Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» to solarize, or not...I'm torn
by dstack Today at 5:41 pm

» Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold
by trolleydriver Today at 5:40 pm

» Pallet Wacking
by TNGeezer Today at 5:40 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by TNGeezer Today at 5:28 pm

» Bryan Greenbeard of Minnesota's 2017 Plans
by Greenbeard Today at 5:09 pm

» First of the Season
by newbeone Today at 4:49 pm

» N & C Midwest: April 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 3:44 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in April 2017?
by trolleydriver Today at 3:37 pm

» cucumber beetles
by RC3291 Today at 3:20 pm

» 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by Turan Today at 1:22 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Today at 12:56 pm

» EWWWWW.........bugs and stuff...good or not so good?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:13 am

» An excellent read for those with Diabetes
by CapeCoddess Today at 6:44 am

» Geezer's 17
by Turan Today at 12:22 am

» Has anyone tried 13 per square?
by Turan Today at 12:04 am

» Get Moving!
by StrongAsMeat Yesterday at 10:20 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by StrongAsMeat Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Butterflies
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Reading Material?
by TNGeezer Yesterday at 3:56 pm

» Hello from Chino, CA (Zone 10a)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:00 pm

» Podding Radishes, Anyone?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:48 pm

» who has chickens
by RC3291 Yesterday at 2:00 pm

» April Avatar: Show Yourself!
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Please comment on the plant layout for 2017
by greenthumbtobe Yesterday at 12:26 pm

» Healthy Meals
by RoOsTeR Yesterday at 11:21 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:12 am

» Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:44 am

» New England April 2017
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 9:27 am

» Potato Harvest 2017
by RC3291 Yesterday at 9:03 am

» What's in the bottom of your raised bed?
by RC3291 Yesterday at 8:57 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fruit pits?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fruit pits?

Post  littlesapphire on 8/17/2011, 9:26 am

I'm relatively new to composting, and I've been wondering for a while; can I compost fruit pits? Like peach, mango, avocado stones? It seems like they'd be too big and hard to properly compost, so I thought I'd better ask! Especially since I'm making peach jam today and will have plenty of pits left over Very Happy
avatar
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826
Join date : 2010-04-08
Age : 32
Location : Jamestown, NY (Zone 5a)

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Fruit pits?

Post  camprn on 8/17/2011, 10:23 am

@littlesapphire wrote:I'm relatively new to composting, and I've been wondering for a while; can I compost fruit pits? Like peach, mango, avocado stones? It seems like they'd be too big and hard to properly compost, so I thought I'd better ask! Especially since I'm making peach jam today and will have plenty of pits left over Very Happy
I throw them into the compost, they take a while but they will break down. Wink

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14101
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Fruit pits?

Post  AZDYJ2K on 8/17/2011, 1:16 pm

@camprn wrote: I throw them into the compost, they take a while but they will break down. Wink

I've always removed them thinking that they would take forever to break down. Now I'll leave them in and save me the time and mess of removing them. Thanks.
avatar
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169
Join date : 2010-05-28
Location : Chandler, AZ USDA Zone 9A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fruit pits?

Post  Goosegirl on 8/17/2011, 8:57 pm

@AZDYJ2K wrote:
@camprn wrote: I throw them into the compost, they take a while but they will break down. Wink

I've always removed them thinking that they would take forever to break down. Now I'll leave them in and save me the time and mess of removing them. Thanks.

I threw a bunch of apricot pits in my compost pile last year. Now I have 3 separate bunches of apricot sprouts! I am going to dig up one of the bunches and give them to a friend who has one tree but wants another. She can divide them up as she sees fit (her MIL is the one who gave ME the apricots!)

GG
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3409
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 52
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fruit pits?

Post  littlesapphire on 8/17/2011, 9:41 pm

HA, cool! I wouldn't mind having a peach tree in my yard Smile
avatar
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826
Join date : 2010-04-08
Age : 32
Location : Jamestown, NY (Zone 5a)

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Fruit pits?

Post  unmadecastle on 8/17/2011, 9:43 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:I'm relatively new to composting, and I've been wondering for a while; can I compost fruit pits? Like peach, mango, avocado stones? It seems like they'd be too big and hard to properly compost, so I thought I'd better ask! Especially since I'm making peach jam today and will have plenty of pits left over Very Happy



Littlesapphire can I ask what is the recipe you use for peach jam. I love peach jam but have never made it and would like to.
avatar
unmadecastle

Posts : 85
Join date : 2011-04-09
Age : 48
Location : North East South Dakota, Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fruit pits?

Post  littlesapphire on 8/18/2011, 7:46 am

Hey Unmadecastle! I just use the recipe that comes in the box of sure-jell. It goes something like this:

3 pounds of peaches (4 cups finely chopped)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
5-1/2 cup sugar
1 box sure-jell

Put the peaches, lemon juice and sure-jell in a large pot. Bring to full rolling boil. Quickly add the sugar. Return to a full rolling boil; boil exactly 1 minute. Ladle into hot jars, add two piece caps, and boil in boiling water canner for 10 minutes (add more time if you're in a higher altitude). Makes 7 half pint jars.

It's so amazingly good! Definitely the best jam I've ever made.
avatar
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826
Join date : 2010-04-08
Age : 32
Location : Jamestown, NY (Zone 5a)

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Fruit pits?

Post  unmadecastle on 8/18/2011, 9:14 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:Hey Unmadecastle! I just use the recipe that comes in the box of sure-jell. It goes something like this:

3 pounds of peaches (4 cups finely chopped)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
5-1/2 cup sugar
1 box sure-jell

Put the peaches, lemon juice and sure-jell in a large pot. Bring to full rolling boil. Quickly add the sugar. Return to a full rolling boil; boil exactly 1 minute. Ladle into hot jars, add two piece caps, and boil in boiling water canner for 10 minutes (add more time if you're in a higher altitude). Makes 7 half pint jars.

It's so amazingly good! Definitely the best jam I've ever made.



Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to make it.
avatar
unmadecastle

Posts : 85
Join date : 2011-04-09
Age : 48
Location : North East South Dakota, Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fruit pits?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum