Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by sanderson Today at 4:06 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:03 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:59 am

» Amaranth
by sanderson Today at 2:45 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 2:29 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:03 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do you grow Oregon Sugar Pod II peas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you grow Oregon Sugar Pod II peas?

Post  gwennifer on 1/6/2012, 4:11 pm

I grew them in my SFG last fall (first time growing peas of any kind). I have a bunch left in the seed packet, so will plant them again this spring and I have a few questions:

1. Seed packet said to thin to 6", so I did the math and planted them 4/square. Later, referencing THE BOOK, I see Mel says edible pod peas go 8/square. (Huh? What's the square root of eight? What's the ZAP ZAP, BING BING BING method for eight?). Wait - I could have had TWICE AS MANY? Shocked Tell me, is that how many you planted per square?

2. Some of the peas grew long and flat, just like in the seed packet picture. Many others were fairly deformed: short, twisted and bulgy, especially as the season wore on. Still edible of course, but can't help but wonder if something was wrong?

3. I just read about inoculants in a seed catalog. Should I do this?

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you grow Oregon Sugar Pod II peas?

Post  boffer on 1/6/2012, 4:26 pm

1. I plant in the half square closest to the trellis. 2 inch seed spacing; 2 inch row spacing; for both peas and pole beans.

2. I grew Oregon Sugar Pod without II: I got the same results. I was having other problems last summer, and wasn't sure if there was an issue with the peas so I didn't pursue it. It will be interesting to see if others experienced the same thing.

3. I've never used innoculants so I don't have a comparison to offer.

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 1/6/2012, 7:20 pm

Hmmmm. Interesting. I planted nine per square and have never grown them before. I have two squares of those and two of Sugar Snap. I will be interested to see how they turn out.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 1/6/2012, 9:01 pm

@gwennifer wrote:I grew them in my SFG last fall (first time growing peas of any kind). I have a bunch left in the seed packet, so will plant them again this spring and I have a few questions:

1. Seed packet said to thin to 6", so I did the math and planted them 4/square. Later, referencing THE BOOK, I see Mel says edible pod peas go 8/square. (Huh? What's the square root of eight? What's the ZAP ZAP, BING BING BING method for eight?). Wait - I could have had TWICE AS MANY? Shocked Tell me, is that how many you planted per square?

2. Some of the peas grew long and flat, just like in the seed packet picture. Many others were fairly deformed: short, twisted and bulgy, especially as the season wore on. Still edible of course, but can't help but wonder if something was wrong?

3. I just read about inoculants in a seed catalog. Should I do this?

• I planted my sugar annes about 15 per square, they did fine spacewise, I had a few that didn't make it per square, either because of poor germination or the vine just crapped out.

• when they get bulgy, the peas inside are growing, I think if there is deformation, there may be inconsistent watering. However, it could also be a symptom of something undesirable, like nematode, or something. Did you happen to look at the roots when you pulled up the plants?
  • The inoculant is just a microbial boost for the peas, if you plant where you grew them before, you should be fine, as there are probably enough microbes already in the mix. But the inoculant is not a bad idea.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper on 1/7/2012, 5:32 am

Oregon Sugar Pod II peas will occasionally curl and a few of the pods will be short. If they start to bulge the peas inside are growing and I let them continue to grow so I will have seed stock for the next year. I also grow Alaska peas (sow in January as they are winter hardy) and a few will sometimes curl also.
Last year I planted 9 per square in one box and 16 per square in another to use up all my 2010 seed and they all did well.

happycamper

Female Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 1/8/2012, 12:10 am

Well thank you to the folks who replied! I'm curious how you all ever decided to plant them so closely together?

I wish I had looked at the roots as I'd pulled them (rookie mistake). All I remember is it was much easier to pull and clean up those squares then the broccoli squares. But I looked up nematodes and, heaven help me, I hope they aren't in my garden! affraid

I was wondering if maybe peas were heavy feeders and just couldn't keep growing nicely without a boost, since the short/curly ones became more common as the plants aged.

Anyway, I guess I'll plant them heavily this spring and see what happens.

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee on 1/8/2012, 12:55 am

lol! As with all of us, short and curlies proliferate with age.

Beans do the same as they reach the end of their production. They're just getting tired.

Peas and beans aren't feeders. They're restorers. A good crop rotation is
Heavy feeders like corn, tomatoes, broccoli, and their families;

Root crops, like carrots, beets, onions, etc.;

Then restoring the soil with legumes.

janezee

Female Posts : 242

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 1/9/2012, 4:33 am

Gwennifer,
Mel says 8 per square, which I interpret as 4 on each side of the square. He also says to check the cultivation instructions on the package, and use the thin to inches apart to determine your spacing.

Most of the climbing peas in my collection state to plant one or two inches apart.
I ended up planting 16 per square and got pretty good results. I had originally planned 8 per square.

Looking at Territorial Seed's description of cultivation for Oregon Sugar Pod II, they indicate 1 inch apart with no thinning, so I intend to go with 16 per square.

I agree with camprn's statement regarding the inoculant, it is most useful when planting peas in a new square, wherever you did not plant peas the prior year. If planting in a new square, I would pick up the smallest amount of inoculant possible, you don't use much and be sure to check the expiration date. Inoculant has a very short shelf life.

Here's to a heavier crop because we can plant more than we thought.

Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 1/10/2012, 11:37 pm

Okay, thanks janezee and furbalsmom. I'm going to skip the innoculant. It is very expensive for how little I'd use and if you say it won't keep than that makes it VERY expensive (using it for just one sowing). I am going to be sowing them again where I planted them last fall, only I'm going to sow them thicker this time!

According to Territorial Seed, innoculants help with nitrogen fixing. If that's a problem legumes tend to have, that could explain the yellowing of some of the pods and plants then, rather than nematodes or lack of provided nutrition. Thanks for assuring me that they aren't heavy feeders. And if shorties and curlies come with age, then maybe this time around I'll pull the plants out sooner and get something else in the ground.

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee on 1/11/2012, 2:48 am

gwen,
My nurserywoman at Ace pointed me in the direction of "Mykos" from Extreme Gardening, which is the $1.99 version of inoculant. I love that she told me that it's the stuff for the folks who don't need brand names, and it works just as well. She knows her stuff, so I got it.

It's a couple of ounces, rather than a few grams. LOTS bigger package.
I did all my 12 squares of peas and 12 squares of beans with it. You're supposed to use it for 6 plants, but I just sprinkled it like powder in the holes, or on the damp seeds before I dropped them in the hole. They are organisms that are supposed to multiply, so I just wished them long and fruitful lives as I said Sayonara. Best beans and peas ever, and no powdery mildew or pea enation mosaic virus.

Was worth it, in my opinion, because I think that MM is conducive to keeping them happy and fruitful. My soil can only improve over time. There's no test I can give my soil to confirm they're there, so what's $1.99 gonna hurt? That mycorrhizae helps all the plants, too. And healthier plants can fend off pests and diseases better.

As I've heard it said, "Plants are not suffering from a lack of pesticides." Razz
j

janezee

Female Posts : 242

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 1/11/2012, 1:26 pm

Interesting read on that Mykos stuff. Thanks for sharing.

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:30 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum