Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New Member
by sanderson Today at 3:47 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:15 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:25 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 1/1/2012, 12:09 pm

Hmmmm, I wonder what that could mean......stay tuned for some excitement!! (I figure we have a little time before talking gardening in January)

But, one quick tip: Refresh yourself with your frost dates. You may need to start that broccoli indoors this month!! Spring's a comin'...

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727
Join date : 2010-12-25
Age : 42
Location : St. Louis, MO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 1/2/2012, 11:25 am

I'll be quick again. But, as some of you have noticed, we have a new Co-Host to the region!! Please take the time to say hi to Llama Momma. She graciously stepped up and offered to help out. She has a ton of energy and we will be collaborating on a lot of things around here to keep the fun going.

Also, stop over to the Upper South and congratulate Madnicmom on her new hosting duties for that region. If you are in the southern portion of the Midwest, follow her, too. The climates are similar. She isn't gone. She promised ( Wink ) to continue hanging around here because otherwise her contributions would be greatly missed.

Llama (Gina) and I are putting our heads together and getting on the same page. January may be the time of year to do this since I don't think anyone is hanging by a thin thread waiting for the pearls of gardening tips January contains. Rest assured, we'll get there.

In the meantime, order your seeds if you need some....don't let them get back-ordered on you. And, refresh yourself with your starting dates indoors if you like getting head starts. The longer crops like broccoli and cauliflower need to be starting soon. And, believe it or not, tomatoes aren't that far behind, either.

BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727
Join date : 2010-12-25
Age : 42
Location : St. Louis, MO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Windsor.Parker on 1/2/2012, 8:56 pm

@BackyardBirdGardner wrote:She graciously stepped up and offered to help out.

Gina, and

Windsor.Parker (Lee)

Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 355
Join date : 2011-12-12
Age : 69
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Goosegirl on 1/2/2012, 9:10 pm

Thanks for volunteering Llama! Your biggest job will be keeping BBG in line! I'm sure Boffer and Josh will be glad to help, and Rooster will referee all.



Thanks for the reminder to check our calendars for seed starting BBG! Last year I started my seedlings in late March instead of the end of Feb. because of a vacation (have to go when Hubby feels up to it!) so this year I am starting EARLY, which means only a few more short weeks.



Happy gardening wishes to all in the Midwest!



GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Goosegirl on 1/7/2012, 4:23 pm

January Goose Report:

Well, it is January 7th, and I just got done with the Fall clean-up of my iris beds in the front yard. Yep, Fall clean-up! Between work and every flu, cold, sinus infection, allergy, etc. that has been common to the area, I just never got the front yard finished. Figured the snow would cover the mess until Spring when I would have more time and energy. Well, I have more time and energy now, and no snow to cover up the mess, and it is 41 degrees, so I got out the clippers and the rake and a flat piece of cardboard (5'x9') to drag the clippings/rakings back to the compost pile. 5 heaping cardboard loads later, I am done. My compost pile that was 6'x8' is now 12'x8', approx. 3' high. And..........under all that mess that was in the front yard..........my irises are sprouting. SPROUTING IN JANUARY!!!!! Makes me want to start some seeds!

Stay tuned for February Goose Report from the GNotSoWN!

GG


____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Windsor.Parker on 1/7/2012, 7:49 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:Thanks for volunteering Llama! Your biggest job will be keeping BBG in line! I'm sure Boffer and Josh will be glad to help, and Rooster will referee all.

Thanks for the reminder to check our calendars for seed starting BBG! Last year I started my seedlings in late March instead of the end of Feb. because of a vacation (have to go when Hubby feels up to it!) so this year I am starting EARLY, which means only a few more short weeks.

Happy gardening wishes to all in the Midwest!
GG

Likewise GG!


Last edited by Windsor.Parker on 1/7/2012, 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 355
Join date : 2011-12-12
Age : 69
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Windsor.Parker on 1/7/2012, 7:54 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:January Goose Report:
Well, it is January 7th, and I just got done with the Fall clean-up of my iris beds in the front yard. Yep, Fall clean-up! Between work and every flu, cold, sinus infection, allergy, etc. that has been common to the area, I just never got the front yard finished. Figured the snow would cover the mess until Spring when I would have more time and energy. Well, I have more time and energy now, and no snow to cover up the mess, and it is 41 degrees, so I got out the clippers and the rake and a flat piece of cardboard (5'x9') to drag the clippings/rakings back to the compost pile. 5 heaping cardboard loads later, I am done. My compost pile that was 6'x8' is now 12'x8', approx. 3' high. And..........under all that mess that was in the front yard..........my irises are sprouting. SPROUTING IN JANUARY!!!!! Makes me want to start some seeds!
Stay tuned for February Goose Report from the GNotSoWN!
GG

Makes me want a greenhouse!

Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 355
Join date : 2011-12-12
Age : 69
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Goosegirl on 1/7/2012, 8:32 pm

@Windsor.Parker wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:January Goose Report:
........ And..........under all that mess that was in the front yard..........my irises are sprouting. SPROUTING IN JANUARY!!!!! Makes me want to start some seeds!
Stay tuned for February Goose Report from the GNotSoWN!
GG

Makes me want a greenhouse!

rofl
If I were to get a greenhouse, we would get 6 ft of snow and I would never be able to get to it! silly me Say, there's an idea! If I invest in a greenhouse I can almost GUARANTEE SNOW!

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Windsor.Parker on 1/12/2012, 2:45 pm

GG,
Good weather the past few weeks allowed me to finish Fall "clean-up"! bounce
Lot's of plants to move/save in preparation for Spring SFG!
Compost pile here expanded, too!

Since snowfall began here this morning and is forecast to continue for the next few days...
No more outside work for now! Sad
Still keeping busy indoors however with cuttings and transplants, more inspirational reading in ANSFG, SFG planning, design, and scheduling tasks...
Which may all be conducted from my easy chair. sawing logs

But wait, there's more MM to blend and store...
Lee

Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 355
Join date : 2011-12-12
Age : 69
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Goosegirl on 1/12/2012, 9:46 pm

@Windsor.Parker wrote:
Since snowfall began here this morning and is forecast to continue for the next few days...
No more outside work for now! Sad
Still keeping busy indoors however with cuttings and transplants, more inspirational reading in ANSFG, SFG planning, design, and scheduling tasks...
Which may all be conducted from my easy chair. sawing logs
Lee
I'm all for the easy chair winter work as well! Yesterday we got 1" of sleet/ice, covered by another 1" of snow, now 30 mph gusts making it hard to see the ice. Supposed to be -5 tonight. Time to curl up with the ANSFG + a few warm cats :cat: :cat: and re-read and dream sawing logs
GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  laurainwinona on 1/13/2012, 12:50 am

My order of heirloom seeds arrived today.....along with wind and 5 inches of snow!! Spent a good part of the afternoon planning. Will start seedling trays soon....just have to figure a way to keep them warm and well-lighted so they actually grow this year! I saw in Menards a heated mat that goes under the seedling tray to keep it warm. Anybody have any experience with that? Is it something worthwhile (especially since the only place I have to put seedling trays is on the 3-season porch) or just a gimmick? Also, would a full-spectrum light work for plants or do I need an actual "grow light"?

laurainwinona

Female Posts : 86
Join date : 2010-04-26
Age : 47
Location : Southeast MN, USA, zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Goosegirl on 1/13/2012, 7:14 am

@laurainwinona wrote:My order of heirloom seeds arrived today.....along with wind and 5 inches of snow!! Spent a good part of the afternoon planning. Will start seedling trays soon....just have to figure a way to keep them warm and well-lighted so they actually grow this year! I saw in Menards a heated mat that goes under the seedling tray to keep it warm. Anybody have any experience with that? Is it something worthwhile (especially since the only place I have to put seedling trays is on the 3-season porch) or just a gimmick? Also, would a full-spectrum light work for plants or do I need an actual "grow light"?
They do work, and the full-spectrum lights seem to be fine as well if you don't want to go with the whole plant set up. I use my old heating pad (yep, the one I use on my sore back) and some ordinary 18" under-counter fluorescent lights and they work just fine - as long as I remember to turn them on and off! Make sure that you remember to turn the heat mat off when you turn the lights off at night, otherwise it throws off their growth cycle.
GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  RoOsTeR on 1/13/2012, 7:48 am

I'm using a regular old 4' shop light and it works just fine.


____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879
Join date : 2011-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  laurainwinona on 1/13/2012, 10:22 am

Ah! a heating pad! What a great idea, Goosegirl! I think I have one, too, so I can save myself $20. I bought a full spectrum lamp for sleep-cycle issues and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, especially since it would be awkward to hang a large or shop light in the area where I put my seedling trays.

Thanks, Goosegirl and nKedrOoStEr!!

I'm looking forward to spring and all things garden as I listen to the beeping and scraping of the snow-removal crew outside!

laurainwinona

Female Posts : 86
Join date : 2010-04-26
Age : 47
Location : Southeast MN, USA, zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Goosegirl on 1/13/2012, 1:28 pm

@laurainwinona wrote: I bought a full spectrum lamp for sleep-cycle issues and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, especially since it would be awkward to hang a large or shop light in the area where I put my seedling trays.

I got the 18" Under Counter lights because I knew I would have a hard time sneaking a 4' shoplight past Hubby! So far I have been using 3 that hang side by side to make a good-sized square of light, but I got 3 more for this coming season. Now if I can just get the heating pad away from my hairless cat!:cat:

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  camprn on 1/13/2012, 1:47 pm

@Goosegirl wrote: Now if I can just get the heating pad away from my hairless cat!:cat: GG
Poor Kitty! I understand.
Kitty in Winter!

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Goosegirl on 1/13/2012, 10:10 pm

@camprn wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote: Now if I can just get the heating pad away from my hairless cat!:cat: GG
Poor Kitty! I understand.
Kitty in Winter!

rofl rofl rofl
It was hard to stop watching these!
GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Goosegirl on 1/14/2012, 5:04 pm

Indoor update! Got my seed-starting cabinet down into the basement with only minimal complications. I cleared the way, Hubby helped get it down the stairs, and even figured out how to make it fit. Former owners put in a drop-ceiling that is NON-removable. I was ready to smack the cabinet with a hammer and let it dig a trench in the ceiling tiles as it tilted upright, but fortunately Hubby is a master solver of problems and I have the the powertools! At his suggestion I got out the circular saw and cut the 4" riser off the bottom of the cabinet to be able to stand it upright but it is now ready for me to install the lights. I have made enough noise around the house for one day. Margarita now, pics later.

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  laurainwinona on 1/18/2012, 4:02 pm

Now, if I can find the heating pad..... it went down to 5 below last night! I guess it finally decided to be winter. But, I am having fun planning!! Have fun planning and dreaming of spring, everyone! Very Happy

laurainwinona

Female Posts : 86
Join date : 2010-04-26
Age : 47
Location : Southeast MN, USA, zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Goosegirl on 1/18/2012, 7:27 pm

@laurainwinona wrote:Now, if I can find the heating pad..... it went down to 5 below last night! I guess it finally decided to be winter. But, I am having fun planning!! Have fun planning and dreaming of spring, everyone! Very Happy

Watch out tonight! It is supposed to be -17 here, and you are not far from me! I need one BIG heating pad!

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: January in the Midwest!! (to be continued)

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:55 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum