Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Live and learn
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:01 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by bigdogrock Today at 5:55 pm

» New England, December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:52 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 2:42 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:08 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 2:04 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 2:01 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Portsmouth, UK

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Portsmouth, UK

Post  mortimer657 on 10/7/2011, 7:10 am

Hi all,

I've been lurking around the forums here for a few weeks now and think its high time i introduced myself.
Im from the south of England, the coastal city of Portsmouth, im 30, married with three amazing kids, 2 girls and a boy. I have recently left the British military having served a shade over 14 years with the 1st Battalion, Princess Of Wales Royal Regiment. I left at the rank of Sgt Major on a high note following a hugely successful 10 month deployment to Afghanistans Helmand Province. Finding the pace of life as a civillian a little slow, but enjoyable, and lets face it, a lot safer (so long as i dont get under the wifes feet too much Very Happy). I now work as a self employed Strength & Conditioning Coach and Applied nutrition consultant. I provide training programmes as well as sports specific nutrition and face to face or in house training to a wide range of elite level (and amateur too, im not elitist haha) athletes/sportsmen and women ranging from boxers and long distance runners to Rugby and soccer teams.

My great loves in life however, aside from my family, are growing my own fresh fruit and vegetable produce and shooting my own supply of meat. I was first introduced to the concept of Square Foot Gardening by my father who has used it very successfully, he is a solid supporter of SFG and i've come to realise why very quickly. I'm still using raised beds in the conventional manner currently but will most definitely be using the sfg method come next year/spring. Looking forward to learning from you all over the coming months so that i get off to the best possible start in Spring.

Thats me in a rather muscular nutshell, sorry for the long winded introduction.

Regards

Morti

mortimer657

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Portsmouth, UK

Post  Kelejan on 10/7/2011, 9:11 am

Welcome Morti, from an English born and bred Canadian.

My brother was stationed in Portsmouth (many, many years ago) when he was in the Royal Navy. He started life in HMS Ganges amd ended up in Gibralta.

You certainly have a different lifestyle than most of us here, and it is good that your dad has you to take up SFGing.

A wise man not to get under the feet of your wife. Makes for a happy partnership.Very Happy

May I suggest that you get your MM ready now so as not to waste time in the spring? It will give you a flying start.

Look forward to seeing your progress and please don't forget the pictures.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4488

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  mortimer657 on 10/9/2011, 2:33 pm

Hi Kelejan and many thanks for the warm welcome.

I must say i am ever so slightly envious, Jealous in fact, that you're lucky enough to live in Canada. Have visited Canada on a fair few occasions whilst serving with the Army and absolutely fell in love with the place. It kind of makes Britain feel like a spec on the earths surface, such a huge country that it is.

I will indeed have my MM ready to go, thanks for the nugget of wisdom. It makes sense actually, should let me get straight down to business come Spring. The beds are built and in place already...i have 6 beds ready to go..a little unconventional a they are 4 foot width by 6 foot length. This will be a totally new experience for me as im used to conventional fruit and vegetable gardening. Have a busy autumn and winter of shooting planned so should have a good chest freezer full of venison, rabbit and woodpigeon to accompany all that fresh fruit and vegetable produce.

Many many thanks for a warm welcome ..and rest assured, i will ensure a steady flow of pictures to show how i am getting on.

Regards

Morti

mortimer657

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 10/10/2011, 6:46 am

glad you\'re here Welcome Morti! flower
I must be unconventional as well - 3 of my SFG boxes are 4 x 6. We do what works for us! We look forward to seeing pics of the set-up and the garden. Don't wait for things to be growing for pics to share - we love seeing pics from the very beginning!
GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual on 10/12/2011, 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forums from a Brit living in the US! My father's family is from Poole, not too far away from you(still have family living in Bournemouth). Good luck with your SFGs come spring.

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 10/12/2011, 3:43 pm

@mortimer657 wrote:Hi Kelejan and many thanks for the warm welcome.

I must say i am ever so slightly envious, Jealous in fact, that you're lucky enough to live in Canada. Have visited Canada on a fair few occasions whilst serving with the Army and absolutely fell in love with the place. It kind of makes Britain feel like a spec on the earths surface, such a huge country that it is.
Regards
Morti

What part of Canada did you visit, Morti? I live in the mountainous BC Interior and all around me are lakes and mountains and forests. I love it here. Unfortunately for gardening, I am located on the north side of a mountain so do not get much sunshine except during the summer. If my house was located a few hundred yards away, I would not have been able to afford to buy it. But it is very nice in the hot summer as I do not need air conditioning.

I spent a couple of years in Poole while my husband was working as a consultant for Poole Water Authority (or something like that). My sister-in-law still lives in Bournemouth.

I do know that you must have very mild weather in Portsmouth so you will have a long growing season. That is where I am a little envious of you.Very Happy

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4488

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 10/13/2011, 8:55 am

Hey Morti! I learned of SFG from my grandfather. It's great to add another member from across the pond.

Search around the forum, brush up on the littler things, and I'm sure you'll be ready to go in the spring. Hope to see you around this winter.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mortimer657 on 10/14/2011, 8:01 am

@Kelejan wrote:
@mortimer657 wrote:Hi Kelejan and many thanks for the warm welcome.

Regards
Morti

What part of Canada did you visit, Morti? I live in the mountainous BC Interior and all around me are lakes and mountains and forests. I love it here. Unfortunately for gardening, I am located on the north side of a mountain so do not get much sunshine except during the summer. If my house was located a few hundred yards away, I would not have been able to afford to buy it. But it is very nice in the hot summer as I do not need air conditioning.

I spent a couple of years in Poole while my husband was working as a consultant for Poole Water Authority (or something like that). My sister-in-law still lives in Bournemouth.

I do know that you must have very mild weather in Portsmouth so you will have a long growing season. That is where I am a little envious of you.Very Happy

So far i've had the pleasure of visiting Alberta (the plains with BATUS British Army Training Unit Suffield), Quebec and Saskatchewan. Its an amazing country i must say and training exercises on the Alberta plains especially made me realise just how vast Canada is. Gorgeous country and the people really make you feel welcome.
I know poole well, i have family there myself.

Morti

mortimer657

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mortimer657 on 10/14/2011, 8:06 am

Many many thanks all for the warm welcome i've been given. While im certainly not a biased man, i must say an extra special thanks to those from Canada and the United States. I have had the great pleasure of visiting both countries on various occasions and just as importantly have had the honour of working alongside the servicemen/women of both nations in Afghanistan and i can't speak highly enough of both Canada and the United States.

Once again thank you all very much. I feel like im part of the furniture already Very Happy

Morti

mortimer657

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 10/17/2011, 1:04 pm

Thank you for serving with our folks. It is much appreciated on this side of the pond.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:27 pm