Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 1:42 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:09 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Box Configuration

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tomato Box Configuration

Post  Hyzleyes on 6/23/2011, 7:25 am

This is our first year with SFG and we have four boxes. Three of them have hinged lids to protect from the heavy local deer & rabbit population.

The fourth has mesh "screened" doors. (Well, at least it has a screened door. The other three are still in the making.)

I hadn't planned to have this many tomato plants (11) and didn't realize how tall zucchini plants grew. Also have pepper plants in my hinged lid boxes and they're about at the limit height-wise (about 22 inches from dirt to the top of the lid.

DH has agreed to add a couple more boxes for next year. Trying to figure out the best configuration. Should I continue to grow tomatoes in the majority of the squares in a 4' x 4'? Or would it be better to add a long box, maybe a 8' x 2'? And how much do deer & rabbits usually bother tomato plants and peppers? Would I need to screen in the long box if it just had tomatoes & peppers?

Please let me learn from your experience! TIA!

Hyzleyes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

tomato Box Configuration

Post  HouseofWool on 6/23/2011, 8:27 am

Those are some serious beautiful boxes!

HouseofWool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomato Box Configuration

Post  Hyzleyes on 6/23/2011, 9:18 am

@HouseofWool wrote:Those are some serious beautiful boxes!

Thanks! DH is a bit of a perfectionist. Maybe me too. Maybe if we were more relaxed we could handle adding more boxes yet this summer. Smile

Hyzleyes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson on 6/23/2011, 9:39 am

VERY nice boxes. I will be upgrading my fencing soon. I have a cheap plastic fence, and a rabbit chewed his way in the other day. The only thing he ate was a bell pepper plant, but he did a number on it. It will live, but he only left a quarter of the leaves.

Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom on 6/23/2011, 10:49 am

Your DH is very talented. The boxes look great. Your plants also look very happy. Gosh, I'm jealous. If I had a guy that could build boxes like that, I'd keep him busy, lol.

This is my experience with 2x8 boxes-my first year. I love them. Reaching into the middle of a 4x4 is not hard, but if it's full of tomato plants, it might not be as easy to pick off or see the side shoots. Plus, when they are really tall, it might not be as easy to reach into the middle. Also, I'd think air flow would not be as good, which might lead to increased disease-moisture wouldn't dry as well. On the other hand, I've seen beautiful 4x4 boxes with huge tomatoes that have done just fine. You will know by the end of the growing season how much you like your set up and can change it next year if you want. I'm keeping a journal and writing down what is working and what isn't.

Deer will eat any thing if they are lean. They will also eat about any thing in their path and go for the easiest thing they can get to. On the other hand, I use to row garden and never had a deer or rabbit eat pepper or tomato plants. Probably, they had plenty of other things to eat, since we live in the middle of a field. Looks like you live close to a wooded area. The safest bet, would be to build a deer screen around the new beds. I'd hate to have my garden growing like crazy and then have it eaten one night by some rascal.

stripesmom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 6/24/2011, 12:38 am

Deer definitely eat tomato plants....and strawberries, lettuce, beans, honeyberries, even leavees off fig trees! Which explains the industrial-strength fence installed this past winter around our garden. The chicken wire enclosures you have around and over your beds look like they'll keep out the critters. Beautiful work, BTW. Nonna

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes on 6/24/2011, 4:47 pm

Thanks! Just trying to figure out if we can do the same fencing around a longer box. Each side of the tall box is a door that I can open to access that side. I guess with a 2' deep box, I'd only need access from one side. I'm sure DH doesn't want to build doors all around if he doesn't have to. Also, we only have three sides on this one and the plants have done alright. Just had a very small pepper plant that got a bit nibbled. I guess we should be getting the other three sides done asap. It would be so disappointing to lose them now!

Will have to look at the cost of covering additional boxes too. At $50/roll, that fencing doesn't come cheap. If anyone knows of a place to get something similar cheaper, please let me know. Also a bit disappointed that it rusted so quickly (about 2 weeks outside). Didn't think galvanized wire should do that.

Hyzleyes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 6/24/2011, 9:10 pm

There is a cheaper alternative to wire fencing, I'm using it to surround two areas outside the industrial-strength horse fencing around the main garden. This stuff (picture below): http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors/fencing/tenax/3-ft-x-25-ft-green-poultry-fence-22362.html Then I cut a section of the vinyl chicken fencing in half to go around the base of my 4 X 4 strawberry beds to keep the chipmunks out, and draped it with bird net to keep birds out. Whew! Stuff works well, but we have only a year's experience with it. Appears to be durable.

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 6/25/2011, 6:50 am

@Nonna.PapaVino wrote: Appears to be durable.

This is the stuff I made my 2 compost bins out of this year - got a roll of it at Menards for $19.95. Working very well so far.

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 6/25/2011, 9:20 am

I bought a squared version at Lowes that had 1" openings. I used scissors to cut out the middle of 4 squares to make 4" openings and am using on my trellis. Was cheaper and easier to work with than wire and sturdier than the nylon trellis material.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes on 6/25/2011, 11:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe we'll try some of that vinyl fencing on the new boxes once we get them put together. DH says not to even think about it until next year, but I'm hoping he'll be up for it once he finishes the new patio and spends a few days relaxing on it. sunny

Hyzleyes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:13 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum