Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:46 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Best way to kill off the lawn

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best way to kill off the lawn

Post  littlesapphire on 1/26/2012, 8:59 pm

Well, I've been thinking about replacing the grass around my SFGs with mulch so it's easier to mow around my garden and also (hopefully) cut down on the slug population. The problem is, I don't really want to remove all that turf by hand. Is there an easier way to kill the grass? Or can I just put down weed block and mulch right over the living grass?

littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Best way to kill off the lawn

Post  camprn on 1/26/2012, 9:07 pm

You could try cardboard or newspaper and wood chips, that should do it. What a Face

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 1/26/2012, 9:15 pm

There are sod strippers too you can rent. They do a great job and they are quick. The one drawback is they work best on nice, plush, healthy grass. But they will strip it right up! Grass is THE HARDEST thing to kill when you want it gone and the hardest to keep nice when you want it nice and plush Razz

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 1/26/2012, 9:25 pm

I cut the sod into 10 inch squares and just pushed garden fork tines under the turf square and lifted it right up. I took all those 10" squares and turned them upside down, on top of each other, building a stack next to the compost pile. It quietly composted by itself and the next year I put the resulting soil into my flower beds. flower

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 1/26/2012, 9:29 pm

I have done something similar too camp (shh, don't tell the wife I used on of the butcher knives from the kitchen) Razz

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 1/26/2012, 9:43 pm

nKedrOoStEr wrote: Grass is THE HARDEST thing to kill when you want it gone and the hardest to keep nice when you want it nice and plush Razz

Ain't that the truth!

The way I kill unwanted grass at the restaurant is to take the not-quite boiling water left in the steam table and pour it over the grass, or the boiling water left over from pasta. I wouldn't pour water from the tap in order to boil it to kill the grass, but depending on how much boiling one does...???

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 1/26/2012, 9:54 pm

I have about an acre of wild grass that I am trying to "tame" it into lovely soil
I have read that weeds carcasses have many micronutrients that regular plants are not hardy enough to dig that deep (IE pulling out a weed is always MUCH harder than removing last years crop, that is if you do that)

I have also read that the roots of dead plants (weeds included Sad ) leave channels in the soil that provide for better aeration of the soil and they actually compost in place.
For these reasons, I cover my "grass" with large sheets of cardboard. If left for 2- 3 seasons, it will eventually rot and the soil underneath is much better for the process. It is loose, easier to dig into and richer.
So do not waste that great grass you have, if you just cover it up, it will provide you with something better...... eventually

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Noie on 1/26/2012, 10:26 pm

Well, I've never purposely done it, but I do know a few things that work!

1. Neglect the heck out of it all summer long. Seemed to be pretty effective in many states.
  2. Give it a good watering....right before a good hard freeze. (This is what happens when you move from someplace hot to someplace that isn't...and have no idea what a hard freeze even is!)
  3. Overfertilize! Just let the mixing instructions be off by a digit or two.
  4. Leave something on top of it. It seems like that can be pretty much anything - books, toy wagons, overturned wheelbarrows. Be creative! You could even kill patterns into it if you wanted to.

And there's probably a lot of fun things you could do too! Like...pouring gasoline on it and burning that sucker down! Or renting a pony and riding it all around to tear it up. The goal isn't usually to destroy a lawn, so have some fun while you have the chance!

Noie

Female Posts : 63

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies on 1/26/2012, 10:56 pm

When moving into my present residence six months ago, I inherited a row garden that measures approximately 20' x 30' and consisted of more weeds than vegetables. I harvested what I could, but most had begun to bolt and I left everything since, to take its course.

Citing the methods mentioned by others above, I'd like to level the garden, cover it with cardboard and wood chips, then put my SFG boxes on top of that. My question(s) are:

1) Will that combination (cardboard/wood chips) be enough to smother the weeds and existing vegetables, keeping them from eventually growing up through my Mel's Mix as well as it works on lawn?

2) Should I still use weed barrier cloth or is it overkill at that point?

EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 1/26/2012, 11:27 pm

I put my beds on freshly mowed lawn. I put cardboard first, then weed barrier, over all area, including walkways, put in the boxes, then put mulch in the walkways. The only grass/weeds coming up is at the edge where the cardboard/weed barrier ends.

Be sure to overlap the weed cloth, or weeds/grass will find their way in.

For the strong weed sneaking in the walkway, spray with vinegar to kill.

Jo

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 1/27/2012, 5:33 am

I use roof shingles butted up close to the wood and slightly slid it just under the edge of the wood. Mowing was a snap and no weeds. This year I may cover the shingles with mulch or decorative stone.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 1/27/2012, 5:42 am

I was replacing my old carpet with hardwood floors and asked the guys to take the l/r carpet out in one piece. Used it to cover an area where I want to eventually put pavers for a patio. Killed the grass though.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 1/27/2012, 6:28 am

I once hired one of those Mantis electric rototillers that chop & cut up a strip about 18 inches wide and thoroughly trashed the lawn over the weekend , raked out the grass & rubbish then reseeded it.
You could do the same with a pathway & once free of the remains of the grass put a weed blanklet/ covering or mulch down then every couple of week rearrange things if using sa mukch with a rake to upset any new growth .

RE the hot water method of killing grass ... it brought back amusing memories for me .

As army apprentices in winter 1966 , my intake .
We all sneaked a pint mug of hot strong tea out the cookhouse and wrote naughty words in the grass on the friday night .

The big Saturday morning parade saw the Regimental Sergeant Major go beserk .
For from from his dias he could see the words " SCOTS GUARDS RSM's STINK . " in three foot high letters on the grass bank outside our billet.

All hell was let lose , we got CB for three weeks & loads of extra drills & BS inspections etc. Two guys who were deemed ring leaders got jailed for 14 days as an example of who not to follow.
We also had to pay for contractors to come in and re turf the whole area in nice green grass

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tomperrin on 1/27/2012, 8:44 am

@littlesapphire wrote:Or can I just put down weed block and mulch right over the living grass?

This is the easiest solution. It's what we did. We did this late in the season, and the only mulch available to us was Playground Mulch - more expensive, but nice and clean. It really looked good. It will have to be replenished this year though.

Be sure to use the longest lasting weed barrier you can get. Most of the stuff sold in rolls at the box stores is short lived, lasting maybe a year. Try a Nursery Wholesale Supply store for more permanent varieties.

We'll probably use cedar mulch this year despite the cost. It should last a lot longer than other varieties. I don't like the dyed mulch - the value added comes off in your hands and is not worth it to us.

T.

PS: I'm replacing all the painted cedar on the right and the Trex on the left this year with 7" high white cedar, as shown in the center.

tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 1/27/2012, 9:17 am

We also had to pay for contractors to come in and re turf the whole area in nice green grass
SOOOO the hot water works ?? thinking

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 1/27/2012, 11:45 am

Wow, those are some great suggestions! Thanks everyone. I've been killing the weeds that pop up in our driveway with boiling water, so I know that works. I just don't know how much boiling water it would take to cover the amount of grass I want to kill, lol.

Maybe I'll try the newspaper/cardboard under weedcloth and mulch method. But first, I should probably ask hubby if he's ok with me killing part of his lawn Very Happy

littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc on 1/27/2012, 12:27 pm

I used the carboard + mulch method to kill off the turf in an area where I grew watermelon (didn't want to use my SFG for that), and it worked very well. Grass (bermuda volunteers from somewhere else in the neighborhood!) began to grow into the mulch from the edge, but nothing came up from underneath.

In general, it would seem that one good way to kill off a lawn would be to move into my part of the country! I live on 7+ acres (way too much "lawn" to do more than mow), and the droughts over the last 2 summers have killed off all my grass and left only weeds in most of the non-wooded property! YUCK. I've even lost at least a dozen mature trees in the wooded areas.

1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:54 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum