Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ayrshire Newbie
by robert1938 Today at 12:17 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by robert1938 Today at 12:02 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:53 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:53 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 9:45 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Yesterday at 5:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:34 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 10/16/2017, 8:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 11:34 am

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

beets etc etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

beets etc etc.

Post  plantoid on 12/8/2011, 11:26 am

Because of the differences in language of English and American english will a few of you please put up a few pictures for me so I know what your talking about.

Pictures I'm after are those of the American names for :-

Beets, turnips , swisschard , sprouts , bell peppers & your lettuces .

Thanks
David .
plantoid

Male Posts : 3734

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: beets etc etc.

Post  boffer on 12/8/2011, 12:20 pm

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 12/8/2011, 12:24 pm

9 pages of lettuce pictures from the same company
http://www.territorialseed.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=lettuce
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 12/8/2011, 1:13 pm

thanks Boffer,
I like the white and gold beets.. we tend to refer to the dark red beets as beet root .

I was wondering about things when some of the USA guys & gals said they eat the beet leaves thinking they might have meant swisschard which we also know as leaf beet & seakale ( far too an earthy a taste for me but it may alter flavours when grown in Mel's Mix ) .

The lettuces look similar to ours , we also have a dark blood red curly leafed lettuce called Lolo Rosso it has a slightly stronger bitter taste than most others and is very good in a mixed lettuce salad bowl.

Do you have Iceberg Lettuces... a light greeen almost yellow solid ball of crisp full of water leaves when fresh ?
plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 12/8/2011, 1:47 pm

This is what our iceburg looks like. I had intended to say that iceburg's popularity is decreasing because of minimal nutritional value, but as I was looking for a picture, I found an iceburg history lesson.

It used to be that iceburg was nearly exclusively popular with city dwellers because it was the only lettuce that could handle being iced down for transport from large farms to the cities. This is before refrigerated containers. In fact, it was named for it's ability to handle the packing ice. These days, iceburg has lost popularity because of all the other options available, and because the darker leaf greens are a little bit more nutritious. It also said that few other lettuces can match the delicious crispness of iceburg. So the best of both worlds is a 1/2 iceburg and 1/2 dark leaf salad to get the crunch and all the vitamins and minerals.

A lot of folks on the forum prefer to grow leaf greens because they are more productive for a given space.

yes, some folks really like red beet leaves; it's best to get them young.
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 12/8/2011, 2:31 pm

When I have grown beets I take the greens and give the beets to grandma. Beets for some reason are one of the very few foods I just can't aquire a taste for. I have tried, but just can't. The only way I like them are sliced up thin and deep fried like potato chips, sprinkled with S&P. I love the greens tho! And it is somewhat depressing that I don't like them because I seem to be able to grow them pretty darn good. If I could swap that luck out with tomatoes, I would be a happy camper.Very Happy

I love all types of lettuce, but sometimes there is just nothing better than a nice fresh salad made with Iceburg! But like boffer said, our family doesn't do Iceburg very often mostly because of all the other varieties out there that seem to have more to offer.
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort on 12/8/2011, 2:35 pm

boffer wrote:

This is what our iceburg looks like. I had intended to say that iceburg's popularity is decreasing because of minimal nutritional value, but as I was looking for a picture, I found an iceburg history lesson.

It used to be that iceburg was nearly exclusively popular with city dwellers because it was the only lettuce that could handle being iced down for transport from large farms to the cities. This is before refrigerated containers. In fact, it was named for it's ability to handle the packing ice. These days, iceburg has lost popularity because of all the other options available, and because the darker leaf greens are a little bit more nutritious. It also said that few other lettuces can match the delicious crispness of iceburg. So the best of both worlds is a 1/2 iceburg and 1/2 dark leaf salad to get the crunch and all the vitamins and minerals.

A lot of folks on the forum prefer to grow leaf greens because they are more productive for a given space.

yes, some folks really like red beet leaves; it's best to get them young.

Hello - East of Eden had the story in it...

ashort

Male Posts : 520

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 12/8/2011, 3:11 pm

Over here the Iceberg stuff is grown hydroponically by the acre in massive purpose built glass houses on rail systems .

Like has been said , it does not have much flavour even though it is supposed to be produced in /on optimum growth solutions . I think they mean optimum solutions to get phenominal growth in the shortest time.

I'm told that unless you are a registered iceberg grower it is nigh impossible to get seed for them is this the same for you guys? .
I wonder what they would taste like if grown on decent well manured & watered soil or mel's mix ?
plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee on 12/8/2011, 6:00 pm

I wonder the same thing. It seems that iceberg tasted much better back before hydroponics. It was greener, for sure.
We can get seeds here.
j
janezee

Female Posts : 242

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 12/8/2011, 6:32 pm

plantoid wrote:
Because of the differences in language of English and American english will a few of you please put up a few pictures for me so I know what your talking about.

Pictures I'm after are those of the American names for :-

Beets, turnips , swisschard , sprouts , bell peppers & your lettuces .

Thanks
David .
Howdy!
Chard is in the same family as beet and is delicious. very cold tolerant.
http://myfolia.com/plants/search?query=Chard

Turnip
neeps

Bell Pepper

Sweet, has no heat.

Mesculin Mix lettuces

I prefer alfalfa sprouts

and of course the perennial favourite, I eat both the root and the greens.
Beet
These are some I grew last year.
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=12&u=15094922
my beets

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 12/8/2011, 7:05 pm

camprn.........those beets are beautiful!! hoping mine turn out like that!!
southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 12/8/2011, 7:13 pm

southern gardener wrote:camprn.........those beets are beautiful!! hoping mine turn out like that!!
Thanks!! Very Happy
Last year (2010) was a great beet year. Last season (2011) I got foliage, which was yummy! but no roots.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 12/8/2011, 9:44 pm

Swiss chard is a beet plant with no roots essentially as I understand it. Therefore beet greens and swiss chard are very similar. And you can pick beet greens as the plant grows - best when young and tender. I prefer beets to greens and have grown swiss chard but not a big greens person except for lettuce spinach.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom on 12/9/2011, 6:21 am

I love threads like this one. Very educational from a gardening standpoint and from a cultural standpoint. I didn't know you could eat the foliage of beets. LOL. I"m not a beet eater but they are in my garden for my dad , who loves them. I don't even remember my eating the leaves either.
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 12/9/2011, 7:38 am

I was just reading about Swiss Chard in my Baker Creek catalog - I have been convinced to try it! I had only greens on my beets - the few that did actually germinate - so I will go with Chard this coming season and see if I can get Hubby to give it a try.

GG
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 12/9/2011, 9:20 am

Chopper wrote:Swiss chard is a beet plant with no roots essentially as I understand it. Therefore beet greens and swiss chard are very similar. And you can pick beet greens as the plant grows - best when young and tender. I prefer beets to greens and have grown swiss chard but not a big greens person except for lettuce spinach.

What we learn on this forum. I always liked the beet greens and will only eat beet roots if pickled. Now I know why I like chard which I had for the first time in 2002 from a pack of mixed salad seeds. The chard is the only thing that really produced.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4360

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 12/10/2011, 12:46 am

I love spinach and chard (and now am going to have to try beet greens) bounce , however, a word of warning that if you are prone to the calcium oxalate kind of kidney stones, you may want to check with your doctor about the appropriate amount of chard, spinach, rhubarb, beets, okra, soy and sweet potatoes that you should safely eat because they are oxalate-rich.

Article from mayo clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kidney-stones/DS00282/DSECTION=prevention
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 12/14/2011, 4:18 pm

I have only eaten the swiss chard leaves lightly steamed with a small knowb of butter on afterwards. I found them a very earthy taste similar to fresh boiled beet root that is eaten hot & thick sliced as soon as the skin is squeezed off them .

Beet root changes taste when boiled till tender , skinned when hot/ rather warm and left to cool in cold water then washed off and eaten the next day with a shake of lo - salt and a smidgeon of fine ground white pepper .. eat it with a decent hard cheese .
You can also boil them till tender then leave them to cool right down and skin them .

Over here it is nigh on a hanging offence to cut the tops off beet root at the bulbous part of the crop .that are going into the pot for boiling , you should twist off the tops instead , this is supposed to keep the colour and flavour in them . Any really long roots need to be sniped off at one inch long.
plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 12/14/2011, 6:19 pm

I like eating chard or beet greens steamed , with Newman's Own family style Italian dressing What a Face or with just a bit of cider vinegar and salt.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 12/14/2011, 6:30 pm

Swiss chard lighly steamed then toss with minced garlic heated in 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 butter. A little ol Italian man told me this was the best way to eat it, and wow, I believe he was right Laughing
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4855

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum