Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Horsetail weed
by Kate888 Today at 12:17 pm

» Path Width
by trolleydriver Today at 11:23 am

» MD Home & Garden Ticket Drawing (until 2/24/18)
by sfg4uKim Today at 8:41 am

» A new SFG fan from Texas
by Mastogarden Today at 8:16 am

» N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?
by aliceingardenland Today at 7:26 am

» Hi Everyone
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:19 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:16 am

» Mid-Atl - Feb 2018 - Anyone starting seed indoors yet?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:22 am

» Hello from Northern Ontario Eh!
by skidmoca Yesterday at 9:04 pm

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Floating Away and New Seeds!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» ahoy mateys from Arkansas
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: February 2018 !
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:22 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by Scorpio Rising 2/21/2018, 8:49 pm

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 2/21/2018, 5:13 pm

» Your favorite blackberries or raspberries?
by AtlantaMarie 2/21/2018, 7:07 am

» Aerogrow by Miracle Grow
by AtlantaMarie 2/21/2018, 7:05 am

» Seed Organizing Ideas
by AtlantaMarie 2/21/2018, 7:04 am

» Areogardening
by BeetlesPerSqFt 2/20/2018, 9:54 pm

» 2018 SFG in Brooks, GA
by Scorpio Rising 2/20/2018, 9:39 pm

» has55's R & D Journey
by sanderson 2/20/2018, 1:55 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson 2/20/2018, 1:43 am

» WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins
by bigdogrock 2/19/2018, 10:28 pm

» The New Square Foot Gardening Foundation page is now online!
by sanderson 2/19/2018, 6:40 pm

» February: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by sanderson 2/19/2018, 6:31 pm

» Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies.
by sanderson 2/19/2018, 6:23 pm

» excited to be here!
by Kate888 2/19/2018, 2:57 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson 2/18/2018, 12:16 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Go down

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  ashort on 1/16/2012, 5:52 pm

For anyone in the DFW area, I have some leftover leek and onion sets (1015's, white, and red). If you want them, just let me know. For reference - I am in Frisco, not far from 121 and Tollway...
avatar
ashort

Male Posts : 520
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 49
Location : Frisco, TX zone 8a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  Goosegirl on 1/17/2012, 7:58 am

@ashort wrote:For anyone in the DFW area, I have some leftover leek and onion sets (1015's, white, and red). If you want them, just let me know. For reference - I am in Frisco, not far from 121 and Tollway...




RATS! It would take me a plane ride or a looooong drive to be in the area! Onions are the one thing I didn't get ordered. In your area they are probably Short Day anyway. I'll keep telling myself that to ease the pain of missing out!

GG
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 53
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  ashort on 1/17/2012, 9:55 am

@Goosegirl wrote:
@ashort wrote:For anyone in the DFW area, I have some leftover leek and onion sets (1015's, white, and red). If you want them, just let me know. For reference - I am in Frisco, not far from 121 and Tollway...




RATS! It would take me a plane ride or a looooong drive to be in the area! Onions are the one thing I didn't get ordered. In your area they are probably Short Day anyway. I'll keep telling myself that to ease the pain of missing out!

GG

Yes, they are short day varieties... you may still be able to order from dixondale farms They have short, intermediate, and long day varieties and ship when it is planting time for your zip code...
avatar
ashort

Male Posts : 520
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 49
Location : Frisco, TX zone 8a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  Goosegirl on 1/17/2012, 10:43 am

@ashort wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:
@ashort wrote:For anyone in the DFW area, I have some leftover leek and onion sets (1015's, white, and red). If you want them, just let me know. For reference - I am in Frisco, not far from 121 and Tollway...




RATS! It would take me a plane ride or a looooong drive to be in the area! Onions are the one thing I didn't get ordered. In your area they are probably Short Day anyway. I'll keep telling myself that to ease the pain of missing out!

GG

Yes, they are short day varieties... you may still be able to order from dixondale farms They have short, intermediate, and long day varieties and ship when it is planting time for your zip code...

Time is not the issue - I have already over-spent what Hubby considers the $$$ for 'minimal upkeep' I promised the SFG's would only require after the initial $ outset last year! Those dang seed catalogs are just so purdy and hypnotizing!

GG
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 53
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  camprn on 1/17/2012, 11:11 am

GG and anyone else interested in growing onions and if you have never grown onions from seed before and you really, really, really want to grow some, I have a suggestion, go get a packet of seeds at the discount department store, like Big Lots or Job lots, even wally world already has some discount seed. I think the seed is '30% off' the label price. Sow in a container, like the ones mushrooms come in. Sow in the next week or so. They take a long while to get going, but you should have transplants at the time you will need them. For those of us in the northern climes, they may need transplanting into larger container later, before finally transplant into the garden.

Onion seedlings


When I sow onions like this I usually use one packet in one of these containers. They will grow thickly and when they get large enough, you just need to separate the seedlings, usually at transplanting time. The other alternative, for folks who have never grown onions before, is that later in the spring you can usually get onion sets. Sets are small seed onions that were grown the year before so there is a huge head start. Last year these were around $2.65/lb.

Onion Sets

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  Goosegirl on 1/17/2012, 3:48 pm

@camprn wrote:GG and anyone else interested in growing onions and if you have never grown onions from seed before and you really, really, really want to grow some, I have a suggestion, go get a packet of seeds at the discount department store, like Big Lots or Job lots, even wally world already has some discount seed. I think the seed is '30% off' the label price. Sow in a container, like the ones mushrooms come in. Sow in the next week or so. They take a long while to get going, but you should have transplants at the time you will need them. For those of us in the northern climes, they may need transplanting into larger container later, before finally transplant into the garden.

Onion seedlings


When I sow onions like this I usually use one packet in one of these containers. They will grow thickly and when they get large enough, you just need to separate the seedlings, usually at transplanting time. The other alternative, for folks who have never grown onions before, is that later in the spring you can usually get onion sets. Sets are small seed onions that were grown the year before so there is a huge head start. Last year these were around $2.65/lb.

Onion Sets

Thanks for the incentive! I have wanted to try growing onions from seed but have been a little afraid. Last summer I saved 10+ of those plastic containers from berries, so I am set with the growing space. Now if I can find a few seed packets locally on clearance I should be able to sneak them in under the radar!
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 53
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  newstart on 1/17/2012, 6:54 pm

here in Houston but still cant make the drive lol
avatar
newstart

Female Posts : 335
Join date : 2011-11-22
Age : 36
Location : houston, texas zone 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  Goosegirl on 2/19/2012, 8:31 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:
@camprn wrote:GG and anyone else interested in growing onions and if you have never grown onions from seed before and you really, really, really want to grow some, I have a suggestion, go get a packet of seeds at the discount department store, like Big Lots or Job lots, even wally world already has some discount seed. I think the seed is '30% off' the label price. Sow in a container, like the ones mushrooms come in. Sow in the next week or so. They take a long while to get going, but you should have transplants at the time you will need them. For those of us in the northern climes, they may need transplanting into larger container later, before finally transplant into the garden.

Onion seedlings


When I sow onions like this I usually use one packet in one of these containers. They will grow thickly and when they get large enough, you just need to separate the seedlings, usually at transplanting time. The other alternative, for folks who have never grown onions before, is that later in the spring you can usually get onion sets. Sets are small seed onions that were grown the year before so there is a huge head start. Last year these were around $2.65/lb.

Onion Sets

Thanks for the incentive! I have wanted to try growing onions from seed but have been a little afraid. Last summer I saved 10+ of those plastic containers from berries, so I am set with the growing space. Now if I can find a few seed packets locally on clearance I should be able to sneak them in under the radar!

Well, I did it! Today I scattered 2 packs of onion seeds (Rossa di Milano and Walla Walla) in a 20x32 tray. They took up 2/3 of the tray, and then for the last 1/3 I did rosemary, oregano, and 2 types of basil. If it works I will have my onion plants for the garden and a bunch of herbs ready for both the garden and my indoor Garden Stick herb garden.

GG
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 53
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  camprn on 2/19/2012, 8:36 pm

YOU GO GG! cheers

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum