Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Today at 5:16 pm

» Today's Harvest
by trolleydriver Today at 5:08 pm

» Worm bin?
by sanderson Today at 4:16 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 3:25 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:32 pm

» Coffee Substitute?
by countrynaturals Today at 1:02 pm

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Today at 10:57 am

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:04 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:00 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 8:31 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid Today at 7:27 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Today at 12:08 am

» Biochar?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Mels book
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:34 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Yesterday at 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Yesterday at 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:36 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt 10/19/2017, 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB 10/19/2017, 5:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:08 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

We're finally all planted!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

We're finally all planted!

Post  barbara barnett on 11/16/2011, 11:51 am

It took us quite a while to locate all the ingredients for Mel's Mix but finally we got everything and got it all together this past weekend. We're real excited about all the veggies we've planted both as seed and seedlings and are anxiously waiting for all the little seeds to sprout their little leaves.

barbara barnett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: We're finally all planted!

Post  southern gardener on 11/16/2011, 2:15 pm

fantastic!! post some pics!! We just planted a bunch to here in sunny southern CA! yeah for warm weather!!
southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 11/16/2011, 2:16 pm

Well done, Barabara. We will share your excitement, especially we here in the Great White North, as they break through the surface.Very Happy

Keep us posted.

Today I had to scrape the ice off the car. A few snow flurries forecast, but not yet shovelling stage.
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4971

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  chet on 11/16/2011, 8:09 pm

barbara barnett wrote:It took us quite a while to locate all the ingredients for Mel's Mix but finally we got everything and got it all together this past weekend. We're real excited about all the veggies we've planted both as seed and seedlings and are anxiously waiting for all the little seeds to sprout their little leaves.
Hey barbara where did you find all the ingredients for mel's mix? I live in key largo doing my sfg almost have all compost for mix but still missing one part. Its hard to find vermiculite check all hd and loews but none found. Did find a good online site and store front near west palm going on road trip this sat. to see if i can pick up some stuff. So if you have something closer let me know.Smile

chet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainKidney on 11/17/2011, 1:10 pm

Chet, try locating hydroponic stores and suppliers in your area. Many times they are a good source for Vermiculite.

Mike
CaptainKidney

Male Posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol on 11/17/2011, 3:13 pm

chet wrote:
barbara barnett wrote:It took us quite a while to locate all the ingredients for Mel's Mix but finally we got everything and got it all together this past weekend. We're real excited about all the veggies we've planted both as seed and seedlings and are anxiously waiting for all the little seeds to sprout their little leaves.
Hey barbara where did you find all the ingredients for mel's mix? I live in key largo doing my sfg almost have all compost for mix but still missing one part. Its hard to find vermiculite check all hd and loews but none found. Did find a good online site and store front near west palm going on road trip this sat. to see if i can pick up some stuff. So if you have something closer let me know.Smile

Have you tried the Vermiculite Database?

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/Vermiculite-Entry-Form-h1.htm
Lindacol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gobreeze on 11/17/2011, 7:42 pm

Chet,

Medium grade vermiculite is available in Homestead at Atlantic FEC www.atlanticfec.com/ in medium grade for about $11.00 for 4 CF. I called them earlier this week to get a quote. They have it in stock and sell to the general public.

Barbara,

Congrats! I'm going to start a South Florida topic for us way down here. I have lettuce, maters, field peas, bush beans, okra, chard, carrots and spinach planted now. We're just west of you guys in Davie. Please let us know where you found your MM supplies!
V/r
Shelby
gobreeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 11/17/2011, 8:26 pm

Shelby, do you have a Lowe's near you? In CA, they sell the Mel's Mix all ready to go! all mixed up and everything. It's $12.98 a sack for 2cf. i think they might even deliver it to your local store if they don't carry it. Good luck...
southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chet on 11/18/2011, 6:50 am

gobreeze wrote:Chet,

Medium grade vermiculite is available in Homestead at Atlantic FEC www.atlanticfec.com/ in medium grade for about $11.00 for 4 CF. I called them earlier this week to get a quote. They have it in stock and sell to the general public.

Barbara,

Congrats! I'm going to start a South Florida topic for us way down here. I have lettuce, maters, field peas, bush beans, okra, chard, carrots and spinach planted now. We're just west of you guys in Davie. Please let us know where you found your MM supplies!
V/r
Shelby
Hey gobreeze thats for the info and yea i checked with them but i was looking for coarse grade. Most of parts of mix i found at home depot but had to mail order some stuff. Found a good website for all items and its up the road in west palm beach growsmarthydroponics.com going for a road trip to pick my order up. hope this helps:D

chet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 11/18/2011, 7:48 am

chet, you are being smart and you will be better off in the long run by trying to go with the coarse grade as outlined in Mel's book.

Make sure and check local garden centers and nurseries.
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chet on 11/18/2011, 5:47 pm

nKedrOoStEr wrote:chet, you are being smart and you will be better off in the long run by trying to go with the coarse grade as outlined in Mel's book.

Make sure and check local garden centers and nurseries.
Hey thanks i'm just a beginner at this so just trying to follow mel's mix.

chet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 11/18/2011, 7:09 pm

I am a rookie as well, so I think its very important to stick to the plan. Everything that I have read, and where most people end up cutting some corners and not following the suggested Mel's Mix outline, all seem to end up with regrets. I have had enough garden issues in the past, and I want to make sure that if I have an issue, its not because I didn't follow something as simple to put together as Mel's Mix.
The initial cost may be more, and some of the ingredients may be harder to find in certain areas, but I am convinced that anyone who puts forth the proper effort at obtaining the right ingredients will be rewarded for it in the long run.
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 11/18/2011, 7:22 pm

chet wrote:...yea i checked with them but i was looking for coarse grade. Most of parts of mix i found at home depot but had to mail order some stuff....

I 'settled' for medium for one batch of MM, and I hate the stuff. I have two bags left you can have; come get it! It might be cheaper to get it mail order from Uline.

I don't know if you've seen vermiculite before, but here is what it looks llike.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t6491-vermiculite-pictures
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  chet on 11/20/2011, 5:14 am

nKedrOoStEr wrote:I am a rookie as well, so I think its very important to stick to the plan. Everything that I have read, and where most people end up cutting some corners and not following the suggested Mel's Mix outline, all seem to end up with regrets. I have had enough garden issues in the past, and I want to make sure that if I have an issue, its not because I didn't follow something as simple to put together as Mel's Mix.
The initial cost may be more, and some of the ingredients may be harder to find in certain areas, but I am convinced that anyone who puts forth the proper effort at obtaining the right ingredients will be rewarded for it in the long run.
Got back from road trip from picking up vermiculite and worm castings for mix. Looking forward to mix some up today or in a few days. Want to try it out on my tomato plants i have in some planters so hope for the best.affraid

chet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 11/20/2011, 9:52 am

Congrats on your score rock on
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

mixed my soil

Post  chet on 11/21/2011, 4:21 pm

nKedrOoStEr wrote:Congrats on your score
Ok just got done with mixing my soil (mels mix) turned out very soft and light. Going to start a little planting some veggies tomorrow. Hope everything turns out good and get some good crops growing.affraid sunny

chet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum