Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:01 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:00 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 8:59 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by countrynaturals Today at 8:41 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:41 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 5:46 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Today at 5:33 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

» putting your raised garden beds to bed for Winter
by jimmy cee 11/30/2016, 8:46 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Flooding-my poor row garden, thank goodness for my SFG

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flooding-my poor row garden, thank goodness for my SFG

Post  retired member 2 on 6/26/2011, 9:17 pm

We have been out of town and just got home to discover we had flooding in the area where my row garden is. What a mess! It completely uncovered my red onions. They are about half grown. Should I recover them? It really tore up my tomatoes-completely uprooted a few of them and tossed them all over the garden. What a disappointment to come home to.

On a lighter note, my SFG which are in a different area are like monster gardens. So verdant green, it is almost unreal. Thank goodness for SFG

retired member 2

Female Posts : 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flooding-my poor row garden, thank goodness for my SFG

Post  nancy on 6/27/2011, 10:42 am

Yes, replant your onions. They may be okay. You never know. Mine are growing super slow, but they seem to have survived spring flooding issues.

Best wishes! I am sending boat-loads of sympathy!

nancy

Female Posts : 595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 6/27/2011, 2:19 pm

I have nine 4x4x12" raised beds but I also have 3 rows for things like strawberries, squashes, asparagus, and my coldframe. I find that hilling up those rows so they are about 5"-6" higher than the ground around them, makes drainage a snap. I don't have flooding problems when we get a deluge of rain.

18-ft row for newly-planted asparagus and zucchini.

Try raking your rows into hills in the middle and make use of the drainage possibilities.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 6/28/2011, 12:23 am

Rows why? rows

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 6/28/2011, 12:45 am

@shannon1 wrote:Rows why? rows

Normally I would agree with ya Shannon...there are a few crops, like asparagus and corn that some find to be more efficient in rows. Even if they are in a box or a hilled berm style planting area. I would guess its a personal choice.

I hope maybe next year to build a 12 inch deep box for asparagus, and I will plant that in rows like I did my corn this year. Smile

Sorry about the flood OP, but so glad you also have an SFG that came through it with flying colors!

middlemamma

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 6/28/2011, 3:13 am

Sorry about the flooding. I sure am glad your sfg did good! I had an asparagus patch in the ground for over 10 yrs. This year I built a 12" 4x4 and put in 7 plants. I found after that length of time the original location was not where I needed it to be!

Also after so many years the patch finally gave out. I didn't know asparagus would do that but I guess it does! Last year was good. This year not a single plant. I had already planned the move. Maybe the plants heard a rumor? Sometimes I swear they eavesdrop!

CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 6/28/2011, 8:14 am

shannon,
In my case it was because I had lots of garden loam left over from the delivery than boxes made or lumber to make more.
I had Mel's first book and didn't start with Mel's Mix. Mine was rich garden loam, peat moss, compost and a few amendments like limestone, bloodmeal, greensand, alfalfa meal.

I didn't want to waste that lovely rich loam so I made hilled rows (berms), one in front and two behind my boxed beds.
They are approx 17-18' long and are very suitable for permanent beds of strawberries and now my asparagus. My shortest berm (only 12') houses my new coldframe this year and my Alpine strawberries.

In foreground is my strawberry patch of Quinault and Sequoia (sweeter) strawberries.

It works for me.

cindilou,
I've read that asparagus usually live about 15 years, not forever. You were wise to prepare for a new bed.

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 6/28/2011, 2:00 pm

quiltbea, I have the same in my first 4x4 box. I built it by the old book. So I still call it sfg! I use the grids and the spacing so I don't believe Mel would not call it a sfg. I love the way it grows, I am planning on taking that mix out and adding vermiculite and peat moss to it this fall or next spring. But no way am I getting rid of the soil I spent so much time on getting built up! So I am going to combine the books rofl....

CindiLou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 6/28/2011, 2:26 pm

CindiLou....
The SFG stands for Square Foot Gardening. The forum isn't Mel's Mix Gardening. Whether you use his old methods or his new, its still Square Foot Gardening.

I have Mel's classic videos and when he started he didn't even have raised beds. He just marked off 4 x 4 squares of soil with planks of wood on which he walked so as not to compact the soil in the 4 x 4. He amended as needed.

My soil in my raised beds works for me. Its rich and it grows things nicely with minimal weeds and each year I add dry leaves for the worms overwintering and compost. In the spring its more compost spread an inch or so over the beds. I won't change it. I feel its rich and delicious for crops as it is. In fact, with all its kitchen, garden and worm compost over the years, its original Mel's Mix.

I do switch the tomatoes and peas along the trellises each year though. I try to not follow brassicas (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflowers , etc) with other brassicas and when I finish with a brassica, I chop up the top sections for the compost, but the root is tossed into the trash to prevent club root in the soil.

So if you don't have Mel's Mix but rich soil and continue to add more compost each year, I think its an Original Mel's Mix situation.

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  genes on 6/28/2011, 6:43 pm

@quiltbea wrote:CindiLou....The SFG stands for Square Foot Gardening. The forum isn't Mel's Mix Gardening. Whether you use his old methods or his new, its still Square Foot Gardening.

I have Mel's classic videos and when he started he didn't even have raised beds. He just marked off 4 x 4 squares of soil with planks of wood on which he walked so as not to compact the soil in the 4 x 4. He amended as needed.

My soil in my raised beds works for me.

:nono:

Just like Windows 3.0, the original SFG is so last century. And just like Windows 3.0, the original SFG is no longer supported by the creator.

The originals work. But they have been replaced by products that are far superior. A beginner would be foolish to begin with anything but Mel's Mix.

genes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/28/2011, 7:10 pm

@genes wrote:
@quiltbea wrote:CindiLou....The SFG stands for Square Foot Gardening. The forum isn't Mel's Mix Gardening. Whether you use his old methods or his new, its still Square Foot Gardening.

My soil in my raised beds works for me.

Just like Windows 3.0, the original SFG is so last century. And just like Windows 3.0, the original SFG is no longer supported by the creator.

The originals work. But they have been replaced by products that are far superior. A beginner would be foolish to begin with anything but Mel's Mix.
I am a fool! Wink

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 6/28/2011, 10:06 pm

Sorry genes, but computers and gardens are NOT the same thing so you can't compare them. A good garden improves with time while computers do just the opposite.

I guess I'm another fool but I garden with a big smile on my face.

I certainly think building your beds with Mel's Mix, the current trend, is a good way to go if you can afford it and have the proper components, but I certainly won't be shoveling out my boxes at this point. If it works, why change it?

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou on 6/28/2011, 10:28 pm

..as an IT student and one who has used computers for years, new is NOT necessarily better.

Everyone begins somewhere and I began with the original. Guess it goes with being stubborn and old! If I don't change the bed to MM it is still sfg! MM is a faster way of getting the soil that the original book worked towards. The modifications are awesome yes, I have MM in several beds. However my point is --it is still SFG. Just as Windows 7 may be the newest release but 98 is still Microsoft. You don't through out the computer just change the system. If you understand what I mean.

A beginner begins where they are at the time. So I began with the older book and now use the improved version. This does not make the older version wrong. Just a different work around. My new beds are upgrades. Doesn't mean you have to do that, just that it is faster.

CindiLou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  retired member 2 on 6/28/2011, 10:32 pm

shannon1, I did the row garden for my husband. After putting in my SFG I had a lot of gardening left over and my husband kept talking about a row garden, so I put one in just for him. It has done well except for the flooding last week. I am enjoying taking notes on what grows best where and the maintenance each requires. For the most part, the SFG is winning hands down!

retired member 2

Female Posts : 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma on 6/28/2011, 10:48 pm

I am going to be clear and concise so that there is no trouble with translation or interpretation.

There are 100's of ways to garden.

There are 100's of ways to garden that work.

There are forums all over the internet for all kinds of those ways to garden.

THIS FORUM is dedicated to the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING BOOK and the way that is taught in THAT book. If you garden differenlty than what is taught in the book that is your prerogative.

What we teach and support here is the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING METHOD as taught by Mel in the NEW book.

You can call whatever you want an SFG...but if it does not have Mel's Mix in it and it does not have a raised bed and it does not have a grid it isn't an SFG for the purpose of this forum and that is to teach and support the new system, not the system Mel started with in the 70's.

This discussion has come up 100 times, and the Owner and Administrator's comments and response is the same. There is a mission statement on the Main page, there is a title at the top EVERY page...if the discussion is anything else it belongs in outside the box, under other types of gardening. You can talk about row gardening and other METHODS however it is not and will not be called SFG here.

Jennie
Forum Admin

middlemamma

Female Posts : 2260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:28 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: