Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 2:21 pm

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by sanderson Today at 1:57 pm

» Today's Harvest
by countrynaturals Today at 11:58 am

» Biochar?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:54 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:34 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:31 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:27 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Today at 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Today at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:21 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:42 pm

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:36 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB Yesterday at 5:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:08 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:20 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:03 am

» More Bad News for Bugs
by SQWIB Yesterday at 9:57 am

» What weed? is this? (with pic)
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» Senseless Banter...
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2017, 8:26 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 4:50 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess 10/17/2017, 3:48 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Categories by zone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Categories by zone?

Post  hankyknot on 8/7/2011, 6:58 pm

One thing I have found is that not being in the US and therefore only having my country of residence as the common link to other gardeners is that what we're growing is hugely different depending on when we are in relation to each other.

Is there any way to link threads by usda zone or even create usda zone defined forums? I'd love to know what other people in Zone 5 are growing but at the moment thats not really that easy to do.
hankyknot

Male Posts : 35

View user profile http://poetryinprogress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Categories by zone?

Post  littlesapphire on 8/7/2011, 7:46 pm

That's an interesting question. I know a lot of people have their zones as their location under their avatar. I should probably do that.... but anyway, I'm zone 5 too! And in case you're wondering, I'm growing: Summer squash, zucchini, bush beans, pole beans sugar snap peas, english peas, watermelon, peppers, cucumbers, onions, all sorts of lettuce, carrots, strawberries, and tomatoes! Lol
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese on 8/7/2011, 7:54 pm

+1
Denese

Female Posts : 324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 8/7/2011, 8:05 pm

The zones represent average winter time low temperatures. As veggie gardeners, seldom is that an important number since we garden in the summer.

This example shows why zones don't really work for veggie gardeners:

Shannon1 is the Regional Host of the Coastal South; she lives near Jacksonville, FL, zone 9A. She has great weather for growing toms, peppers, and eggplant, but she fights sci-fi bugs and tropical diseases. It's warm enough there, that growing cool crops can be a challenge.

Furbalsmom is the Regional Host of the Pacific Northwest; she lives on the west coast of Oregon, zone 8B-9A. Typically, FM's summers aren't warm enough to grow tomatoes without a greenhouse or other means of supplemental heat. She typically can grow good harvests of cool crops in spring and fall.

The USDA zones were created with ornamental plants in mind, not vegetable gardening. As far as the geographical regions that the forum is divided into, I don't find them very helpful either. No matter the divisions made, or by whatever standards used, they will be sure to be worthless to many.

If there were to be any changes made, I would lobby for Growing Degree Days. Wink

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 on 8/7/2011, 8:44 pm

To make all that even worse in this state and presumably in most we fellow SFGers find mini zones just a few miles away that make comparisons almost useless. Comparisons in rain, temps, humidity, sun shine and pest populations. Sometimes it seems like every garden is an island unto itself and just over the hill is something quite different. Just when you think you have finally learned when to hold them and when to fold them the weather patterns blow all those thoughts away.

westie42

Male Posts : 512

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 8/7/2011, 9:33 pm

westie42 wrote:To make all that even worse in this state and presumably in most we fellow SFGers find mini zones just a few miles away that make comparisons almost useless. Comparisons in rain, temps, humidity, sun shine and pest populations. Sometimes it seems like every garden is an island unto itself and just over the hill is something quite different. Just when you think you have finally learned when to hold them and when to fold them the weather patterns blow all those thoughts away.

+1! One of my gardening buddies lives just about 20 miles west of me, but because of the slight change in elevation (and in SD I do mean SLIGHT) her frost date in spring is at least 2 weeks later than mine and her fall frost is about 2 weeks earlier. May not seem like much, but it takes a whole month off her growing season!

GG
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool on 8/8/2011, 8:36 am

Goosegirl wrote:One of my gardening buddies lives just about 20 miles west of me, but because of the slight change in elevation (and in SD I do mean SLIGHT) her frost date in spring is at least 2 weeks later than mine and her fall frost is about 2 weeks earlier. May not seem like much, but it takes a whole month off her growing season!

GG

Being in the Dakotas, I would assume that ANY elevation change is slight.... Laughing

HouseofWool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 on 8/8/2011, 9:08 am

There is a place called Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse that is well mountainous. Otherwise you are correct however no reason to get to N. Dak. has ever arisen as close as it is.

westie42

Male Posts : 512

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hankyknot on 8/8/2011, 9:51 am

There are exceptions to any rule and maybe with the states being broken down on these forums as much as they are its less of an issue but for the rest of us, especially up here having just the single country category is almost useless.
hankyknot

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/8/2011, 10:13 am

Well, I am also in zone 5a and only 3 hours from the Canadian border, I would guess that we have similar growing seasons, so we have more in common than not, in regards to the garden. I believe the set up of regions are more beneficial to the forum set up than to gardening. In any case, pop into the New England forum any time. What a Face

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 8/8/2011, 10:26 am

HouseofWool wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:One of my gardening buddies lives just about 20 miles west of me, but because of the slight change in elevation (and in SD I do mean SLIGHT) her frost date in spring is at least 2 weeks later than mine and her fall frost is about 2 weeks earlier. May not seem like much, but it takes a whole month off her growing season!

GG

Being in the Dakotas, I would assume that ANY elevation change is slight.... Laughing

I love this comment. lol! You just fired a brilliant salvo at residents of about 6 states.....anyone in the plains can relate. Awesome.

As for OP, I'm glad Camp chimed in. I was thinking of her and New England being a great region for a person in New Brunswick or even Newfoundland to follow. However, you may also follow the Pacific Northwest. From everything I've heard, the climates are mild and can be similar.

There is no rule stating you must live in the region you follow or post in. Often we suggest following multiple regions. Honestly, my home is the N&C Midwest, obviously, but I follow things going on in the Upper South, Middle South, and even the Mid-Atlantic because others in my region have climates that can run very close to those regions, too.

There is likely no cut and dry solution. However, the fact that you brought it up might mean we can think about "a better way." Winter is always a good time to visit such discussions because we just don't have much else going on with three feet of snow on the ground. Thank you for your suggestion.
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hankyknot on 8/8/2011, 12:04 pm

Thanks BBG, I wasn't thinking there were any hard and fast rules about who can post where just that it would be easier to relate in terms of zones than geography, especially as finding a zonal map that covers both the US and Canada is a lot harder than you would expect. Add to that my US geography knowledge sucks and the fact I don't know my New England from my New Jersey and you can see my dilemma.
hankyknot

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 8/8/2011, 12:06 pm

Hi Handyknot - Good, then I don't feel so bad about having to look up the Canadian provinces again...and I'm still not sure I could answer a pop quiz on them! Smile

Here is a thread with a map of the regions which might help - Smile
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t872-what-is-a-region-for-with-map
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 8/8/2011, 2:29 pm

HouseofWool wrote:

GG

On this side of the state? You ain't kiddin'! BUT, on the Black Hills side there are some gorgeous mountains - hiked Harney Peak a few years back, 7242 elev. - beautiful view!
Goosegirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 8/8/2011, 5:52 pm

hankyknot wrote:Add to that my US geography knowledge sucks and the fact I don't know my New England from my New Jersey...

Why would it? You are Canadian...lol. I would bet you a decent sum that your US knowledge whoops my Canadian knowledge for the same reason. In fact, we could have the first ever "stoopid off" and really impress the masses. Wink

GG, it's funny. Being from Kansas, I used to hear a lot of the same comments when I moved to Missouri....only they weren't kidding around. I had to over-explain that the eastern third of Kansas has plenty of rolling hills. It's once you get to Salina or Wichita that things go flat. And, I would explain that eastern Colorado is just as flat as any part of Kansas. But, no doubt, all those states have their very, very flat stretches of land. So flat they are hard states to drive through at times.
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 8/8/2011, 8:30 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
GG, it's funny. Being from Kansas, I used to hear a lot of the same comments when I moved to Missouri....only they weren't kidding around. I had to over-explain that the eastern third of Kansas has plenty of rolling hills. It's once you get to Salina or Wichita that things go flat. And, I would explain that eastern Colorado is just as flat as any part of Kansas. But, no doubt, all those states have their very, very flat stretches of land. So flat they are hard states to drive through at times.

I grew up in CA, in one of the smaller mountain ranges, but still mountains - but anyone who has driven down I-5 in the Central Valley would know that California can be FLAT!

GG
Goosegirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 8/8/2011, 8:58 pm

Goosegirl wrote:I grew up in CA, in one of the smaller mountain ranges, but still mountains - but anyone who has driven down I-5 in the Central Valley would know that California can be FLAT!GG

And so hot that it can't be more than 20 miles north of Hades!
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 8/8/2011, 9:19 pm

boffer wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:I grew up in CA, in one of the smaller mountain ranges, but still mountains - but anyone who has driven down I-5 in the Central Valley would know that California can be FLAT!GG

And so hot that it can't be more than 20 miles north of Hades!

You must have been my next door neighbor! (and it's only 10 miles north...)

GG
Goosegirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum