Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by trolleydriver Today at 11:15 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Today at 9:39 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:01 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:00 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 8:59 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by countrynaturals Today at 8:41 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:41 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 5:46 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Today at 5:33 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from DFW!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from DFW!

Post  Jen5253 on 6/15/2011, 3:51 pm

I'm in the process of getting my beds ready, and am just waiting for the vermiculite order to arrive at my local feed store. I know it's going to be hard to grow things here in the hot Texas summer heat, but I'm up for the challenge! I just finished reading the Square Foot Gardening book, and I'm anxious to start planting my starters! It's going to be a small garden for now, and then hope to expand this fall and next spring. I have three little gardeners to help me weed and water, and it's going to be fun to introduce them to planting and growing fruits and veggies and herbs!

I know that I'm going to have a lot of questions and also look forward to seeing other gardens and read about what other people are doing!

Jen5253

Female Posts : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from DFW!

Post  Furbalsmom on 6/15/2011, 4:23 pm

Jen

Glad to have you join us.

Did you read the older edition of Square Foot Gardening or did you read the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING, which was published in 2006. Hope you got the newer version as it makes gardening even easier.

You will find we have members in your area, so I am sure there will be some help for your specific, very warm climate.

Again, Welcome and please keep us updated on your progress.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener on 6/17/2011, 9:00 am

Glad to have you!

The great thing about SFG is that there are little to no weeds. I literally pull up one, maybe two, weeds a days.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask them. We are always eager to help out fellow SFGers if we can.

+1 on the pictures! We LOVE pictures around here. When you get your SFG up and running please post some pictures for us.

Please stop on by your regional forum when you have a chance. Regional forums are a great place to get region specific information, ask regional questions, and generally get to know folks from your area. If you are worried about gardening in the hot Texas sun, the folks in your region can probably give you some good pointers.

Take care and happy gardening.

dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 6/17/2011, 10:42 am

glad you\'re here

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1858

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 6/18/2011, 3:59 am

Jen5253 wrote:I'm in the process of getting my beds ready, and am just waiting for the vermiculite order to arrive at my local feed store. I know it's going to be hard to grow things here in the hot Texas summer heat, but I'm up for the challenge! I just finished reading the Square Foot Gardening book, and I'm anxious to start planting my starters! It's going to be a small garden for now, and then hope to expand this fall and next spring. I have three little gardeners to help me weed and water, and it's going to be fun to introduce them to planting and growing fruits and veggies and herbs!

I know that I'm going to have a lot of questions and also look forward to seeing other gardens and read about what other people are doing!
Welcome Jen,
So glad you found us. Soon it will be time to plant the fall gardens. I know how hard it is to wait. Fall gardens are planted from the begining of sept., end of Aug. So you may want to save some squares for things like beets, carrots,onions and the like. It is so hot right now but there are still some things that will do well like okra, and here in FL we plant peppers, eggplant and tomatoes to harvest right before it starts cooling off. Some years it works some years it does not just depends on the weather.
Your helpers will have a blast, and you will too.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cerridanae on 6/20/2011, 3:02 am

In DFW we're actually supposed to plant out fall tomato transplants in just a couple weeks. I plant mine the 2nd week in July and still don't always get em all ripened before a frost.

I need to buy some early season tomato transplants still myself, but I just finished rooting cuttings from several mid-seasons I grew this spring I'm going to try and squeak in before we get frost this year. Gonna hit up North Haven Gardens or Redenta's next weekend and try and find some early-season heirlooms, or at least some more interesting hybrids than I can ever find at the big box stores. I plan on starting several of my cool-season vegetable seeds this week too.

Hi by the way, I'm new here too...we're also neighbors, I'm in Irving hehe! =D

Cerridanae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 6/20/2011, 4:09 am

Cerridanae wrote:In DFW we're actually supposed to plant out fall tomato transplants in just a couple weeks. I plant mine the 2nd week in July and still don't always get em all ripened before a frost.

I need to buy some early season tomato transplants still myself, but I just finished rooting cuttings from several mid-seasons I grew this spring I'm going to try and squeak in before we get frost this year. Gonna hit up North Haven Gardens or Redenta's next weekend and try and find some early-season heirlooms, or at least some more interesting hybrids than I can ever find at the big box stores. I plan on starting several of my cool-season vegetable seeds this week too.

here too so glad you reminded me. It may be too late, depending on what mother earth has in store this year, but when I get home I will start rooting suckers from my favorite tom for fall. Wink

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jhayford on 6/20/2011, 11:40 am

Welcome to the party! I am new too everyone has been very helpful.

jhayford

Female Posts : 61

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  petals1973 on 6/20/2011, 1:43 pm

Cerridanae wrote:In DFW we're actually supposed to plant out fall tomato transplants in just a couple weeks. I plant mine the 2nd week in July and still don't always get em all ripened before a frost.

Hello Jen and Cerridanae! So glad to see people close to me. I have mostly heirloom tomatoes with lots of suckers that need to be trimmed. If either one of you need some let me know.

petals1973

Female Posts : 96

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:36 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum