Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by sanderson Today at 4:06 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:03 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:59 am

» Amaranth
by sanderson Today at 2:45 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 2:29 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:03 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

help with winter squash and melons!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

help with winter squash and melons!

Post  Feistywidget on 11/1/2011, 7:21 pm

I'm a little confused as to how many squash plants to grow per square foot. I found these planting guidelines for SFG w/growing squash:

Cantaloupe 2
Pumpkins 2
Summer squash 1 or 9
Tomatoes, determinate 4
Tomatoes, indeterminate 1 or 4 or 9

1 or 4 or 9
Watermelon 2
Winter Squash 2
Zucchini 1 or 9

Unfortunately what confuses me is this. It gives the number but what does this number represent? Are the numbers referring to how man you grow per square foot, or how many of the squares you use to grow one plant?

Here is an example to clarify.....

With cantaloupe it says '2'. Does that mean you can grow 2 cantaloupe plants per square foot, or that you need 2 square feet (2 of the boxes) to grow one cantaloupe plant?

It gets even more confusing with something like this.....

Zucchini 1 or 9

The reason it's MORE confusing with this is you have two numbers. Example is for zucchini; says '1' and '9'. Which number do I use, and WHAT is it referring to? Unfortunately the stupid site doesn't really specify, it just gives the numbers as a general guideline.

I'm going to assume if you do vertical gardening (that is you have a trellis so the vines have something to climb) you can grow more of the squash and melon plants per SFG square?

Last but not least, I'd like to know this. How many melon and squash plants can you grow per SFG square using vertical gardening, and how many per SFG box without using vertical gardening technique?

Feistywidget

Location : Boyne City Michigan (gardening zone 5; short growing season....mild and cool climate...hot summers, but much milder than summers in tropical gardening zones)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: help with winter squash and melons!

Post  Goosegirl on 11/1/2011, 10:55 pm

@Feistywidget wrote:I'm a little confused as to how many squash plants to grow per square foot. I found these planting guidelines for SFG w/growing squash:

Cantaloupe 2
Pumpkins 2
Summer squash 1 or 9
Tomatoes, determinate 4

1 or 4 or 9
Watermelon 2
Winter Squash 2
Zucchini 1 or 9

Unfortunately what confuses me is this. It gives the number but what does this number represent? Are the numbers referring to how man you grow per square foot, or how many of the squares you use to grow one plant?

Here is an example to clarify.....

With cantaloupe it says '2'. Does that mean you can grow 2 cantaloupe plants per square foot, or that you need 2 square feet (2 of the boxes) to grow one cantaloupe plant?

It gets even more confusing with something like this.....

Zucchini 1 or 9

The reason it's MORE confusing with this is you have two numbers. Example is for zucchini; says '1' and '9'. Which number do I use, and WHAT is it referring to? Unfortunately the stupid site doesn't really specify, it just gives the numbers as a general guideline.

I'm going to assume if you do vertical gardening (that is you have a trellis so the vines have something to climb) you can grow more of the squash and melon plants per SFG square?

Last but not least, I'd like to know this. How many melon and squash plants can you grow per SFG square using vertical gardening, and how many per SFG box without using vertical gardening technique?

This looks like the numbers are how many squares it takes for each plant. Zucchini, for instance, has some varieties (rare) that are vining, and therefore you can trellis it and use only 1 square. However, most Zucchini are bush-type and are BIG space hogs (altho' there is a thread that talks about pruning your bush zukes to control their space to 1 or 2 squares). Indeterminate tomatoes can be trellised and take up only 1 square. However, if you choose not to trellis, they will sprawl and will take up the 4 to 9 squares, depending on the variety (some are relatively small for a vine, and some can grow 10+ ft up a trellis, so if sprawling, BEWARE!). The cantaloupe and watermelon definitely take up 2 squares for each plant, even if trellised. I had 2 cukes on a 4' wide trellis (2 squares per plant) and they STILL managed to take it over, as well as the rest of the box, and the walkway, and the next tomato trellis across the walkway, etc.

Just remember to check your seed packets - bush will take up the larger number of squares, vining can use the smaller number if grown vertically (trellised). Vining will need more squares if you do not trellis, unless you have it on the outside edge and train it into your walkway, lawn, driveway, anywhere but the rest of your precious SFG space!

GG

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum