Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 4:05 pm

by Scherml Today at 3:37 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 1:19 pm

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 12:43 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Today at 12:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 12:05 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 11:52 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:32 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:40 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:38 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:16 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are my homemade worm castings "blended"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are my homemade worm castings "blended"?

Post  SoCalET on 8/10/2011, 5:03 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, the compost that should be added upon planting should either be a blended compost from five sources, or your homemade compost. I don't have a regular compost heap, but plant to start one. However, I have been vermicomposting for a few months. So, I have a decent amount of vermicompost that my little squigglers have produced.

My question is: is my homemade vermicompost adequate on its own, or does it need to be blended with four other store bought composts?

TIA

SoCalET

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Are my homemade worm castings "blended"?

Post  Goosegirl on 8/10/2011, 9:52 pm

@SoCalET wrote:
My question is: is my homemade vermicompost adequate on its own, or does it need to be blended with four other store bought composts?

TIA

Worm poo is about the best compost you can get! If you already have your MM in your boxes and are just adding the extra between crops, your worm castings should be just fine.

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 8/10/2011, 10:25 pm

@SoCalET wrote:My question is: is my homemade vermicompost adequate on its own, or does it need to be blended with four other store bought composts?TIA

From everything I've read, worm poo is great stuff. I will suggest that no one has done the comparison testing to see if worm poo alone is comparable to a 5 way compost blend that Mel says to use to re-plentish a square after a harvest.

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual on 8/11/2011, 1:58 am

My $0.02 about worm castings and blended compost: It should depend on what the worms were fed. If you have the worms and feed it table scraps then I'd think it would be considered blended IF you don't just feed it broccoli stems. If you feed it bread, broccoli/cauliflower stems, leftover carrots, onion/potato peelings, bean/pea pods and a few other things, then(in my opinion) it's blended.

If you're buying castings from the store, then I'd treat it as not blended since you don't know what the worms were fed. Just like regular compost, if all you're composting is cow manure, then it's not blended. But if you throw in cow manure, chicken manure, straw, kitchen scraps, spent plants and grass clippings then it's mixed. It's the source of the compost that is important, not the end product.

This is why Mel tells us to buy at least 5 different kinds of compost: bagged compost is generally the waste product of a single industry and therefor only contains certain plant nutrients(buying 5 different brands of composted cow manure doesn't count either).

But I will tell you this, when my worms finally produce some castings, I'll still be mixing it with bagged compost from the store(plants need desert too!) and compost from the back yard. I might even just throw it all together after I make a 3-boxed compost bin and let it really blend together well.

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SoCalET on 8/11/2011, 12:14 pm

Thank for the feedback. My squigglers certainly get a diversified mix of feeding. I guess as diversified a mix as what comes out of my kitchen. This includes stems and leaves of broc/cauli, ends of cukes and zukes, egg shells and coffee grounds (usually together as my breakfast scraps). I try to give them a healthy amount of fruit scraps (which they seem to enjoy) including banana peels, papaya shells (but not the seeds), grape stems, and of course melon rinds (their absolute favorite). They also get plenty of shredded newspaper and egg cartons for bedding. And when a potted plant dies on me, I give them a scoop or so of the soil.

They get minimal citrus, although after cutting a whole pineapple, it pains me to throw all of the scraps away, so they get some of it. I don't give them lemon/lime rinds. Minimal onion and garlic scraps, they just don't seem to care for it. Also, I learned, no peanut shells. Especially salted, the sodium, even if rinsed isn't good for them. But also, they don't break the peanut shells down. Shells from three months ago are still sitting in the bottom tray, completely whole. They will break an avocado pit down faster than a single peanut shell.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I guess I'm comfortable with assuming that my worms are producing diversified poop. So, I'm going to go with it as my compost for replanting.

SoCalET

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 8/11/2011, 12:24 pm

I consider worm castings wonderful compost.

I usually use mine as a booster around the plants since I have compost from my bins for the normal additions to the soil square when planting.

It doesn't burn, has no chemicals, and is very diversified so you can't go wrong with it to add in the holes when planting.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:10 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum