Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:35 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

by sanderson Today at 2:30 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

organic sq ft gardening?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

organic sq ft gardening?

Post  kimmykim on 1/26/2012, 1:23 pm

I am new, have not read the book yet nor started my garden. I was wondering if the book had instruction for organic gardening?

Kimmmykim

kimmykim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: organic sq ft gardening?

Post  camprn on 1/26/2012, 1:29 pm

HI Kimmy, it does talk about it some, but really it depends on the definition of 'organic' that you are using. I would suggest trying to get a copy through your local library. I know that HALF.com has the All New Square Foot Gardening book for about $10 right now.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 1/26/2012, 1:58 pm

I second camp. There are a bunch of 'official' definitions of organic. You will have to decide for yourself what organic means.

Vermiculite and peat come out of the ground and aren't adulterated to the best of our knowledge, so I guess they are organic.

Is grass used for compost organic? It depends on how it was fertilized and weed controlled.

In some circles, manures used for compost aren't considered organic unless the feed is organic. Tracking backwards to the source of the grain to see if the grain was grown organically will become quite a project.

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 1/26/2012, 2:06 pm

Welcome!

While the book doesn't SPECIFICALLY have a section on growing "organic". If you mean growing without synthetic fertilizers or insecticides, then I would say that SFG is COMPATIBLE to growing your food organically.

Mel's Mix uses BLENDED compost which provides all the nutrients your plants need without the use of fertilizers.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1858

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 1/27/2012, 3:51 am

@sfg4uKim wrote:Welcome!

While the book doesn't SPECIFICALLY have a section on growing "organic". If you mean growing without synthetic fertilizers or insecticides, then I would say that SFG is COMPATIBLE to growing your food organically.

Mel's Mix uses BLENDED compost which provides all the nutrients your plants need without the use of fertilizers.
+1 that's what I call organic.

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart on 1/27/2012, 10:27 am

It is very much up to you. Square foot gardening gives you the foundation to do what you want. YOu organic you got it. It is really up to you what you do with the garden..

newstart

Female Posts : 335

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Organic gardening

Post  tomperrin on 1/27/2012, 10:59 am

I consider Mel's Mix to be a form of organic gardening when one follows the process in Mel's book. No, our garden is not "Certified Organic", as that is at least a three year certification process in New Jersey and hideously expensive.

But, we're not using petroleum based or chemical based fertilizer. I personally don't use inorganic pesticides. Last year I did not have a single bug problem until October. This year we will use vinegar to kill the weeds in the driveway, and we'll try the boiling water method mentioned in another thread. But the weeds in the square are so few and so easily picked out by hand there is no need for any commercial weed killer.

Our compost, whether home made or store bought, supplies enough nutrients to make our plants grow and taste excellent. Anything beyond that is a matter of experimentation and curiousity rather than need.

Tom

tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AranMC on 1/27/2012, 2:30 pm

I will be organic SFG ... Health issues means I have to be careful what I use so I'm going au natural.... It's also cheaper...

I'll be using companion planting and using flowers to confuse pests and attract good insects... It means I'll be spending a couple or three hours or more each day weeding and squelching bugs and slugs and baddies... But it's good exercise for me which I need.. and it means I'll be outside and not stuck on this nasty computer all day, every day...lol
Much as I love my computer, I need to get a life...

Aran

AranMC

Female Posts : 80

View user profile http://vibrantinhealth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 1/27/2012, 2:40 pm

@AranMC wrote:

Aran

.............................. Shocked me too!
I can hardly wait for Spring. It is so far away! Sad

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 1/27/2012, 8:34 pm

@AranMC wrote:I will be organic SFG ... Health issues means I have to be careful what I use so I'm going au natural.... It's also cheaper...

I'll be using companion planting and using flowers to confuse pests and attract good insects... It means I'll be spending a couple or three hours or more each day weeding and squelching bugs and slugs and baddies... But it's good exercise for me which I need.. and it means I'll be outside and not stuck on this nasty computer all day, every day...lol

Aran

I assure you that you will likely not spend a couple of hours a season weeding.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 on 1/28/2012, 4:29 am

@Chopper wrote:
@AranMC wrote:I will be organic SFG ... Health issues means I have to be careful what I use so I'm going au natural.... It's also cheaper...

Aran

I assure you that you will likely not spend a couple of hours a season weeding.
+1

shannon1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 1/28/2012, 11:29 am

SFG absolutely lends itself to the Organic gardener, like me. I buy only organic seeds, use home remedies for pests, water with rain water or well water that has been sitting it their pails for over 24 hours for warmth, compost from my own piles and worm bins and compost tea, start my own seedlings, and just love it.

Once your beds are built and in production, use row cover against the worst of the pests and you'll spend very little time picking off the pesky critters. You can get exercise by maintaining your own compost pile, mulching, checking under leaves for the elusive pests, pulling the few weeds just as they emerge, and gathering your tasty produce instead. So buy the book and get started.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AranMC on 1/28/2012, 12:54 pm

I've reordered the book..lol I went and bought the original, so I've just order the ANSFG now...lol

Aran

AranMC

Female Posts : 80

View user profile http://vibrantinhealth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti on 1/28/2012, 3:07 pm

It depends on what you mean by organic. Some of the certifying organizations say that all your inputs must be certified organic.

I compost my kitchen scraps. I don't buy only certified organic food, so my compost would be disqualified.

I buy straw from a local farmer. I've no idea if he is organic or not. I buy it for mulch and then eventually it composts. He was chosen cause he'll deliver and we don't have a pickup truck anymore.

That being said, I've never put non-organic pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers (except compost) on anything I've ever grown. Not even when I lived in town and did all my gardening in containers and had no idea what I was doing.

I'm not even fond or "organic" pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers (except compost, blood meal, bone meal and wood ash). I have used diatamecous earth a few times (when I've had ant problems), and the "escar-go" product once when I had a bad slug infestation.

I prefer avoiding even so-called "organic" products that kill things though. Just cause something is natural doesn't mean it's good; arsenic and cyanide are perfectly natural. And we don't put "stuff" on our lawn except the same inputs on our garden.

I am not terribly fond of certifying agencies in general.

For example, I want eggs from chickens either in tractors on pasture or just generally running around loose - REALLY free range. I don't want omega-3 eggs cause they got fed lots of flax meal, but cause they're in the sunshine and eating bugs and grass.

I want beef from cattle raised entirely on grass, including for finishing. "Organic" doesn't get me the CLA and vitamins A and D I need.

The "humane" certification for pork includes that the pigs are only fed a vegetarian diet; since pigs are omnivores, I don't see what is so "humane" about that. I'm an omnivore and I'd consider being forcefed a wholly vegetarian diet to be cruel and unusual punishment. Wink

My growing is "organic" enough for me, but I'd never be able to get certified, even if it weren't horrendously expensive to do so.

IMO, this is one of the advantages of growing your own or buying from farmers you know - you're not relying on someone else's idea of what is good enough.

jpatti

Female Posts : 117

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 on 1/28/2012, 3:52 pm

That was a really nice post jpatti I enjoyed reading it.

staf74

Male Posts : 554

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v on 1/28/2012, 3:57 pm

@staf74 wrote:That was a really nice post jpatti I enjoyed reading it.

Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good points!

Post  tomperrin on 1/28/2012, 6:58 pm

@staf74 wrote:That was a really nice post jpatti I enjoyed reading it.

Ditto!

I'm also not a fan of animals being confined to a small area where they are constantly in wet mud.

I can always eat vegetables if I can't afford meat from grass fed animals.

Needless to say, I've patronized my last fast food restaurant.

SFG has given me a whole new palate and a whole new way of life.

T.

tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 1/28/2012, 7:37 pm

Thankfully we don't have to get officially certified 'organic' when we grow for ourselves.

I know it takes lots of work to get certification. The farmer beside our community gardens is Certified Organic and our community gardens have to be grown that way because he can't have unorganic foods grown or chemicals used within something like 3 miles of his gardens. Even the seeds have to be Organic seeds so anything I start for the Food Pantry rows has to be organic seeds and no chemicals used whatsoever. State officials come to check on his methods and our community rows near him quite often.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker on 1/29/2012, 3:47 am

@camprn wrote:
@AranMC wrote:

Aran

.............................. Shocked me too!
Me 3

Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 355
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker on 1/29/2012, 3:55 am

Wow, what a great post jpatti! and this is only your second week!

Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 355
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum