Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by llama momma Today at 9:48 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:45 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New to the forum, need help with a large project!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New to the forum, need help with a large project!

Post  RockstarParkingDude on 12/23/2011, 10:25 pm

20 feet isn't that far.... but 10 feet would probably work just as well.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP!!! you have been so much more informative than i could have hoped for.

the golf course i work at does constantly have trucks full of sand and soils and mulches and peat. i need to get together with the head groundskeeper to ask him what availabilities of the required materials. i can probably get just about any soil materials by truckload... it is a golf course.

also, i don't necessarily have labor working for me, but i can get labor for the setup and maybe one or two people for like 12 hours a week after that to help tend it. i will actually be doing a good bit of the harvesting myself - i'm not quite high up enough to escape actual work.

if i were to go with a soil medium instead, what should i add to make it more productive? peat? lots of compost? what would work best? i've never had to think about this, the soil in my yard is incredible.

RockstarParkingDude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 12/24/2011, 12:37 am

You immediately leave our area of expertise when you go away from Mel's Mix, unless you are lucky enough to tap into one of the "older method's" experts around here. There are several here, and I'm sure they can tell you the in's and out's of amending your existing soil.

The hard thing for you to get volumes of in a golf course environment will be vermiculite. The amounts you will be asking for will make any superintendent laugh at you when he sees the price. Again, my recommendation should you decide to commit to SFG's concept: Read up on it and study with us. Then, sell your board on both the aesthetics and productivity making SFG beds will bring. It's an easy sell once you understand the concept inside and out. That will free up your vermiculite delivery. Your results may change opinions around the golf course crew.

But, that said, you may inquire with the golf crew as to the composition of their soils, too. Some around here mix their own beds. They keep similar textures to Mel's Mix for ease of switching out seasonal landscapes.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 12/24/2011, 7:40 am

The golf course accounts people should be able to bulk buy vermiculite at fantastic discounted rates direct from the suppliers ... simply by buying just one sack and getting their contact info off the bag or cheating by sneaking a look at a sack.
( industrial espionage agents wanted .. square footers sign up here ? ) .

When you think of it the % mark up is around the figures of over 600 % from manufacturer to the end user for most products. ( Those middle men just add cost into things )

Here in the UK I can get a 120 litre bag for £ 15 inc taxes from a builders merchant . If I had an account that spent over £ 20 ,000 per year I would see it drop to £ 10 a bag & if I spent over £60,000 pa I'd be picking it up for £ 3 or 4 on minimum order 500 delivery included by the manufacturer .( all figures are approximates )
Direct from the makers ...who knows ? I'd also seek out several producers if at all possible and compare prices.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 12/24/2011, 7:54 am

If you're thinking 18" high for the beds, you could always put stone & soil in the bottom 10-12", then weed cloth, then Mel's Mix (MM) in the top 6-8". You could make one of the beds a bit deeper with MM for carrots, potatoes, etc. This could help with expenses.

Under no circumstances would I mix soil & MM together.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1861

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort on 12/24/2011, 9:29 am

@BackyardBirdGardner wrote:You immediately leave our area of expertise when you go away from Mel's Mix, unless you are lucky enough to tap into one of the "older method's" experts around here. There are several here, and I'm sure they can tell you the in's and out's of amending your existing soil.

The hard thing for you to get volumes of in a golf course environment will be vermiculite. The amounts you will be asking for will make any superintendent laugh at you when he sees the price. Again, my recommendation should you decide to commit to SFG's concept: Read up on it and study with us. Then, sell your board on both the aesthetics and productivity making SFG beds will bring. It's an easy sell once you understand the concept inside and out. That will free up your vermiculite delivery. Your results may change opinions around the golf course crew.

But, that said, you may inquire with the golf crew as to the composition of their soils, too. Some around here mix their own beds. They keep similar textures to Mel's Mix for ease of switching out seasonal landscapes.

You can find it in bulk... I bet its cheaper than you think... here is a place in MA with 75 cu ft bag...

http://www.whittemoreco.com/vermiculite.htm

ashort

Male Posts : 520

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 12/24/2011, 10:57 am

I'd highly recommend J.P. Austin in Beaver Falls, PA for your vermiculite. I've dealt with them in the past and the owner (Jerry) even called me when there was a screw-up with our order. Good, honest company. He and Victoria from the Foundation met at a conference and I THINK (but not 100% certain) he supplies the vermiculite for the pre-packaged Mel's Mix for the East Coast.

The number is 724 846-6510.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1861

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual on 12/24/2011, 11:33 am

This is all I could come up with for Pennsylvanian veggies:

Growing Guide From Penn State

Commercial Growers Guide

Biointensive Farming(from penn state again)

the middle one is from penn state also. I had no idea that a university was studying biointensive farming, guess I need to look at those vids too. It's an interesting method.

Last, but not least

Veggie Varieties from penn state

This is a listing of veggies that are known to grow in your state.

One thing about heirlooms though, they might take a generation or 3 to grow well in your location. Just keep trying, read up on seed saving and get a family line going.

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RockstarParkingDude on 12/24/2011, 12:12 pm

amazing. thank you so much.

RockstarParkingDude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:19 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum