Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:20 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:09 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:07 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:01 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:15 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Reading and Planning

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reading and Planning

Post  Red-Leg on 12/16/2011, 3:16 pm

Just picked up the new SFG book and am looking forward to getting things started this coming spring. I had been planning on a large raised bed (4x12 or so) prior to reading the book but have now revised my plans to several 4x4 boxes and possibly a long 2x12 along the north fence for the climbers.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and am really excited about the coming spring!

Red-Leg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reading and Planning

Post  ashort on 12/16/2011, 3:22 pm

Welcome! You will find a great group of helpful folks here. Its a bit quiet right now, but it will pick up come spring... Nothing wrong with 2x12's - I have two of them. I am planning a 4x16, so there is nothing wrong with the bigger ones as long as you have walk around space...

ashort

Male Posts : 520

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 12/16/2011, 9:00 pm

It is quiet this time of year, but many of us are indulging in a handful of silly threads, which is a good opportunity to get to know each other better.

And needing to do serious planning isn't far off, at least for anyone growing from seeds.

I'm excited for you entering on your first year of SFG! I am willing to bet that you'll be hooked as immediately as the rest of us.

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie on 12/16/2011, 9:22 pm

Welcome!!

dixie

Female Posts : 754

View user profile http://www.zibbet.com/dixiedazzletoo

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 12/17/2011, 11:30 am

Welcome! It's nice to see another new gardener.

If I had mine to do over again, I'd make mine 3 ft across by however long, like 4 or 6 or 12 feet. The narrower distance reaching across would sure help me now as I get older and the aches begin. Four foot squares are good, but even reaching halfway at 2 feet across is getting to be a more difficult. Just a consideration.

Are you going to try starting your own seed? Its easy with a heat mat and a couple of shop lights from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Don't forget to check out our seed swapping thread this spring. If you need only a few of anything to try, you might find it there. With you being a newbie, I'll be happy to just send you a few varieties of seed gratis. Send me a PM when you are ready for some seeds and let me know what you're looking to try. I may have something that will work for you. I save many of my organic tomato seeds each year and also have some pepper seeds saved and I have lots of types of lettuce that you can sow right out in your garden beds this spring. It would be my gift to a newbie. That goes for any other newbies this coming year. Just PM me.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart on 12/17/2011, 2:57 pm

I also will start this spring. This is a great place. Lot's of great people here with great ideas and knowledge. look forward to spring

newstart

Female Posts : 335

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red-Leg on 12/18/2011, 8:52 am

quiltbea - Thank you for the kind offer. I have a nice variety of non-GMO heirloom seeds to start with, but may take you up on your offer to try additional variety.

I will need to do some indoor seeding beginning in February, as I really want to try and avoid the hybrid varieties so that rules out much of the locally available transplants. I live in an urban environment and don't have much in the way of counter space in my house, so am looking for ideas there. I have heard of people using LED grow lights, but those seem to be a little expensive for my current needs. Unfortunately, my garage is detached and unheated/insulated so I don't believe that is a viable option for my indoor seeding project. I do have an unfinished basement and am thinking I will need to use that space. Do you have any suggestions or resources I could look into to get this off the ground?

Thanks!
Darren

@quiltbea wrote:Welcome! It's nice to see another new gardener.

If I had mine to do over again, I'd make mine 3 ft across by however long, like 4 or 6 or 12 feet. The narrower distance reaching across would sure help me now as I get older and the aches begin. Four foot squares are good, but even reaching halfway at 2 feet across is getting to be a more difficult. Just a consideration.

Are you going to try starting your own seed? Its easy with a heat mat and a couple of shop lights from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Don't forget to check out our seed swapping thread this spring. If you need only a few of anything to try, you might find it there. With you being a newbie, I'll be happy to just send you a few varieties of seed gratis. Send me a PM when you are ready for some seeds and let me know what you're looking to try. I may have something that will work for you. I save many of my organic tomato seeds each year and also have some pepper seeds saved and I have lots of types of lettuce that you can sow right out in your garden beds this spring. It would be my gift to a newbie. That goes for any other newbies this coming year. Just PM me.

Red-Leg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 12/18/2011, 9:03 am

Hi fellow Ohioan and Welcome!

I can't answer your question but you can also try the search box at the top and checkmark the little Search SFG Forum box, and off you go into the world of SFG knowledge. Enjoy! this is a great place to be.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 12/18/2011, 9:22 am

First off let me say glad you\'re here Red!
I am very happy to see that you already have the book. That alone makes things so much easier. We reference it constantly and its your foundation for success in these parts! You will find yourself constantly flipping through it to find things.
Have you found your region yet? I would encourage you to start posting questions you may have in your regional area.
Here are my herb starters under an overpowered shop strip light with typical grow bulbs from Home Depot:

Again, Welcome aboard...and love that avatar!!

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 12/18/2011, 9:35 am

For growing, I use the economical daylight bulbs from Lowe's, about $6 for two 4-footers that will last several years. I haven't tried LEDs.

Your basement might do the trick. I start mine in our basement furnace room. The furnace gives off a little heat so it makes a great growing temp for my starters. Mine are on banquet tables and to lift the lights as the plants grow, I just stack old VHS tapes under the ends or bricks or anything stable.

As you can see, my lights tilt at angles as needed, taller plants at one end, shorter at the other with the props as high or low as needed to keep the lights a couple inches above the plants. I repot right on the table from a bucket of starter soil and an old litter tray for filling the pots. I use 16-oz plastic cups for smaller needs and I make my own air-pruning pots for the larger plants, from used 2- and 3-liter bottles. I begin in Feb with broccoli, cabbage and some herb plants, followed by the warm-weather toms, peppers and eggplant later on. I find it very therapeutic while the winter winds are blowing outside.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 12/18/2011, 9:45 am

Red-Leg

The last 2 seasons I have had to 'make do' with less-than-ideal seed starting equipment as well. This year I will have a seed starting station set up in the basement, if I can get Hubby to help me get the old free-standing oven cabinet down to the basement!

The first season I used 18" under-counter lights attached with velcro to the bottom of an upper shelf of a bookcase, with the seed trays on the shelf below it with books or boxes under the seed trays to get them the proper distance (closeness?) to the lights - with a heating pad under the trays. As the seedlings got bigger, I could remove a book or two from under the trays to give them more room.

Last season I used a baker's rack - I set the same 18" under-counter lights (3 of them) laying on top of a shelf and shining through the wire shelf to the seed trays on the shelf below - again with boxes or books underneath the seed trays to get them the proper distance from the lights. Silly and unscientific, but it worked! Here is a pic of my first seed tray last season. It doesn't have to be elaborate to work! Just remember to shut off the heat mat at night or you end up with leggy seedlings.....

Last edited by Goosegirl on 12/18/2011, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : completing a sentence!)

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 12/18/2011, 12:16 pm

Some good things here
http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/tips-for-gardening

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 12/18/2011, 4:42 pm

darren two six volt hand torch bulbs running from a mains to 6 volt transformer / charge will give you wnough underbed head to get seeds to germinate

Years ago my first high speed bottom heat seed germinator kit was home made ...using a 110 volt bulb wired into a domestic house heating thermostat that cycled at 60 deg o F ( from a garage sale ) & pluged into a garden power tool circuit breaker .

The bulb was laid on some wire mesh that was set on some bricks to stop the plastic melting inside a 15 inch deep 24 by 18 inch stacking plastic packing crate , above the light bulb was a slotted cooling plaste off the back of an old freesed heat sink to dissapaite the heat evenly in the lower box.
Nine inches above the bulb was another packing crate that stacked dirctly onto on the first one , this one held the trays of seeds .
I got the two stacking crates from a garage sale as well Very Happy

Initially the seedtray containing crate was covered with food grade clingfilm ( CERAM ??? ) to keep the heat in and let light in .

Later on I splashed out and purchased some clear polycarb sheet to make a better cover as i needed to remove the cling film to spray mist the seed trays to keep them damp & the seedlings growing.
I placed it on boxes inside the garage adjacent to the window but just below the line/ point where the sun would dry things out & rotated the seed trays within the crate to give even sunshine to the young seedlings . It was a total success.

I now have a pupose built thermostatically controlled 40 to 90 o F under bed heated automatic misting propagating bed out in the glass house instead Very Happy

plantoid

Male Posts : 3637

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 12/18/2011, 5:30 pm

This is what I was working with last season. I used a 4 foot shop light with natural tone light bulbs.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum