to have the most likely chance of some amount of success. Go buy a plant that is just right for right now, stick it in your MM and watch it grow.

But hang in there - with all the sh*t you are going through, there's got to be a pony somewhere!

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/27/2011, 11:03 pm

Yeah, Martha, I just am suspect of some of the commercial composts, whether they're truly well composted. I wonder if some of them aren't half-baked, with some of the nitrogen issues I've read about.

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 5/28/2011, 5:13 am

Buttaflie here is a hug from me. Gardening is a learning process to be sure. I kept a log of my gardens over the years and every year had it's trials to be sure. Two important lessons I have learned are don't give up and make the county extension office earn their money. Those people can be very helpful just don't expect them to know about SFG per say.
I now plant the varieties of vegetables they say grow best here but experiment with new ones too. I pick ones with the best resistance to the blights, rusts and so on that strike most often here. Sometimes it seems old mother nature is just against me. Down here just when a plant is realy looking great in my garden that is when the pests find it.
Stick it out and you will find success. I have yet to have a year when everything I planted did well but most years most of them did. Already this year I have lost my cucumbers to a blight and I planted bush beans that never grew well. I pulled them up and planted again. On the other hand the tomatoes, squash and eggplants are doing realy well. I should say 1 eggplant is, the other one well Rolling Eyes .
I clip off any leaves that look bad too so my plants may not be the prettiest but the live longer that way. If you do go out there and snip away be sure you clean you snippers between plants so if one is sick you won't be spreading it around.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie on 5/28/2011, 8:29 am

Eh dear. Don't be so glum, when you garden you start to learn how Mother Nature's system works from experience. It's sometimes painful experience because things happen that you don't expect. Gardening isn't fully predictable, it is a challenge, that's what stops it from being dull and boring it just takes time to learn how to prevent problems or deal with the ones that you can't prevent.

I didn't have my sfg beds set up but I wanted to get some carrots started so I sowed them in a container, inserted hoops and wrapped plastic around. It kept them warmer on frost nights. These, in the pic below, are bent bamboo cane hoops which are crossed over at the top.

You could do the same with plastic pipes to fit a small bed. I did that with my gooseberry bush. (next pic)

Or you can put hoops across the short ends of the bed and throw plastic or netting over. (next pic) It depends what critters and or weather you are protecting against as to what cover you need.

If it is a long bed you can add more hoops every metre along and you could add wood or pipe horizontally along the long sides or top, tied with wire or strong string or nuts and bolts through to stop them from leaning in or out like mine Very Happy these are temporary ones so I haven't bothered.

There are lots of pics on the forum of folk's beds, some have wire cages over or fences around or "walk in cages" for keeping birds and animals out (like what we call "fruit cages" here (you can buy them in the Uk but boy are they expensive!). I'm sure you will find something that will work for you.

Barkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 on 5/28/2011, 10:23 am

@martha wrote:Hey! Where did my reply go??? Mad I hate it when I hit a wrong button and things disappear.

So, Buttaflie, if you look around the forum, you will see a lot of people struggling with a lot of different types of challenging weather. You have been putting a lot of time, thought and effort into your garden and it is hard to have problem after problem after problem.

NH Gardener, MM shouldn't need to settle the first year - it should be ready to go. If one is using homemade compost or animal manure, one certainly needs to make sure everything has aged.

But B'flie, my suggestion is that you do whatever is going to have the most likely chance of some amount of success. Go buy a plant that is just right for right now, stick it in your MM and watch it grow.

But hang in there - with all the sh*t you are going through, there's got to be a pony somewhere!

Thanks Martha! I am going to continue to do my best, hope for the best, and ask for help along the way.

buttaflie143

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie on 5/28/2011, 10:48 am

@martha wrote:

LOL! Good one Martha! I love it.

Disappearing stuff sucks......whether it is in the garden or on the computer. I am with you both on that.

Buttaflie, some years are just like that. Don't give up. Fence out the critters. It sucks to have to do that 'cuz it doesn't always look very pretty that way but sometimes we have to give up "pretty" for "practical". After you have done this for a time or two, you will also learn what things to tweak for what plants and it will be like second nature to you.

I love you

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 on 5/28/2011, 11:04 am

Thank you too Shannon and Barkie. I know gardening is unpredictable and challenging, which is probably what drew me to it in the first place. When things grow the feelings of achievement are indescribable, and when I lick this madness the feeling is going to be great. I need to remember that I am not a seasoned gardener and every year is a learning experience, trial and error. I am keeping thorough notes and hopefully the time and effort I have put into my garden will pay off....some day Very Happy .

buttaflie143

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 5/28/2011, 12:08 pm

@NHGardener wrote:Yeah, Martha, I just am suspect of some of the commercial composts, whether they're truly well composted. I wonder if some of them aren't half-baked, with some of the nitrogen issues I've read about.

This I completely understand!

Buttaflie, my other offering is to allow yourself to feel the frustration and sadness - briefly. Don't try to talk yourself out of it. Don't allow yourself to stay there - which I don't think you do. I think you are good at bouncing back, but, for me, bouncing back is easier after a brief cry or whine or whimper - or all three!

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 5/28/2011, 4:02 pm

For several years, I've used a particular, well-known brand of potting soil, even using it as a seed-starting medium. With a new SFG and its home-mixed growing medium, I bought just one sack of potting soil, both for seed starting, deck containers, and for some house plants. First, some seeds for tomatoes and peppers failed to sprout; a few sprouted then damped off; then some tomato plants I'd potted up into this new bag of potting soil started looking poorly. Experience said the potting soil likely was at fault. The potted-up plants were yanked out and put in a variation of Mel's mix--they perked up within a week. It's too late to recover from the early seed loss Mad --but that's what Farmers' Markets are for, we'll get replacement plants there. A recent special gardening magazine by Mother Earth News warned of some composts containing herbicide residue. Don't know if that was my problem, but it's one to consider when things don't work as expected.

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom on 5/28/2011, 5:39 pm

I promised pictures today, but I've not gotten to the store, and not sure if I will today. Will tomorrow though!

stripesmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 on 5/28/2011, 6:53 pm

@stripesmom wrote:I promised pictures today, but I've not gotten to the store, and not sure if I will today. Will tomorrow though!
NP Very Happy

buttaflie143

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:57 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum