Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:35 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by dstack Today at 11:38 am

by sfg4uKim Today at 11:00 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 10:42 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

vermiculite danger?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: vermiculite danger?

Post  shannon1 on 6/6/2011, 1:36 am

@jbh29 wrote:Wow, I leave for a weekend and this thread gets really entertaining! Laughing

Thanks for all the good info and great perspectives on warning labels. My favorite (since my husband cuts our fire wood for winter heat) is "do not stop chain saw with your hand". Now that's good advice! affraid
OMG, I guess some poor fool must have tried it.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino on 6/6/2011, 2:01 am

Out of two of the best warnings I have heard one was only by word of mouth. A lady in the Ozarks told us that the crab like things we saw on the road were tarantulas. I was immediately alarmed and she told me, " They are not dangerous. They only bite if you pick them up and shake them." I'd like to meet the first person to have figured that one out.

The warning I think I heard on Jay Leno and it was for a stroller. It said to not close the stroller with the child inside of it. Really? I couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes and when I think of it I still laugh.

jymarino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie on 6/6/2011, 3:23 am

As to vermiculite well my bag from Dupre says mix 1 part to 4 for the garden tubs and baskets to improve water retention and use it dry to store fruit and bulbs. They also make an ultra-fine version used as an ingredient in cattle feed. They recommend their medium grade for horticulture and it isn't sold as "horticultural grade".

Stupidest warning label probably on diner coffee cups about the coffee being hot.

Barkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake on 6/6/2011, 5:24 am

@Barkie wrote:

Stupidest warning label probably on diner coffee cups about the coffee being hot.

Howdy Folks:

And then on the bottle of sleeping pills it says, "CAUTION = May Cause Drowsiness".

On a fold out sun visor for your car windshield, "CAUTION - Remove Before Driving".

Warning: Do not attempt to remove blade while lawnmower is running or plugged into an outlet.

Craftsman Push Mower

This bag contains forest products.

On a bag of Pine Bark Mulch

Do not use when temperature exceeds 140 Fahrenheit.

On a Wheelbarrow

I think I will follow the advise on the wheelbarrow and not work my SFG when the temperature is above 140 degrees!

As far as our favorite Vermiculite warning I read that it applies to the dust in the bag that can be breathed in when handling. Same warning applies to fine sand and other rock dust such as granite dust that some farmers have used as a slow release fertilizer.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 6/6/2011, 9:36 am

@WardinWake wrote:
@Barkie wrote:

Howdy Folks:

And then on the bottle of sleeping pills it says, "CAUTION = May Cause Drowsiness".

On a fold out sun visor for your car windshield, "CAUTION - Remove Before Driving".

Warning: Do not attempt to remove blade while lawnmower is running or plugged into an outlet.

Craftsman Push Mower

This bag contains forest products.

On a bag of Pine Bark Mulch

Do not use when temperature exceeds 140 Fahrenheit.

On a Wheelbarrow

I think I will follow the advise on the wheelbarrow and not work my SFG when the temperature is above 140 degrees!

As far as our favorite Vermiculite warning I read that it applies to the dust in the bag that can be breathed in when handling. Same warning applies to fine sand and other rock dust such as granite dust that some farmers have used as a slow release fertilizer.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

May cause mental/mood changes

Antidepressant

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 6/6/2011, 9:42 am

@NHGardener wrote:
@BackyardBirdGardner wrote:If we panicked everytime we read warning labels, we wouldn't brush our teeth with toothpaste. Seriously, look at the label and tell me if you want to let your kids brush their teeth anymore.

My 10 yr. old is paranoid about brushing her teeth after having read the toothpaste tube. She rinses her mouth about 60 times afterwards too. She showed me exactly where it says on the toothpaste tube that it's poisonous...

I'm sorry. I didn't mean for that comment to actually scare anyone, let alone someone's child. I was only pointing out the ridiculousness of the things we put in our mouths an how they are chemically controlled to keep the really bad stuff from being ingested.

Please remind her than in small doses, no harm is done. A 10 year old would have to eat a lot more than a pea-sized amount to be affected in any way. That label is likely put on there for toddlers that put everything in their mouths.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 6/7/2011, 4:27 am

Or you could just stop using tooth paste with fluoride, like TOM's for example. There is more than enough fluoride in the water already. I can't wait to see if there is a warning on the lable.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/7/2011, 6:26 am

@shannon1 wrote:Or you could just stop using tooth paste with fluoride, like TOM's for example. There is more than enough fluoride in the water already. I can't wait to see if there is a warning on the lable.

That's a great idea - I had forgotten about Toms! That would solve a lot of my problems. A lot of Toms' toothpastes do have fluoride, but hopefully they sell it w/o here too, I'll check.

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 6/7/2011, 11:52 pm

Yep they do, that's what I use.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener on 6/12/2011, 10:46 am

@shannon1 wrote:Or you could just stop using tooth paste with fluoride, like TOM's for example. There is more than enough fluoride in the water already. I can't wait to see if there is a warning on the lable.

Unless you are on well water like I am...

dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 6/13/2011, 12:06 am

@dizzygardener wrote:

Unless you are on well water like I am...
Lots of people argue Fluoride is not needed and in fact lowers ones IQ. Rolling Eyes I don't know about that, but IMO if one goes to the dentist on a reg. time table one does not need additonal fluoride.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PVPind on 6/13/2011, 3:08 pm

Thanks all for the humor, I needed it today.

We answer questions about verm and asbestos daily here in the office. A lot of ill informed people around. That's why I posted our asbestos certificate on our webpage. Hasn't stopped the calls, which is fine, but quality info is out there if people truly want to learn. Just have to find it.

If rough for use to keep up with the information age, but I'm trying.

PVPind

Male Posts : 119

View user profile http://www.pvpind.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M on 6/13/2011, 10:36 pm

I would figure that the substance that it may contain that may cause cancer would be asbestos. Pity they still have to put that on the bags, since they closed the mine that had the asbestos in with the vermiculite. There is no asbestos in the mines they use now. From what I've read, the only asbestos danger from vermiculite now is old insulation.

Other than that, it's just simply wise to wear a mask when you mix with vermiculite, so you don't breathe the dust. If you inhale large amounts of anything besides air, it can be bad for you.

@boffer wrote:Remember the CCA pressure treated wood that was phased out a few years ago because it contained arsenic? Laboratory tests proved that there was enough arsenic to kill me if I ate two 2x4x8' every day for 10 years.

Good roughage, but pretty boring diet.
There apparently is a danger, though, from the dust. I saw a medical program recently that involved a couple who were doing a lot of building and remodeling. They had the saw in a garage, and no dust masks. They breathed in so much of the dust, they both ended up with arsenic poisoning -- enough that the guy at the lab that analyzed their hair refused to believe that it had come from people who were alive.

That said, people have been using the pressure treated wood in their vegetable gardens for decades, but very few people die of arsenic poisoning. The few that do didn't get it from their gardens. Shocked (I've heard of only the one case of people getting it from from pressure treated wood at all, and I just told you about it.)

Miss M

View user profile http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:46 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum