Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» newbeone
by newbeone Today at 10:44 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by VJ72584 Today at 10:37 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee Today at 10:21 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:32 am

» Compost
by camprn Today at 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn Today at 8:11 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Today at 4:01 am

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP Today at 2:38 am

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by landarch Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» New England September 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 11:23 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:36 pm

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by llama momma Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:09 pm

» compost thermometer
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:37 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:00 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 9:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 6:07 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma 9/25/2016, 4:04 pm

» mulching
by dstack 9/25/2016, 12:27 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Cajun Cappy 9/25/2016, 11:45 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt 9/25/2016, 9:32 am

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by MrBooker 9/25/2016, 6:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

August for the N&C Midwest..

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: August for the N&C Midwest..

Post  Denese on 8/12/2011, 4:57 pm

Finally have blossoms on my pole beans! Yay! Brussel sprouts are about marble size at the bottom. Basil just keeps on keeping on. My corn is silking now, and the acorn squash has 3 small squash. One is about the size of a baseball. I hadn't seen it, cause it was hiding under a leaf. I have 2 peppers. They're supposed to be jalapeno, but I don't think they are. They're long and slender. Anybody have any ideas what kind are like that? My romas are ripening, and they're still making new tomatoes! Usually when they start to ripen that's it for me. They are so healthy looking. It has to be the Mel's Mix. My cukes are also going nuts. I've already canned some bread and butter pickles, and should have enough soon to be able to can some dill slices. Never tried dill slices before, but I figure it can't be too difficult. Anyone else done them before?

Overall, I'm very pleased with my All New SFG, this year. Very Happy

I've pulled my lettuces and spinach out, as well as the remaining radishes, and the one poor lonely beet. It was delish! I was planning to grow some sugar snaps this fall, but my cukes and pole beans have taken over the trellis, so I guess I'll wait till spring to put more in. My carrot tops are growing like crazy, but I don't think there's anything underground but a skinny little root.

I'm planning to put in some broccoli, cauliflower, rutabagas, kholrabi, mustard greens, mizuna, and maybe a cabbage (never grown a cabbage) for the fall. They'll all be direct seeded. I tried to start my own on my patio table outside, but they got flooded out after our last storm, even though they were under the gazebo. The wind was really blowing. Plus, they were very leggy. Hopefully, the direct seeded ones will germinate. Our temps have dropped to normal (low 80s), finally.

Whew!! Didn't mean to write a book. Laughing That's all for now!!

Denese

Female Posts : 324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick on 8/15/2011, 5:21 pm

Hello all. Sorry I've been missing in action. Like everyone else, it was so darn hot here for so long I pretty much ignored the garden except for "survival" care.

I am definitely going to need some advice on pest control for next year. I've always been a "plant and pray" gardener but this year I lost a lot to pests. So far this year I have had: bean leaf beetles, Mexican Bean Beetles, Japanese Beetles (these are gross!), Cucumber beetles, flea beetles, squash vine borers, squash bugs (just discovered last night that this is what is on my zucchini plants) and last night I found a nice big juicy tomato hornworm on my pepper plant (luckily he was not very bright and missed the 10 tomato plants). I have about had it with pests. I would like to have a good bug or two in the garden! Maybe BBG can send me a few toads to reduce my population. My theory is that since I'm pretty much the only person that gardens in my subdivision, they all come attack me!

That being said, I have managed to harvest a bunch of cherry and Roma tomatoes, a few acorn squash, some cukes, some fabulous carrots, one jalapeno (yep, just one) and some zucchini in the past few weeks. My round zucchini plant succumbed to the dreaded SVB and my potato harvest was pitiful (trying something different next year). We got one small meal out of the corn (it wasn't pretty, but it was yummy!). I will plant fall stuff here in the next couple of weeks. My sweet potato and acorn squash are trying to see who can grow the longest vines and we should have cantaloupe in the next week or so.

All together a fairly good year if I could just get the pests under control. Twisted Evil

Smartchick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy on 8/23/2011, 9:33 pm

here is why we thin seedlings:

i've pulled all of the garlic, onions, and carrots. not a great harvest, but still better than last year and i'm tickled. there will be no floods next year and it will be better!

and finally a monarch has been laying eggs in my yard. these two hatched about 30 minutes before i took this. i'm up to 17 caterpillars and i think there are more eggs to collect! these are the ones that will fly to mexico, so i will bring in every one i can find.

and BBG - i now have a pair of downy woodpeckers! cutest things ever! and the goldfinches are eating like crazy even tho' the purple coneflower has gone to seed.

nancy

Female Posts : 595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom on 8/23/2011, 9:54 pm

I know we don't want all of our carrots to look like that BUT that is one cool lookin carrot. LOL

how do you know about no floods next year? did they put in drainage ditches for your community?

madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 8/23/2011, 10:37 pm

and BBG - i now have a pair of downy woodpeckers! cutest things ever! and the goldfinches are eating like crazy even tho' the purple coneflower has gone to seed.

cheers cheers YAAAAY!! cheers cheers

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy on 8/24/2011, 11:00 am

the power of positive thinking - no more flooding!! i have to believe that or i may not plant there again.

nancy

Female Posts : 595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool on 8/31/2011, 11:58 am

Yesterday I checked on the cantaloupe and when I turned them to see if the underside was still green, they slipped right off the stem. I cannot wait to cut into them today.

HouseofWool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum