Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 4:32 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:16 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 4:08 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan 12/7/2016, 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rebar/conduit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/12/2011, 6:56 pm

Waaaah! Sometimes things don't go right.
Bought some 1/2" rebar a while ago and had it cut into pieces. At the same time I bought some 3/4" conduit, to make a hoop house.
Just been out and tried to put the conduit on the rebar that I had hammered into the ground now that we have had rain and the ground is softened, and found the it does not go over the rebar.
Back to the drawing board.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  boffer on 10/12/2011, 7:09 pm

Well...somthing's weird! My ½ inch rebar fits inside ½ inch PVC and EMT conduit; I just tried it.

Any chance one of your pieces is metric?

boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 63
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  sherryeo on 10/12/2011, 9:42 pm

My hubby and I recently added 3 new sfg beds. We used Mel's method of building a trellis with rebar and electrical conduit (both 1/2 inch). After hammering the rebar into the soil, we found that the tops of some of the rebar was flattened out a little from the hammering and the conduit wouldn't fit over it. We hammered the uneven rebar edges back a bit and it worked ok then.

But it seems strange if you got 3/4 conduit for it not to fit over 1/2 inch rebar. We did notice that the conduit was somewhat mixed up in the bins - any chance the conduit you got was just in the wrong bin and it's actually 1/2 inch?

sherryeo

Female Posts : 850
Join date : 2011-04-03
Age : 64
Location : Mississippi Gulf Coast Zone 8B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  genes on 10/12/2011, 10:24 pm

@sherryeo wrote: After hammering the rebar into the soil, we found that the tops of some of the rebar was flattened out a little from the hammering and the conduit wouldn't fit over it....
good idea but it should fit in to 3/4s

genes

Posts : 180
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/12/2011, 11:03 pm

I have now measured the condiut and as far as I can make out the 3/4" conduit outside diameter is `1 7/8" and the inside diameter is 1 5/8" meaning that the conduit is 1/4" thick, and the conduit has 3/4" printed all along the piping.



The rebar is definitely 1/2" but it has those ridges so that it is not smooth.



I must get it sorted quickly as our weather forecast is - 2c this Friday night.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  boffer on 10/13/2011, 12:31 am

@Kelejan wrote:...outside diameter is `1 7/8" and the inside diameter is 1 5/8" meaning that the conduit is 1/4" thick, and the conduit has 3/4" printed all along the piping....
1 7/8" od is about the size of your wrist.

your od and id means that the conduit wall is 1/8" thick.

didn't you say recently that you got a camera?

boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 63
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/13/2011, 10:28 am

@boffer wrote:
@Kelejan wrote:...outside diameter is `1 7/8" and the inside diameter is 1 5/8" meaning that the conduit is 1/4" thick, and the conduit has 3/4" printed all along the piping....
1 7/8" od is about the size of your wrist.

your od and id means that the conduit wall is 1/8" thick.

didn't you say recently that you got a camera?



I meant to type 7/8" and 3/4". I don't know what I was thinking of when I added that 1 in front. Embarassed

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  janezee on 10/13/2011, 10:46 am

Hi, kelejan,
There's something not adding up here, even with the new measurements.
Are you saying that you can't get a 3/4" pipe to fit over a 1/2" bar if you're going at it straight on? or that you're not able to bend it and get it on the other side? Perhaps you could replant the rebar at a slight angle to make it easier to get it on?
Or am I missing the problem altogether?
On the other hand, I'm grateful to find out that the galvanized conduit I have for my trellises next year will fit over the rebar I had originally bought for my bird feeder. Much easier than pounding 10 foot tall pipe into rocky soil!

janezee

Female Posts : 242
Join date : 2011-09-21
Age : 109
Location : Away

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/13/2011, 11:40 am

janezee, what I am saying is that I just cannot get the pipe over the rebar.

It is the inside of the pipe that is less than 3/4" according to my tape measure.

Perhaps it is the brand of pipe?

A bit like a 2x4 wood plank is not a finished measurement.

Maybe I should try a bit more force? Will do that later today now that it is not raining. If I cannot get that pipe on then I will have to try something else.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Lindacol on 10/13/2011, 12:41 pm

@Kelejan wrote:janezee, what I am saying is that I just cannot get the pipe over the rebar.

It is the inside of the pipe that is less than 3/4" according to my tape measure.

Perhaps it is the brand of pipe?

A bit like a 2x4 wood plank is not a finished measurement.

Maybe I should try a bit more force? Will do that later today now that it is not raining. If I cannot get that pipe on then I will have to try something else.



Just a thought, are you sure it is conduit that is used to run electric wire thru? Or could it be the heavier water pipe?

I haven't made those type of trellises but if I did I was going to buy the conduit & rebar at the same time and make sure that the rebar will go in the conduit before I buy.

Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  staf74 on 10/13/2011, 12:49 pm

My video update I posted today shows how I slip my 3/4 inch plastic piping snugly over 1/2 inch rebar for my hoop house. It is a good tight fit and holds up in the wind. Without pics its tough to tell what the issue is. Can you post?

staf74

Male Posts : 554
Join date : 2010-11-24
Age : 42
Location : York, SC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Glendale-gardener on 10/13/2011, 12:55 pm

Did you have it cut down at the hardware store? If you did, they might have used the plumbing dept's pipe cutter to cut it instead of the correct way which is just to cut it with a hacksaw. When you use a hacksaw, you have rough edges but the inside of the pipe stays intact and the correct diameter. When they use a pipe cutter, it rolls the inside of the pipe in on itself, making the inner diameter actually smaller but just on the edge.

If this is what happened, you can try to take some needle nose pliers(closed) and jam them in there to "ream" the hole back to it's original size, or maybe a round metal file. But it would be easier to just prop the end of the conduit up on something and use a hacksaw to take an inch of the end. Then use the plier trick to remove the rough edges. voila- HTH

Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293
Join date : 2011-03-10
Age : 41
Location : Cincinnati Zone 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/13/2011, 2:20 pm

I just bought a length of pipe and intend to cut it myself. It is the rebar that was cut and I think I need to file some of the ends to give it a start.

Thanks for your advice, G-G.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 10/13/2011, 2:54 pm

we found that the tops of some of the rebar was flattened out a little from the hammering and the conduit wouldn't fit over it.

I know it was discussed, but THIS!^

Another tip...why not take things back with your receipt and buy the next size? That would solve things, too.

Also, your rebar may be in the ground at a slight angle....causing your conduit to require LOTS of force to make it fit. (This was my issue in the spring.)

Cutting the conduit will also cause the burrs to affect the ease of sliding over the rebar.

Some fool in the store may have taken 1/2" conduit out and put it back in the 3/4" pile when he decided not to buy it. Did you try ALL your pieces?

There are just so many factors involved here. If you bought 3/4", it will work out eventually. You just need to find the mistake....like cutting or angle. It "should" fit fine.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727
Join date : 2010-12-25
Age : 42
Location : St. Louis, MO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/13/2011, 5:10 pm

@Lindacol wrote:[quote

Just a thought, are you sure it is conduit that is used to run electric wire thru? Or could it be the heavier water pipe?

I haven't made those type of trellises but if I did I was going to buy the conduit & rebar at the same time and make sure that the rebar will go in the conduit before I buy.



Now that's a thought. Must check that out. Never having seen conduit before, perhaps it is waterpipe.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/13/2011, 11:52 pm

@Kelejan wrote:
@Lindacol wrote:[quote

Just a thought, are you sure it is conduit that is used to run electric wire thru? Or could it be the heavier water pipe?

I haven't made those type of trellises but if I did I was going to buy the conduit & rebar at the same time and make sure that the rebar will go in the conduit before I buy.

Now that's a thought. Must check that out. Never having seen conduit before, perhaps it is waterpipe.



Linda, I have had a closer look at the pipe and you must be right that it is water piping. I had only noticed 3/4" and failed to read the rest of it. It also has 100 psi (pounds per square inch) at 180F and 160 psi at 73F. Embarassed

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Lindacol on 10/14/2011, 1:00 am

@Kelejan wrote:
@Kelejan wrote:
@Lindacol wrote:[quote

Just a thought, are you sure it is conduit that is used to run electric wire thru? Or could it be the heavier water pipe?

I haven't made those type of trellises but if I did I was going to buy the conduit & rebar at the same time and make sure that the rebar will go in the conduit before I buy.

Now that's a thought. Must check that out. Never having seen conduit before, perhaps it is waterpipe.



Linda, I have had a closer look at the pipe and you must be right that it is water piping. I had only noticed 3/4" and failed to read the rest of it. It also has 100 psi (pounds per square inch) at 180F and 160 psi at 73F. Embarassed



That sounds like it is water pipe. Conduit is in the electrical section of the big box stores, not the plumbing section. Metal conduit is much thinner walled than water pipe but is lighter, cheaper yet strong enough for trellis making. The is also PVC conduit that is gray and sometimes used for hoop houses.

Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  janezee on 10/14/2011, 11:24 am

Ah, a brilliant solution. It's funny how so many can look at a problem and one sees the obvious answer. I hope it comes in time for your plants. For me, this is just another good reason to keep all my receipts in one place, so I can return my mistakes.

janezee

Female Posts : 242
Join date : 2011-09-21
Age : 109
Location : Away

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:36 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum