Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by jimmy cee Today at 12:05 am

» Our Raised Garden Beds
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Jimmys new SFG beds in development.
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» anyone use fulvic acid before?
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» hantavirus
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by Turan Yesterday at 7:31 pm

» New England April 2018
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» Hello From Vermont
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 6:09 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:08 pm

» Salvia
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:01 pm

» Bird's Eye View of Your Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:55 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:41 am

» 2nd year SFG in ND
by Robbomb116 4/18/2018, 11:29 am

» Bird baths with solar powered pump
by sanderson 4/18/2018, 4:43 am

» Best drip system and timer?
by sanderson 4/18/2018, 4:02 am

» Hi from Buffalo
by sanderson 4/18/2018, 3:51 am

» Vermiculite on the out in Ontario?
by trolleydriver 4/17/2018, 11:37 pm

» N&C Midwest - April 2018–Snuck up on me!
by Scorpio Rising 4/17/2018, 7:27 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018?
by Kelejan 4/17/2018, 3:57 pm

» Adding Soil to Mel's Mix
by trolleydriver 4/17/2018, 8:38 am

» Hello from Kentucky!
by AtlantaMarie 4/17/2018, 7:31 am

» Hello from Linn County Oregon!
by AtlantaMarie 4/17/2018, 7:25 am

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by sanderson 4/17/2018, 2:22 am

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by jimmy cee 4/16/2018, 11:03 pm

» Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California
by trolleydriver 4/16/2018, 8:40 am

» Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?
by sanderson 4/15/2018, 1:31 pm

» Fungus Among us?
by Kelejan 4/14/2018, 11:19 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by CapeCoddess 4/14/2018, 6:57 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by trolleydriver 4/14/2018, 5:29 pm

» Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone?
by sanderson 4/14/2018, 3:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  llama momma on 8/7/2017, 11:55 am

From a nutrition standpoint, I thought sea salt had more natural varieties of minerals than processed table salt.  So I've been using sea salt that's very inexpensive at the dollar store.
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4863
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/7/2017, 5:20 pm

@llama momma wrote:From a nutrition standpoint, I thought sea salt had more natural varieties of minerals than processed table salt.  So I've been using sea salt that's very inexpensive at the dollar store.

Maybe? To that point, I've always heard table salt was one of the few sources of iodine in our diet. All said, I don't think it makes a hoot of difference in making kraut.

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  Turan on 8/7/2017, 10:44 pm

I ended up using Redmond salt because a friend recommends it and because it is in our local grocery store as a fine grind.

Here is the recipe source I used. Because the recipe is for one quart jar amounts and the amount of salt to cabbage/ vegys (16g salt : 800g cabbage/vegys) was clear it felt easy. So naturally I made 3 variations, a Kimchee type, a carrot and ginger with cabbage, and a carrot and garlic with cabbage. I put basket type coffee filters over the shredded cabbage and then a sake cup in sandwhich baggy of salt water to hold it all down. ANd then the canning lid on loosely. Is the canning lid ring going to make trouble with its being metal, it is outside the jar and liquid hitting it is not returning inside. Now to see what happens. https://www.makesauerkraut.com/sure-fire-sauerkraut-in-a-jar/

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2400
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/9/2017, 1:07 pm

Thanks for the link, Turan. I read through it and then proceeded to make my batch of kraut incorporating some of those ideas. The little jelly jar fits perfectly and holds the cabbage way down. I love that idea! And she's so right - the fresher the cabbage the easier it is to get the juice out. I've had older cabbages where I've pounded and pounded and pounded to get the juice out. Never again.

With the leftover cabbage I made a carrot slaw since I'm carrot heavy this year in sfg. Never thought I'd hear myself say that. I also added apples and raisins to the slaw.


avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6586
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 62
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  Turan on 8/14/2017, 7:42 pm

It worked and it is tasty!  I like the ginger carrot sauerkraut best, the garlic carrot sauerkraut is good mixed in rice or other stuff.  The kimchee is for DH, I hope he likes it.





Thanks for all the encouragement!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2400
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  CitizenKate on 8/14/2017, 9:53 pm

@Turan wrote:It worked and it is tasty!  I like the ginger carrot sauerkraut best, the garlic carrot sauerkraut is good mixed in rice or other stuff.  The kimchee is for DH, I hope he likes it.
It certainly looks good. How long did you let yours ferment?
avatar
CitizenKate

Posts : 782
Join date : 2015-03-20
Location : Northeast KS, USA; Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  Turan on 8/14/2017, 10:15 pm

Just one week. I gather that kimchee is traditionally fermented at lower temperatures, and that all these will continue to ferment in the fridge. I like the barely fermented (24 hours) stuff enough I am thinking of doing that for the rest of the cabbages and freeze it. I think it will be tasty to thaw and throw in soups this winter, or let continue to ferment. I wonder if one can do an interrupted ferment or if like with a compost pile one needs to add some fresh ingredients to get it moving again.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2400
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/15/2017, 10:43 am

I'll be trying the ginger carrot sauerkraut.  It sounds wonderful!  Wonder if we can ferment thin slices of ginger alone, using this same method...? Was your ginger raw or cooked first? If raw, is it soft now?

@Turan wrote:I like the barely fermented (24 hours) stuff enough I am thinking of doing that for the rest of the cabbages and freeze it.  I think it will be tasty to thaw and throw in soups this winter, or let continue to ferment.  I wonder if one can do an interrupted ferment or if like with a compost pile one needs to add some fresh ingredients to get it moving again.

That would be a very interesting experiment.  If you do it, please let us know how it turns out?  Could open a whole new window.
What a Face
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6586
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 62
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  Turan on 8/15/2017, 3:27 pm

CC, I was out of fresh ginger, so I used minced ginger from a jar.
I'll report back if I do any experiments.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2400
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  No_Such_Reality on 8/15/2017, 4:41 pm

Day 1 of a simple fermented carrot sticks.  Real basic recipe,  carrots, brine, and split  jalapeno for kick.  In a quart jar.  Set it up last night, burped it this morning, got bubbles forming and getting a little cloudy.

Used store bought carrots which I scrubbed with soap and water, peeled and set aside.  Picked a single carrot that was a straggler that was hanging on underneath the San Marzano Tom (which are a massive disappointment), brushed that clean with filter water no soap, cut up and left skin on.  Stuffed them all in the jar, put a jam jar on top (a little over full) and sealed it up.  Daily burping to commence.

Next time, single layer so I have more room and any one have a pointer on getting the 4oz jelly far with plastic lid back out of the wide mouth quart jar without dumping everything?

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 571
Join date : 2011-04-22
Location : Orange County, CA aka Disneyland or Sunset zone 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/15/2017, 4:48 pm

@No_Such_Reality wrote:
Next time, single layer so I have more room and any one have a pointer on getting the 4oz jelly far with plastic lid back out of the wide mouth quart jar without dumping everything?

Nobody told me to put the lid on the jelly jar. Shocked Guess I'm glad I missed that memo. I have no idea how to get it out. I would dump it. Rolling Eyes

avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6586
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 62
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  No_Such_Reality on 8/15/2017, 4:51 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@No_Such_Reality wrote:
Next time, single layer so I have more room and any one have a pointer on getting the 4oz jelly far with plastic lid back out of the wide mouth quart jar without dumping everything?

Nobody told me to put the lid on the jelly jar.  Shocked   Guess I'm glad I missed that memo.  I have no idea how to get it out.  I would dump it.  Rolling Eyes

Yea it's filled with brine so if it leaks, it doesn't matter.   I figure come time, I'll dump the brine ferment into another sterilized jar, the jelly our and pour the brine ferment back in.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 571
Join date : 2011-04-22
Location : Orange County, CA aka Disneyland or Sunset zone 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  Turan on 8/15/2017, 11:43 pm

I did not put a lid on the jelly jar, but I filled it with some brine I made up. It was easy to pick it up out of the fermenting jar.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2400
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  No_Such_Reality on 8/16/2017, 10:43 am

Wish I would have videoed it this morning when I burped my jar.   It fizzed like a popping the top on a soda bottle.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 571
Join date : 2011-04-22
Location : Orange County, CA aka Disneyland or Sunset zone 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 11:03 am

@CapeCoddess wrote:I'll be trying the ginger carrot sauerkraut.  It sounds wonderful!  Wonder if we can ferment thin slices of ginger alone, using this same method...?  Was your ginger raw or cooked first?  If raw, is it soft now?

@Turan wrote:I like the barely fermented (24 hours) stuff enough I am thinking of doing that for the rest of the cabbages and freeze it.  I think it will be tasty to thaw and throw in soups this winter, or let continue to ferment.  I wonder if one can do an interrupted ferment or if like with a compost pile one needs to add some fresh ingredients to get it moving again.

That would be a very interesting experiment.  If you do it, please let us know how it turns out?  Could open a whole new window.
What a Face

I've never fermented ginger myself, but apparently it's a thing.

http://thefermentedfoody.com/how-do-you-ferment-ginger/

Many results out there with a google

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/16/2017, 1:52 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:Wonder if we can ferment thin slices of ginger alone, using this same method...?  

I've never fermented ginger myself, but apparently it's a thing.

http://thefermentedfoody.com/how-do-you-ferment-ginger/

Many results out there with a google

Fabulous link, Rooster...and answered my question perfectly.   Thank you!
I'm going to do this as soon as I get home for lunch today!!!  I would not julienne the ginger, preferring to slice it lengthwise with a veggie peeler or such.  Wonder if it will turn pink like in Chinese restaurants? I love that stuff!

avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6586
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 62
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 3:30 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@RoOsTeR wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:Wonder if we can ferment thin slices of ginger alone, using this same method...?  

I've never fermented ginger myself, but apparently it's a thing.

http://thefermentedfoody.com/how-do-you-ferment-ginger/

Many results out there with a google

Fabulous link, Rooster...and answered my question perfectly.   Thank you!
I'm going to do this as soon as I get home for lunch today!!!  I would not julienne the ginger, preferring to slice it lengthwise with a veggie peeler or such.  Wonder if it will turn pink like in Chinese restaurants?  I love that stuff!


Ha. Me too. It's delicious! Especially with a bit of wasabi!
I've had a few real ginger 'ales'. You know, the beer type. Some are pretty yummy. I've looked at brewing with some ginger here and there, but never taken the plunge. It has the potential to go really south affraid
I am curious now though about the fermented possibilities Like a Star @ heaven

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/16/2017, 3:41 pm

I did it!  I used a mandolin for the first time and cut off a pc of my thumb.  But we won't be able to tell which slice it is in the final product, methinks. Razz  Mums the word.

WARNING to those using a mandolin:   USE THE TOOL FOR SLICING  - NOT YOUR BARE FINGERS!  or better yet, use a food processor.

I only did a small amount of organic ginger, medium sized hand, and since I didn't have a recipe I only used 1/4 t. sea salt for about 1 cup of ginger in a 16oz jar.  Stuck a snack baggie of water in the top to hold the ginger down, and put a lid on the jar.



Last edited by CapeCoddess on 8/16/2017, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6586
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 62
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 3:44 pm

Tastes like chicken Shocked

Keep us posted! I'm definitely interested.

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/16/2017, 3:55 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:
@RoOsTeR wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:Wonder if we can ferment thin slices of ginger alone, using this same method...?  

I've never fermented ginger myself, but apparently it's a thing.

http://thefermentedfoody.com/how-do-you-ferment-ginger/

Many results out there with a google

Fabulous link, Rooster...and answered my question perfectly.   Thank you!
I'm going to do this as soon as I get home for lunch today!!!  I would not julienne the ginger, preferring to slice it lengthwise with a veggie peeler or such.  Wonder if it will turn pink like in Chinese restaurants?  I love that stuff!


Ha. Me too. It's delicious! Especially with a bit of wasabi!
I've had a few real ginger 'ales'. You know, the beer type. Some are pretty yummy. I've looked at brewing with some ginger here and there, but never taken the plunge. It has the potential to go really south affraid
I am curious now though about the fermented possibilities Like a Star @ heaven

Me too! Now I want to ferment everything! Maybe you would make us a 'Ferment Your Veggies' thread and move these ginger posts to it please? That way anyone who's fermented anything could post in it and we'll learn more.
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6586
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 62
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you know about making sauerkraut?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum