Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sweet Potatoes
by countrynaturals Today at 11:36 am

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by countrynaturals Today at 11:26 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:01 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 10:51 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:32 am

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:29 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:23 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:43 pm

» jalapeno variety question?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 6:03 pm

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:28 pm

» Areogardening
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:24 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:15 am

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:09 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals 12/12/2017, 5:08 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson 12/12/2017, 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 12/11/2017, 6:39 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 12/11/2017, 2:40 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by countrynaturals 12/11/2017, 11:44 am

» Mushroom in my lettuce!
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:40 pm

» 5-BOOK BUNDLE GIVEAWAY - ENDS 12/1/17
by No_Such_Reality 12/10/2017, 4:15 pm

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 1:36 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/10/2017, 1:24 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by brianj555 12/10/2017, 12:50 pm

» WARNING! Please Read! (Especially Grandparents)
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2017, 8:53 pm

» The start of the New Garden
by brianj555 12/9/2017, 1:35 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by countrynaturals 12/8/2017, 6:26 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG in North central Florida

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SFG in North central Florida

Post  luckdragon on 1/21/2012, 5:39 pm

I have read many many posts in other forums about SFG in Florida not being successful. I haven't noticed many posts from gardeners in Florida. I don't see why it shouldn't work. But the main thing I have noticed people complaining about is disease and nematodes. Are these a major issue in Florida and is it still feasible to use SFG in Florida? My family and I are excited about our SFG this year but I don't want it to be a huge let down from all these problems. I don't understand how nematodes could be any more of a problem in a SFG than a traditional garden.

Anyways we are in zone 9 and hoping to link up with some people that have had success in this area.

thx in advance and sorry for the wall of text.
luckdragon

Male Posts : 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SFG in North central Florida

Post  Chopper on 1/21/2012, 10:11 pm

There will always be naysayers. But if disease and nematodes are the problem, then it is SFG neutral and sounds like they are saying do not garden at all.

Nematodes can be controlled by a number of methods, including beneficial nematodes and disease has a lot of ways to be controlled from making sure there is plenty of air movement to baking soda sprays to once a week horticultural fungicides. Up to you.

In an SFG you can control nematodes by having an impervious barrier between your SFG and the ground or by using table tops. Disease is disease and we all deal with it. Florida, although hot and humid is not a special case as far as SFGs are concerned, if it works in Maine and Minnesota and Washington and California and Arizona and Arkansas and Mississippi and Hawaii with all their varying climates there is absolutely no reason it does not work in Florida. You might have to water. Big deal. Vegetables need water and to pretend otherwise is foolish.

We do have members in Florida and hopefully they will speak out also about their specific experiences.

As a matter of fact, I heard Mel say the other night at an event that he did a PBS show in Florida about SFG. So I KNOW it works there. LOL.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BillOcala on 2/18/2012, 8:11 am

This is good Florida specific general garden info - it is a long read but there is reall solid information in there. You will definately get at least a little something usefull out of it. Florida Vegetable Garden Guide

Last edited by camprn on 2/18/2012, 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : activated link)
BillOcala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 2/18/2012, 8:45 am

I'm not in Florida, but I am in zone 9...deep south Texas, where yesterday morning I was sweating like a pig in 69 degree weather because of the 93% humidity. Laughing

I like to call it "extreme gardening" down here. I've just completed 2 full years of SFGing and it's been quite the fun ride...learning about powdery mildew, downy mildew, squash vine borer, aphids, etc. Oh, and that peppers and tomatoes don't set when temps get too high, even nighttime temps..but I've also learned that okra and eggplant love the heat. I've learned how to garden through the winter and this year we didn't get a single freeze, so I have tomato plants that have overwintered...how fun is that?!

For me the biggest thing has just been learning not to take for granted that any "conventional wisdom" applies in my climate. The first year I drove myself crazy over things like "waiting for the soil to warm up"...until I realized that my soil never gets "cold" by other people's standards.

I don't think SFG doesn't work in zone 9. I just think that ANY kind of gardening is a bit more challenging than it in places. A long season has just as many drawbacks as it has advantages. Also, I think a lot of people try gardening the way it's done in most of the country and fail as a result.

Hope that helps answer your question! I've got 3 little ones and SFGing is what has made it possible for me to at least pretend to keep up lol!

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum