Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by trolleydriver Today at 11:15 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Today at 9:39 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:01 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:00 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 8:59 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by countrynaturals Today at 8:41 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:41 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 5:46 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Today at 5:33 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pruning Tomatoes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pruning Tomatoes

Post  Hyzleyes on 6/11/2011, 2:45 pm

New SFGer here. I know I need to prune my tomatoes, just haven't ever done it before and have a few questions...

1. I've pruned all of the suckers. Do I also take off branches? How do I know which ones and how many?

2. Do the branches and the suckers both root and make new plants? If so, how far are they behind the original plant(s)? Just curious if it's worth it now or if they'll be too late for the season.

Thanks in advance!

Christine

Hyzleyes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pruning Tomatoes

Post  shannon1 on 6/12/2011, 12:34 am

Hi and welcome. I prune off the bottom leaves, any that would touch the ground and any discolored ones as well. Only the suckers will make new plants not leaves.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes on 6/12/2011, 8:43 pm

Thank you Shannon! Ok, I've pruned off all the very low branches on all four plants. I've removed all the suckers on two of them and all but the lowest sucker on two of them. I read somewhere that this was recommended. Seems like there are vastly differing opinions out there on this topic! I'm curious though, if in SFG, I should be pruning all of the suckers because of space. Any advice welcome!

Hyzleyes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/12/2011, 10:19 pm

@Hyzleyes wrote: if in SFG, I should be pruning all of the suckers because of space.

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Pruning Tomatoes

Post  sherryeo on 6/12/2011, 10:37 pm

Hyzleyes,

I think it's generally recommended to leave any sucker above the top flowering cluster. You can prune that after the next flowering cluster appears. This is really, from what I understand, to help be sure you're cutting the sucker and not the main stem above the flowers. It is just easier to tell which is which once the next flowering cluster appears - don't prune the branch with the flowering cluster.

There are some excellent posts on pruning tomatoes here on the forum. Just enter "pruning tomatoes" in the little search engine at the bottom of the "Latest Topics" to the left. It should bring up lots of posts, some with a link to a video you can watch that shows how to prune tomatoes (and also "string" tomatoes rather than using stakes for support) that is really good. Very Happy

sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 6/15/2012, 4:52 pm

I think it's generally recommended to leave any sucker above the top flowering cluster. You can prune that after the next flowering cluster appears. This is really, from what I understand, to help be sure you're cutting the sucker and not the main stem above the flowers. It is just easier to tell which is which once the next flowering cluster appears - don't prune the branch with the flowering cluster.
This is the exact detail I have never been sure of, thanks so much.....

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/15/2012, 7:57 pm

@GWN wrote:
This is the exact detail I have never been sure of, thanks so much.....
I pinch out ALL suckers but will not prune stems of foliage above any bloom.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/11/2012, 7:21 pm

So apparently I am terrible about pruning my tomatoes Embarassed I may a missed a few suckers or eight and now have 4 tomatoes with 3-4 vines... They are all indeterminate a jubilee, sweet 100, red delicious, and better boy. Can I trim them back to one vine without killing them?

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/11/2012, 7:36 pm

@cheyannarach wrote:So apparently I am terrible about pruning my tomatoes Embarassed I may a missed a few suckers or eight and now have 4 tomatoes with 3-4 vines... They are all indeterminate a jubilee, sweet 100, red delicious, and better boy. Can I trim them back to one vine without killing them?
Do all those stems have blooms or fruit? If yes, at this point I would just leave them on and support them as best possible. I have had a similar situation in the past and it really is not a terrible thing! Very Happy

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/11/2012, 8:11 pm

Alot of them do and some of them don't, should I leave the fruiting ones on and remove the others maybe? If I remove one and stick it in a jug of water will it root that way and make a new plant thinking

cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 on 7/11/2012, 9:13 pm

Yes it will, this one was 6 inch sucker that I put in water for about 2 weeks then buried all but an inch. It is about 20 inches and starting to flower now. I think it was somewhere on the forum that I read the age of the DNA is the same as the mother plant so it will fruit around the same time.

chjbr63

Male Posts : 106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/12/2012, 12:24 am

@chjbr63 wrote:Yes it will, this one was 6 inch sucker that I put in water for about 2 weeks then buried all but an inch. It is about 20 inches and starting to flower now. I think it was somewhere on the forum that I read the age of the DNA is the same as the mother plant so it will fruit around the same time.

My only concern now is I don't know who the mother is, these are not suckers they are full blown vines so I don't want to kill the mother if I remove them. Thanks so much for the pics! Is that parsley with your tomato? That is also really good to know about fruiting the same time as the mother, a person could save a lot of time and $ buying plants and making new plants this way!

cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 on 7/12/2012, 12:48 am

Yes that is parsley. That bucket was suppose to be full of it, most didn't come up so I stuck that sucker in. The only way you will kill the mother is poison, disease, bugs or pulling the whole plant out. I had deer eat 8 of mine down to 3 inch stumps and all of them came back with 2-5 suckers that are the main plant now. Here is another picture. The tomato in the middle of the box was completely eaten. Out of the 3 inch stump grew 5 suckers. 2 weeks ago I cut 2 off that were almost 3 feet long and my mother took them a 100 miles away and they are now doing well in another garden.

chjbr63

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Suckers

Post  Luke Allen on 7/12/2012, 8:27 am

I have always suckered my tomatoes as I feel the fruit has a better taste. However I grow my vines in baskets that are 5 and 1/2 feet tall. As the plants began to get to the top of the baskets I leave all suckers to make a more dense top to shade the rest of the plant. I live in West Texas where shade is very important. This shade lets my plants live through the 100+ temperatures that we have. I harvest fruit until the end of November.

Luke Allen

Male Posts : 36

View user profile http://lukeallen900@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/12/2012, 9:14 am

@chjbr63 wrote:Yes that is parsley. That bucket was suppose to be full of it, most didn't come up so I stuck that sucker in. The only way you will kill the mother is poison, disease, bugs or pulling the whole plant out. I had deer eat 8 of mine down to 3 inch stumps and all of them came back with 2-5 suckers that are the main plant now. Here is another picture. The tomato in the middle of the box was completely eaten. Out of the 3 inch stump grew 5 suckers. 2 weeks ago I cut 2 off that were almost 3 feet long and my mother took them a 100 miles away and they are now doing well in another garden.

Alright, you've convinced me! When I get home from work today I am cutting the non flowering vines off! Thank you!

cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/12/2012, 10:13 am

Yes it will, this one was 6 inch sucker that I put in water for about 2 weeks then buried all but an inch. It is about 20 inches and starting to flower now. I think it was somewhere on the forum that I read the age of the DNA is the same as the mother plant so it will fruit around the same time.
This is really interesting, never thought to do that.
I am trying very hard to keep my tomatoes perfectly pruned, because with the SFG they are in smaller places than they used to be. SO I am being RUTHLESS.
I have about 30 plants and I go out every day and even doing that, about once a week I notice that an entire branch has grown up from down below.
I feel terrible chopping it off, but now I will stick them in water. Smile They are very very sneaky.
The other problem I now have with 3 of my plants after a terrible wind storm Monday that hit for 10 minutes but did lots of damage, is that I have 3 plants with no leading stem. So for these I will have to wait for a sucker and then encourage it to become the new "mother"

The OTHER issue I am having is that I decided this year to plant my seedlings laying the rootball on its side with some of the stem to encourage better roots, however almost all of those plants keep sending up new plants at the base of the main plant. These I pull up and stick in water as they all have their own roots. ???

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/12/2012, 11:18 am

@GWN wrote:
This is really interesting, never thought to do that.
I am trying very hard to keep my tomatoes perfectly pruned, because with the SFG they are in smaller places than they used to be. SO I am being RUTHLESS.
I have about 30 plants and I go out every day and even doing that, about once a week I notice that an entire branch has grown up from down below.
I feel terrible chopping it off, but now I will stick them in water. Smile They are very very sneaky.
The other problem I now have with 3 of my plants after a terrible wind storm Monday that hit for 10 minutes but did lots of damage, is that I have 3 plants with no leading stem. So for these I will have to wait for a sucker and then encourage it to become the new "mother"

The OTHER issue I am having is that I decided this year to plant my seedlings laying the rootball on its side with some of the stem to encourage better roots, however almost all of those plants keep sending up new plants at the base of the main plant. These I pull up and stick in water as they all have their own roots. ???

Yes GWN! That's what we are doing and they should develop new roots is a week or so! I did this with basil (with advice from Rowena) and voila! New basil plant!

cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 on 7/12/2012, 5:06 pm

Cheyanne,

No need to thank me, I'm just happy I could help. Besides if it were not for the great people running the forum and all the vast knowledge of the members I would have given up gardening a long time ago.

Good Luck With Your Suckers

Chris

chjbr63

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 on 7/12/2012, 8:33 pm

Hey Cheyanne,

How do you get basil to start another plant??? Do I cut it so there are at least two sets of leaves and put the stem in water and it will sprout new roots?

Will this work for oregano too? If so I could have more than one planting with one plant.....

floyd1440

Male Posts : 795

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/12/2012, 9:05 pm

@floyd1440 wrote:
Hey Cheyanne,

How do you get basil to start another plant??? Do I cut it so there are at least two sets of leaves and put the stem in water and it will sprout new roots?

Will this work for oregano too? If so I could have more than one planting with one plant.....

I don't remember for sure about oregano because I think oregano creeps and reroots to spread so with that you may be able to dig up an established reroot and relocate it but that is exactly what I did with the basil and it's got lots of roots now, I need to get it in the garden now!

I clipped all but one of my monster suckers and they are all in a bucket of water, hopefully they take, I will keep you posted! I have a few more empty squares after last night darn deer... so I sprinked some fresh cayenne on everything and scattered more coffee grounds all around the yard. I would love to see them when they get a whiff of the pepper :lolsignwave:

cheyannarach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum