Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by trolleydriver Today at 7:28 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:46 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:31 pm

» Julia Child's French Onion Soup
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:18 pm

» jalapeno variety question?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:56 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Indoor Container Garden - City Living
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» who has chickens
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:49 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by plantoid Yesterday at 10:59 am

» has55's R & D Journey
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:00 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals 12/16/2017, 10:26 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Roseinarosecity 12/16/2017, 10:03 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by No_Such_Reality 12/16/2017, 5:36 pm

» Areogardening
by trolleydriver 12/16/2017, 1:45 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by countrynaturals 12/16/2017, 11:55 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by saganco 12/16/2017, 11:11 am

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:57 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:53 pm

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by sanderson 12/15/2017, 1:41 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan 12/15/2017, 7:51 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/14/2017, 11:01 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/14/2017, 6:32 am

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 5:28 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/13/2017, 8:24 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Garden Construction/Planning

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Garden Construction/Planning

Post  llama momma on 2/1/2012, 1:29 pm

JK-
OK found the picture. The box on the left is the 4 x 8 with two critter cages and the trellis is on the right.
You should see the cinder blocks on the left of the box and the chicken wire wrapped around the green metal poles on the right that protects the trellis. Like I said not pretty but it served my purpose to keep out deer, cats, bunnies, etc.
It's not a closeup picture, but maybe you can see anyway?
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4856

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 2/1/2012, 2:22 pm

JK, my favorite seed source is Territorial Seeds, though I also purchase seeds at various stores. Territorial is close enough (80 miles but on my way to "The Big City" of Eugene, OR) that I can get there once a month or so. However, I am no longer allowed to go there without adult supervision. Shocked I tend to buy more packages of seed than I even have squares.

They have several varieties of Bush Beans

BUSH BEANS
Since I like lots of colors in my beans, I grew Royal Burgundy, Carsons and Nash Bush Beans.

They also have the Bush french filet style of beans (long and skinny)
FRENCH FILET
I grew Soliel and then a Burpee Brand Garden Bean, French Filet

In most warm areas, Snap and Snow peas will only grow and produce in Spring, they cannot tolerate much heat, so perhaps you could even grow peas on your trellises, then pull them out when it is time to transplant your warm weather crops.

Most peas vine, but some are only 20 - 30 inches
SNAP PEAS
Snow Peas also vine, again some varieties are 20 - 36 inches.
SNOW PEAS
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JK on 2/2/2012, 8:45 am

Llamma Mamma - That looks great Smile How high is your trellis?

Furbalsmom - Thanks for the bean info, once I get everything picked im going to post specific types and spacings for a review from everyone before I commit to dirt Wink

I have seen people talk about the seed packets being so attractive and addicting... they just put them out at Ace and Lowes and now I understand what everyone means. I wanted one of everything bounce. So many plants and so few squares....

JK

Male Posts : 123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 2/2/2012, 9:10 am

[quote="JK"]Llamma Mamma - That looks great Smile How high is your trellis?

Thanks JK - the trellis was made exactly as described in Mel's book with 5 ft. tall electrical conduits. I took the book to home depot and showed a guy the picture of the parts. He got the parts for me, cut the pieces, got the rebars and elbows too.
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JK on 2/9/2012, 10:20 am

So time is flying by and I think I should be planting pretty soon. I am making progress on my fifth type of compost but I dont know that I will have it or have it ready in time. How much trouble will I be in if I stick to the 1/3 ratio using 4 types of composts and then add in small amounts of a fifth type as it is available/ready?

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 2/9/2012, 11:08 am

As long as the quality of composts are good it should be just fine. I would promise myself to keep my eyes open for more varieties. If you find more than 5 sources get those too. And remember no two compost heaps will be the same, yet in the end our gardens will be very happy with homemade compost... My first attempt at sfg was a fall garden with 4/5ths aged manure and 1/5th yard compost and everything in the fall season garden grew. A gift you can give yourself right now is not to stress over it, and as many others have said on this forum, compost will happen. Smile
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JK on 2/9/2012, 11:25 am

Great, thats good news. I have my own compost pile going its just not ready yet. My co-worker should be getting me horse manure within a week or two but from the sound of it I will need to compost it before it can be used. Ive got 8cuft of vermiculite, two 2.2cuft bales of peat which I understand will fluff out to around 8cuft, and I have two bags each of cow, hen, mushroom, and worm. They are all fairly close to the same size and a couple list 1cuft. Figure this will give me my 1/3 ratio as long as I watch and dont get to much peat. Depending on weather and family issues Im going to try and get things built and mixed this weekend.

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 2/9/2012, 11:35 am

Glad to ease your mind JK. And it sounds like you are off to a great start. way to go
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Manure delivery

Post  JK on 2/14/2012, 9:35 pm

So... Never in my life would have I thought I would be excited about someone bringing me poop. Co-worker came through with an entire bin full of horse manure and said anytime I need more she has all I could need! bounce Comparing to the bags of compost I've bought that say 1cuft, I would guess its probably 3cuft or more. Into the compost bin

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion on 2/15/2012, 12:19 am

Use some real live dirt for the first 6" - then do the MM. That is what i have done.

I don't see any illogical reasoning to it. You will only make the dirt rich for future use.

rod champion

Male Posts : 125

View user profile http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JK on 2/15/2012, 8:38 am

Rod - First 6" of what? The compost bin or the actual garden bed?

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Compost!!

Post  JK on 2/16/2012, 8:21 pm

Stopped by a feed and seed I hadnt seen before and right out front is black cow and another bag I wasnt used to seeing... Cotton compost, made in Georgia, 100% cotton plant parts, fully composted!bounce Now I have a full 5 for my MM and manure for my own compost pile. Between now and sunday I'll be building a new compost bin and 2 4x4 boxes with trellises. Only thing I havent got is the netting and I'll be ordering it online tomorow.

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Getting there

Post  JK on 2/20/2012, 8:44 am

Weather wasnt exactly cooperative this weekend so I got the boxes put together in my out building. Two boxes: 8" 4x4 and 12" 4x4. All the stuff for the mix, just gotta get it done during the week cause it seems to wait for the weekend to rain Sad

The blue tote is completly full of horse manure. Just waiting for the boards that were out in the rain to dry off before building my new compost bin. Also picked up a big bag of coffee grounds this morning from a girl I know at a local coffee place sunny

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 2/20/2012, 12:22 pm

Lookin' good!
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4695

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Finally Built

Post  JK on 2/27/2012, 9:33 am

Took longer than I hoped but I finally had a weekend with a little sunshine. Both 4x4, one 8" and one 12". Planted carrot, radish, beet, spinach, and several different lettuces. Waiting to get broccoli, tomato, and peppers as transplants.

I have some peas I was given that are apparently vine type, would it be to crowded to plant them in the back in the same square as tomato?

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti on 2/27/2012, 9:47 am

Peas are a cool weather crop, and tomatoes a warm. So if you grow peas until the tomato transplants are ready, you should get some peas. BUT... you will probably have to tear out peas still producing if you want that square for tomatoes. The time to put in tomato transplants tends to be before the peas are quite done.

Very hard choice there, since they're my two favorite crops. Wink I've NEVER had enough of either tomatoes or peas!

Best way to start peas is to pre-sprout them by wrapping in a wet paper towel in a plastic baggie for a day or two, then add inoculant (if using) and plant the sprouts.

Reason being while the PLANTS produce best in cool weather and can even handle some frost, they take forever to sprout when it's cold. In fact, if too cold, they will even rot before sprouting, which means no peas at all. Sad

This is especially true for sugar snap peas, English peas are more likely to work without pre-sprouting.
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JK on 2/27/2012, 9:56 am

Thanks jpatti, think Ill be saving the peas for another time then. Tomato transplants should be here within the next few weeks. Just got these two built and I already want more.

How important is seed planting depth? I went by the book as muc has possible on everything but I kinda ran out of patience when time to actually plant came. Seed packets varied from 1/8" to 1/2". I dont think a single one got its recommended depth...Embarassed

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti on 2/27/2012, 10:02 am

How important it is varies somewhat.

Like... if you were planting a bit late, you might plant a tad shallower, to get them to come up faster.

My rule of thumb, cause I rarely have a ruler in the garden (and it's hard to be this precise sometimes), is to generally plant seeds as deep as the size of the seed.

So lettuce, cabbage, carrots, really tiny seeds, barely get covered at all. Pumpkins, squash, zucchini, get planted much deeper. Peas and beans are sorta in between.

Having said all that, it is much less critical when using vermiculite as the stuff doesn't form a "crust" so even the teeniest seedlings can break through. So if you cover your seedlings with vermiculite, the depth is much less important.
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 2/27/2012, 5:41 pm

JK, your new beds look great.

Maybe next year you can sprout your peas and plant them earlier in the year, so they will be producing before you are ready to set in your tomato transplants.
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JK on 2/28/2012, 9:07 am

Thanks Furbalsmom.

I definitly plan to have a sprouting area set up next year. Just didnt have the time/funds to get it going soon enough this year . Hopefully by then I will also have a few more beds Smile.

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 2/28/2012, 12:29 pm

I got a late start my first year and had to buy several transplants from the local nurseries so I know the feeling. Some seeds went in later than usual but they grew fine just the same, like my first sugar snap peas. By the 2nd year I was going gangbusters, even starting several of my own seeds indoors.
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4695

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I see little green things!

Post  JK on 3/2/2012, 9:49 am

I planted a few squares last sunday when I got my beds built. As of now there has not been a single day without rain since... Was just getting ready to post questioning if to much rain was a bad thing. I got home from work yesterday and I have little sprouts in two of my squares!

If I planted correctly, not certain I did... then it should be radish in one square and mesclun mix in the other. Course now I have to get in gear this weekend and get a fence up quick. Ive given up counting the number of deer out here in the boonies.... There are also rabbits scurrying everywhere. If could just get the wild ones to poop where I need them to...

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

bunny roundup?

Post  curio on 3/2/2012, 9:54 am

There are also rabbits scurrying everywhere. If could just get the wild ones to poop where I need them to..

HAHAHA... if you figure this one out, share the secret Smile
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner on 3/19/2012, 12:00 am

Back to peas...I soaked mine overnight, and planted them the next day. They started popping up within a week. It seems to be a particular type (I planted 4 varieties)....and I don't know what it was right now!

In contrast to the beans (all are bush type), which we did not soak, and they were planted a week earlier. I think I have seen few little k'nogins pushing up...lentils. But we did get some pretty cool weather after they were planted. They have time.

We were clearing weed seeds from the common area of the gardens last week and my DD found 3 peas in a pod. Definitely climbers (we were working on a fence). Not sure what variety they are though. The administrator was planting more last weekend, not concerned that our heat will be here soon.

If you are going to saving those seeds, be sure to put them in a zip lock or resealable box and tuck them away in your fridge. Word is it helps them stay fresh.
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JK on 3/20/2012, 9:03 am

I have gotten almost every one of my 32 squares planted. Just waiting on tomato and pepper transplants for 4 squares and then ill be done. I have about 45 bush beans planted and so far I think all but one has sprouted cheers.

I was just able to put in broccoli transplants yesterday... Its getting hot quick...did I wait to late?

My cucumber and squash were direct sowed a few days ago and they have sprouted. Direct sowed swiss chard sunday. Carrots, radish, beets, several types of leaf lettuce, are all growing and looking good Very Happy.

Finally got around to the compost bin... I built 3 connected bins, each 4ft wide, about 4ft high, and around 3.5ft deep. Re-claimed wooden squares/frames that were attached to the bottom of stoves during transport. Its not pretty but cant beat free Wink.

I also have red potato, chives, peppermint, pineapple sage, lavender, and lemon balm in containers. I planted lime basil and cinnamon basil seed in a couple containers, hopefully they will sprout. Im slowly adding more herbs as I can.

Ill try and get pictures this evening and post them in a day or so.

Loving my first garden .

JK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: